PDA

View Full Version : T/C rod bushings, S13 and S14 same?

SOHC240
12-05-2001, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know if the S13 and S14 tension control rod bushings are the same or not?

I need to know because I am thinking of buying the energy suspension T/C rod bushings.

Also are the T/C rod also called strut rods?

Thanks,
Marshall
blue 90 hatch.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-05-2001, 01:24 PM
bushings are the same. Same as on the Z car too. TC rods are also the same between the Z car and the S13, slightly longer on S14s.

Dennis

SOHC240
12-05-2001, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d240t:
bushings are the same. Same as on the Z car too. TC rods are also the same between the Z car and the S13, slightly longer on S14s.

Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I thought but just wanted to be sure. Energy suspension only lists the bushings for "95-98" models, bUt I figured they would be the same.

Anybody used the energy suspension bushings?

Thanks,
Marshall

Mav1178
12-05-2001, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SOHC240:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have it on my car.

Feels great.

-alex

12-05-2001, 02:23 PM
I've got them on my TC rods...found a subtle but noticeable improvement in steering feel (one of my bushings was shot, so that may have contributed to the improvement).

One thing about the Energy bushings though...I notice that when I've got my car raised, and the suspension at full droop, the bushings actually rub against the TC rod bracket. I doubt this actually occurs during the normal course of driving, with the car resting on the ground, but it might. The Whiteline bushings, I noticed, are designed a little differently -- they're sort-of "carved" away on the ends so they won't rub against the bracket.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SOHC240:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SOHC240
12-05-2001, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

I have it on my car.

Feels great.

-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they really as hard and annoying for normal driving as everyone says?

Marshall

Mav1178
12-05-2001, 09:14 PM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, IMO, but I like my suspension stiff, so it may be unbearable for some.

-alex

12-05-2001, 09:57 PM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. It's a subtle difference.

Now, pillow-ball (spherical bearing) tension rods are another matter entirely...or so I've heard.

Asad

jvh22a
12-05-2001, 10:37 PM
so are the energy susp and white line about the same stiffness? i have the solid ones but don't want to put it on yet... does energy susp sell them seperately?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 06:46 AM

Marshall<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The steering feels a bit stiffer and more responsive...though I'd go with whiteline...its just me http://www.freshalloy.com/

Grant
12-07-2001, 02:04 PM
when you buy the bushings, do they need to be pressed into your existing T/C rods? and how much are these and where can I get them?

12-07-2001, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grant:
when you buy the bushings, do they need to be pressed into your existing T/C rods?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need the old bushings (fluid-filled rubber with a metal sleeve) pressed out and the new ones pressed in. The machine shop will argue and tell you that they'll tear the new bushings pressing them in. They're wrong -- just tell them to use some oil and go for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
and how much are these and where can I get them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bushings run around $40 each, IIRC. You can get the Whiteline ones from Don Nimi at www.pdm-racing.com (http://www.pdm-racing.com) . You can get Energy Suspension bushings from...a lot of places. Don't know anybody specific off the top of my head.

Asad

SOHC240
12-07-2001, 11:17 PM
So I ordered the energy bushings today. They were 75$ canadian with tax. Pretty good I thought. I'll have to wait for the spring to tell you guysd what I think though cuz I am parking my 240 tomorrow and taking out the corolla GTS.

Marshall