PDA

View Full Version : Blow-Through setup and plastic MAFS -will it hold?

SloS13
09-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Im switching over to a blow-through setup (MAFS near TB). I've got a plastic Z32 MAFS. Do you think it'll withstand the strains of 15psi? or will it blow up in a shower of plastic carnage?

Big_Bronze_Rim
09-09-2004, 10:04 AM
People have done it before with no issues. It should be fine, its not that wimpy.

SloS13
09-09-2004, 10:09 AM
that makes me feel better. thanks man

Hugh
09-09-2004, 10:22 AM
I know someone who boosted 2kg/cm2 through his.

Thats almost 30psi.

SloS13
09-09-2004, 10:39 AM
sounds like i got nothin to worry about then. thx for the info

Ovrated
09-09-2004, 05:33 PM
i would like to do that with my z32 maf... dont know how i would seal all of it though

'97 S14 SE Turbo
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
If you follow D1GP, the Blitz R34 Skyline uses a blow through plastic MAFS.

BMac
09-09-2004, 07:10 PM
What is the advantage of a blow through mafs?

Kim_Jong_Il
09-09-2004, 08:29 PM
be able to run an atmo BOV for one.

SloS13
09-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Ive got stalling problems, even with the E-manage anti-stall (gonna retune it from scratch anyways), but mainly it just seems to make more sense. The MAF will be seeing the exact air thats about to get combustified. With a traditional setup, the air still has to get sucked through the turbo, compressed and sent through an intercooler.

Plus, intercoolers get heatsoaked and lose efficiency but with the blow-through setup the MAFS would account for that hotter-than-usual air.

ada180sx
09-09-2004, 11:27 PM
I run a blow through using a z32 maf for my s13. The maf is located on the T/B side end tank of my I/C. I am changing it back to before the turbo though. The car ran amazing w/ the mafs in that location. The problem is I am a drifter and everytime I tap the front end on a rumple strip or the car infront of me, the DAMN thing breaks. I am on my 3rd z32 MAFS. Well, actually I just pulled the internals out and put it into broken r32 Type M mafs. But it still sucks.

stealthx32
09-10-2004, 01:53 AM
combustified.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LOwrestling2001
09-10-2004, 02:46 AM
actually...MAFS meter air, air temperatures don't matter to a mafs...

Hugh
09-10-2004, 07:09 AM
It measures the temperature difference against a reference temperature, right? Meaning, no matter the air temp passing, it will adjust to it?

SloS13
09-10-2004, 07:11 AM
LO - Really? I dont see how not, colder air would cool down the hot wire faster than hot air, so in that respect, wouldnt air temp affect the MAF output voltage?

I know my car runs overly rich when its cold outside. If the MAFS didnt account for temperature, wouldnt it be the other way around?

Hugh
09-10-2004, 07:13 AM
The coolant temp sensor accounts for a cold engine, then adds fuel.

orion
09-10-2004, 08:17 AM
A "MASS" airflow sensor measures the mass of the air coming in...colder air has more mass, and is read as such.

That's the beauty of it...simplicity. It automatically compensates for colder air due to the design.

- Brian

SloS13
09-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Orion - well put

Kookz
09-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Orion - well put

I don't think you understood what he's saying, since he's disagreeing with you.

Cold air passing over the hotwire before the turbo will cool it down more than hot air would, but when it's placed in the intercooler piping, there is still just as much air passing over it...so even though it's hotter, it has to be more dense and therefore still cools it the same amount.

_Def_
09-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I run a blow through using a z32 maf for my s13. The maf is located on the T/B side end tank of my I/C. I am changing it back to before the turbo though. The car ran amazing w/ the mafs in that location. The problem is I am a drifter and everytime I tap the front end on a rumple strip or the car infront of me, the DAMN thing breaks. I am on my 3rd z32 MAFS. Well, actually I just pulled the internals out and put it into broken r32 Type M mafs. But it still sucks.

I've thought about a blow-through setup, but this kind concerns me. How exactly was it breaking? From it being the weak link in the intercooler piping then being basically broken in half when stress was applied?

Also, what are you guys doing for piping size. The Z32 MAFS is about 3" in diameter right? I'm wondering if you can just creatively splice it in say a GReddy cold pipe. Probably not, since you'd need some 3" tubing before the MAFS then a good bit after it.

GraySilvia
09-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm wondering if you can just creatively splice it in say a GReddy cold pipe. Probably not, since you'd need some 3" tubing before the MAFS then a good bit after it.

That's how I have mine set up. I cut off the bottom part of the cold pipe and have one end of the MAF connected to the intercooler outlet elbow, and the other attached to the cut end of the cold pipe. This way the MAF is nicely hidden in the fender well, and everyone will think your car is MAP http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have run into a problem however. The rectangular part of the sensor that sticks out of the tube, the "guts" if you will, that rectangular part is sealed around the top with a rubber gasket/sealer. And now after 5000 miles or so of being pressurized and unpressurized, it has started to cause the rubber seal to fail, causing a boost link and possible messing with the barometric sensor (does the Z32 MAF have a barometric sensor built into it??). I was gonna superglue it back together http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but, I traded a friend for a new one.

dryft_s15
09-11-2004, 09:18 AM
i've got the same problem with the black plastic cap popping off. I just finished carefully putting epoxy on the inside of the sensor around the piece that comes up. that should prevent the cap from popping off under boost.

_Def_
09-11-2004, 11:34 AM
That's how I have mine set up. I cut off the bottom part of the cold pipe and have one end of the MAF connected to the intercooler outlet elbow, and the other attached to the cut end of the cold pipe.

Interesting... What coupler size did you use, and any chance you could take a pic of where you spliced it in?

As for the leak... JB Weld is your bestest friend in the whole world. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

harlock_ssx
09-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm running my Z32 mass air sensor as a blow-through...You need to reinforce the meter by wrapping 2 zip ties around the square part, to the body of the meter. Repetetive boosting will force it off otherwise. A bit of extra silicone around the seal area of it ( where the square part attaches to the meter body) is good insurance as well!

GraySilvia
09-20-2004, 03:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/BBaxR6/Picture015A.jpg

ok, someone requested a pic, so, voila.