PDA

View Full Version : Why no V8 AWD for 2006 M45?

imbeldar
09-05-2004, 03:36 PM
What reason could there be for not offering a V8 AWD for the 2006 M45?

Infiniti_lover
09-05-2004, 03:42 PM
The V8 and AWD won't both fit in the engine bay.

biker
09-06-2004, 05:37 AM
On the other hand - if the V8 fits in the bay of the new M which is a modified G35, then one could assume that the same V8 might fit in a G35?

titan_ag
09-06-2004, 09:42 AM
On the other hand - if the V8 fits in the bay of the new M which is a modified G35, then one could assume that the same V8 might fit in a G35?

The M isn't a modified G35. The M's platform is new, developed for the G's platform... It's not a reskin. The Maxima, is modified from the Altima's platform, and sits on shares the same wheelbase. That said, I'm pretty confident that the V8 does fit in the G, but they'll wait to the next gen to offer it as an option. Especially since the next gen IS will offer Lexus' next gen V8.

SilverGTS
09-06-2004, 12:48 PM
It's new in as much the same way the Maxima is new compared to the altima. The maxima and altima do not share the same wheelbase. The maxima and murano do however. They are all derived from the same platform. Just like the new M, G, Z and FX all share the same platform, with wheelbases ranging from 104 inches to 114 inches.

hobbie2k
09-07-2004, 08:08 AM
I thought that it was a stretched wheelbase FM platform. From what I've read it seemed that the engine bay has remained pretty much unchanged. (ie all changes are firewall back).

A little while ago in one of the Aussie Silvia forums I'm on there was a huge uproar because a magazine predicted that the Skyline will be offered with a V8 in 2006. They were actually referring to the M45/Fuga (and how, by stuffing the v8 in the M45 they've proven that it will fit in the Skyline) but it was really interesting all the people complaining that, not only have they discontinued the RB, but now it's not even a six cylinder! *gasp, horror!* Then there was this one guy who thought he was the Nissan know-all because he lives in Japan and kept insisting that the magazine was bull just because they put up a pic of the M45 (which he kept insisting was a Fuga, despite the Infiniti logo on the grill)...

Deadpool
09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
FX makes do with V8 and AWD with modifications to the front suspension setup.

hobbie2k
09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
The FM platform is so good that it doesn't need AWD. The G35x is really only worth it in the snow. On dry ground the standard RWD car is faster and handles better.

With a good TCS and ESP I think the RWD M45 should easily handle even the worst conditions, so why bother stealing front-end traction and increasing weight and complexity?

Plus, they might be saving AWD for the car's mid-life facelift, like they did with the G35x.

biker
09-08-2004, 01:15 AM
I thought that it was a stretched wheelbase FM platform. From what I've read it seemed that the engine bay has remained pretty much unchanged. (ie all changes are firewall back).

A little while ago in one of the Aussie Silvia forums I'm on there was a huge uproar because a magazine predicted that the Skyline will be offered with a V8 in 2006. They were actually referring to the M45/Fuga (and how, by stuffing the v8 in the M45 they've proven that it will fit in the Skyline) but it was really interesting all the people complaining that, not only have they discontinued the RB, but now it's not even a six cylinder! *gasp, horror!* Then there was this one guy who thought he was the Nissan know-all because he lives in Japan and kept insisting that the magazine was bull just because they put up a pic of the M45 (which he kept insisting was a Fuga, despite the Infiniti logo on the grill)...

If you look at 05 G35 thread you'll see that one of pics posted there was of a Skyline with the Infiniti logo photoshoed onto it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Fuga pics photoshoped with the Infiniti logo onto it. The Fuga will be out by next month in Japan.

hobbie2k
09-08-2004, 10:55 PM

If you look at 05 G35 thread you'll see that one of pics posted there was of a Skyline with the Infiniti logo photoshoed onto it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Fuga pics photoshoped with the Infiniti logo onto it. The Fuga will be out by next month in Japan.

...The car in the pic was LHD as well...Definitely the M45 concept...