PDA

View Full Version : Code 11 crank position sensor?

PSI240SX
09-12-2004, 06:23 PM
I was driving my car in an autocross and on a fun run at the end of the day I noiced thr car seemed down on power, on the way home it really felt weird, bogging, no power etc. I really noticed it when blipping the throttle for heel toe downshifts, the rev's wouldn't come up as fast as they should. Once I got home I checked the codes and came up with 11. Since the sr has no CPS, it has a CAS so there must be some sort of malfunction there. Now I know if the cas was totally dead, the fuel pump wouldn't even turn on but it does so I guess my question is has anyone ever seen one of these go bad in this way? Causing loss of power and or hesitaion?

Nikeboy355
09-12-2004, 08:04 PM
OMG I was just about to post about the same problem... I am getting major hesitation randomly and my powerwise the car is feeling very weak... How do you fix? or just replace CAS? Could this be caused by some wiring error or just happens?

PSI240SX
09-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Well, did you get the same DTC when pulling codes? If so, then I would say yes, replace the CAS. I am going to as soon as I get my hands on it and see if it changes anything. I will of course post the results.

Nikeboy355
09-13-2004, 07:35 AM
yup... I've got code 11 as well... The only thing I found on searching these forums is that Orion said to clear the codes and trying to see if the symptoms come back... I cleared the codes and drove the car and the code and symptoms came right back... I'm also leaning towards just changing the CAS, anybody else have any input?

Nikeboy355
09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Jay, any luck with this?... I have another CAS being shipped to me so I am hoping that that is the problem... Research has told me that when the CAS breaks, the ECU does not get a signal and the timing goes crazy hence the car starts to hesitate and buck... but it is randomly, kinda like a bad ground wire somewhere that keeps connecting and disconnecting... I wonder if this will get progressively worse and then just stop working all together?! I am sure this is very bad for the engine but it's my daily!

PSI240SX
09-14-2004, 02:51 PM
My new CAS will be here tomorrow 9/15 so i will put it in tomorrow night and post the results after the test drive.

Nikeboy355
09-15-2004, 04:19 PM
well I just got another CAS and put it in and the code is gone!... I only drove the car to get lunch so I really have driven it that long but I verified that there was no code before and no code after the ride...

I guess what we learned is that when the CAS breaks, you will get decreased performance as well as hesitation/bucking until it finally blows...

I didn't give it full throttle because the engine wasn't warmed up but the car didn't feel as strong as it usually does... I am guessing that I might be off by a degree or two when I put the CAS in (I followed the instructions in the FSM)... how do I verify if my timing is correct? I was thinking of using a regular spark plug wire and attaching one side to the plug and the other to the coil pack to use as the signal wire for the timing light, is this right?

PSI240SX
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
my code is gone as well... car seems to act pretty normal. Weird. Anyway, there is a one wire loop in the very back of your valve cover that is connected to the coilpack harness, that's your signal wire for your timing light.

monkeyspeed
10-04-2004, 04:45 PM
are you guys still having problems?...i now have the same problem (code 11) and just wanted to know how it turned out before buying a new cas....thanks for the help...

Nikeboy355
10-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Mine works fine... I just bought another CAS off eBay and had it shipped overnight... car runs just as before...

I want to point out that I have idle problems now and had idle problems before... I am suspecting that the problem with the idle is what eventually caused the CAS to fail...

I believe that at idle and up to about 2500 RPM(with no load) the engine misfires(sounds like I have wild cams!) and stutters because for some reason the timing is being altered by either the ECU or the CAS... I am currently looking into the coolant temp sensor and checking the entire harness, but it is very confusing!? I have checked for boost leaks about a hundred times also... Is it possible that the CAS can break like this because of a possible other sensor or connection being damaged?

fraktal
10-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I once let a friend of mine borrow my 62 ECU for his redtop for like an hour. Well after plugging it back into my car it started acting all funny and the idle was really out of whack. When I got home I checked codes and it was throwing Code 11, so I was like wtf?? Anyways, I ended up disconnecting my battery for a while to reset the ECU. Once I knew it had been enough time to reset itself I then reconnected the battery. Then I proceeded to just simply unplug the CAS and plug it back in. Then I just cleared the codes and it was completely back to normal. Just a suggestion if you don't think your CAS is bad, because I knew mine wasn't.

monkeyspeed
10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
i'll try that tonight...thanks

Nikeboy355
10-05-2004, 12:27 PM
I tried resetting the ECU first before I bought another CAS but the code(and the car drove like crap) came back every time... After I got another CAS and reset the codes, nothing came back...