PDA

View Full Version : advantages of oil cooler on SR

spbuster77
09-11-2004, 10:36 PM
What are the key advantages to having an oil cooler on an SR20DET engine? I know this seems really vague but how much difference will the temperatures be and will it help the engine and turbo? Anybody know where any decently priced kits are??

_Def_
09-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Well, the advantage is obviously keeping your oil from breaking down IF you are getting really high temps.

Now, I'd say that unless you are taking your car on the track, your oil temps will be just fine. I have a GReddy oil pan and take the temps in the tapped hole provided in the pan and my SR runs very cool during normal driving. Cruising on the interstate puts me at about 140*F on a ~80-90*F day, and some spirited driving gets it up to 170-180*F max. On the track I expect temps in excess of 200*F, but I've heard that anything less than about 260-280*F is fine with synthetic.

I'm pretty sure the GReddy pan affords a good bit of cooling, with its much larger surface area and aluminum construction. It is a good investment due to the baffling and the extra cooling if you drive your car hard.

mattmartindrift
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
useless with a watercooled turbo. You'd be taking the oil out of it's efficiency temperature range. Especially if you're running a synthetic. I'd recommend a tiny one if you plan on doing hour track sessions or more and plan to have glowing turbo parts.

Jsquared
09-12-2004, 11:58 PM
not really useless with a watercooled turbo, but it going to be unnecessary for most street-driven cars. it depends on how much heat is absorbed by the cooling system as well...

RE: Greddy pan... I have my oil temp gauge in there as well, but it seems as if the temps are too low there... although it could be my t-stat since my coolant temps are a little on the low side too...

Glenn
09-13-2004, 12:27 AM
For 30 minute track sessions in hot 90 deg weather I have seen around 220 degrees with my Greddy oil pan.

Street driving is barely 150 degrees

TheRiotHero
09-13-2004, 04:24 AM
im using a non watercooled turbo so i opted for an oil cooler and greddy pan, i havent ran the setup yet, but im expecting everythign to stay fairly cool under extreme situations, im a firm believer in cooler oil, happier engine. (to a point obviously)

not to mention oil does a good amount of cooling for the engine itself.

shoes59
09-13-2004, 06:40 AM
I run a Greddy pan and have yet to see anything above 180 on real hot days in stop and go traffic. However, I too am a firm believer in oil coolers and will likely be installing one with a 180 thermostat this winter. A cooler will lower temps 30 degrees during lapping sessions. A side benefit is it will help keep the water temps more in check. My old track car saw oil temps in the 260 range which I felt was a bit high. I installed a Mocal cooler and stat and my temps dropped to 230 during 30 minute sessions. I'm anticpating the same scenario with my current car.

thedman
09-19-2004, 11:38 PM
In my Autech SR20DE equipped 510 with Greddy pan I was seeing upwards of 270F oil temps after 20minutes of hard track running in 95F ambient at Willow Springs. Water was <200F. I installed a smallish 16 row Earl's cooler, and oil temps were down to <250F at Thunderhill in July (yeah it was HOT!). I'm still amazed at the difference between oil and water temps. Maybe 11.7:1 CR and piston oil squirters has something to do with it? I do have big-ass radiator, but it doesn't seem to help with oil temps. I plan on installing a larger 19 row cooler. Along with the cooler I also installed the Earl's 501 oil thermostat. Oil temps are 175-180 while puttin' around town.
-Ted

mattmartindrift
09-20-2004, 02:50 PM
god I love 90 DSMs...they have an oil Tstat, so when it's not warm enough, no flow to the factory cooler....nissan should have that....wonder if you could use the DSM one...hrm!

Nikeboy355
09-20-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't see any negatives to running an oil cooler especially with that temp switch that uses the cooler only at a certain oil temp... I have quite a few Honda friends(who roadcoarse a lot) that run oil coolers and none of them regret it... I am just waiting to find $400 and I will have a Setrab with the oil filter relocated as well...

shoes59
09-20-2004, 06:49 PM
god I love 90 DSMs...they have an oil Tstat, so when it's not warm enough, no flow to the factory cooler....nissan should have that....wonder if you could use the DSM one...hrm!

An aftermarket stat like the Mocal unit will flow 10% when the temps are below 185 and 100% when above. I'm installing both a Mocal cooler and stat this winter.

mattmartindrift
09-20-2004, 07:13 PM
HOOORAH for free setrabs....

ICESoft
09-22-2004, 09:06 PM

Might look into a cooler from an 2nd gen RX-7 too, they also incorporate a t-stat in the cooler. I'll be using one of these if/when I put my VG30ET in being as it's one of the first years when the turbos weren't water cooled.

Regards,
Benjamin Jennings, MCP