PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want my rear end?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Hey guys and gals. I'm wanting to switch to a quiafe and dont need another rear end laying around.

Who needs a ready to drop in rear pumpkin with kaaz lsd and side shafts for S14 $1000

just wanted to see response and input on price

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 05:28 PM
how much does a new one cost? isn't it around 700 new?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 05:32 PM
Actually about 8 or 900 from what i remember. Dont forget my unit is complete drop in with the sideshafts that are needed. I had to find out that two left VSLD sideshafts were needed for the kaaz installation and i'm including them with the unit for complete drop in installation. I'll even leave the fluid in there.

if someone wants it in my area......i'll install it for free. Just pay my gas money if you are more than 45 minutes away.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gold95:
how much does a new one cost? isn't it around 700 new?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is why i also asked for input on pricing. Find out what they are going for now and post your price if you're interested or even if you're not. tells me the going rate for this bad booty rear end that handled the power.

ringer
12-06-2001, 07:42 PM
The price is a bit high. Last I checked they were about $750 new from KAAZ. Side shafts would be helpfull for any one who has an open diff. So I would say those are worth $100. Subtrace at least $200 or so for the miles. I could be interested and I am in NOVA.

Off the subject. What are you going to do for side shafts with the Quiafe unit? I was under the impression that it was just the diff like the Kaaz.

-Matt

Mav1178
12-06-2001, 08:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by uuninja:
The price is a bit high. Last I checked they were about $750 new from KAAZ. Side shafts would be helpfull for any one who has an open diff. So I would say those are worth $100. Subtrace at least $200 or so for the miles. I could be interested and I am in NOVA.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LSD output shafts are AT LEAST $260 from a Nissan dealer with a 25% discount. List price on them are over $300 for the pair!

-alex

Rcs476
12-06-2001, 08:53 PM
Nice price, too bad it's so close to the holiday's, lack of funds here, I would buy it in a second if I had the extra money laying around. Free installation too? I'd drive to VA for that, 5 hour drive, approximate cost from NY, $30 each way, $60 total, less then an hours worth of work at a mechanic, plus you could watch and learn a couple of things. You are gaining a hell of a lot more then you are spending.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 09:41 PM
alex thanks for the backup on the money.....i forget how much they were. I got them from Ray @kaaz "put em on the bill"

The extra pumpkin cost me 200 and the kaaz was about 7 or 800 and the sideshafts where in the range alex said. With free install i thought/think $1000 is good. Even for those with VLSD stock they still need one extra sideshaft. For those with Open diff you need two left (i think....i know its the shorter of the two) side VLSD shafts.

I was gonna see what the quaiffe needed. Since i thought i would just have a spare Kaaz'ed rear end around when i get the quaiffe i was gonna use my sideshafts from that rear end.

Its not like the unit is getting sold anytime soon RCS476.......so start saving. I'll swap it for you.

thecmv
12-06-2001, 10:30 PM
why are u switching to quaife?
is it better then the kazz?
so if i have a open diff right now i need the side shafts too?
any chance you would be going to new orleans any time soon?

thanks

my email is

thecmv@hotmail.com

i'm very interested

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 10:36 PM
People, you're not reading the post if you think it's too high. Even if a new KAAZ was $750, you're still going to spend at least $200 labor to get it put in, plus you'll need the output flanges as well, so you're looking at a minimum of $1200-1300 easily. More than that though, because the KAAZ isn't that cheap. Remember this is the ENTIRE rear differential assembly, and not just the internal VLSD unit. The dealer charges $1640 for the whole assembly, so for $1000 you're getting a much better diff, ready to put in, no extra parts required. I'd buy it if I could afford it.

Mav1178
12-06-2001, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greaser:
alex thanks for the backup on the money.....i forget how much they were. I got them from Ray @kaaz "put em on the bill"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I'll put your consulting fee "on the bill".

http://www.freshalloy.com/

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 03:05 AM
semi-on subject post: would the Cusco LSD have to have that shaft setup as well? I have an S14 with the one wheel peel setup...gonna goto japan in a few weeks so im gonna get one over there..just wondering what i would have to bring back to make the setup compelte....

mike2016
12-07-2001, 03:23 AM
How does the Kazz unit compares to Nismo and Cusco? Is it noisy? How long it takes to drive there from Los Angeles, SoCal? http://www.freshalloy.com/

ringer
12-07-2001, 05:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

LSD output shafts are AT LEAST $260 from a Nissan dealer with a 25% discount. List price on them are over $300 for the pair!
-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but that is new from the dealer. But I do understand how hard it is to come by two left side shafts so I will give you that.

Anyway I am interested, just barganing.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thecmv:
why are u switching to quaife?
is it better then the kazz?
so if i have a open diff right now i need the side shafts too?
any chance you would be going to new orleans any time soon?

thanks

my email is

thecmv@hotmail.com

i'm very interested<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm switching because i have the subframe smashed to the unibody with some bushings and a very aggressive clutch that is on or off and the clicking around turns is a little aggrevating. This clicking got even louder(or more butt susceptable) when i got the HKS Hyper D's and all the strut bars. Russ and alex know how picky i am so one could just say i'm whining and they could deal with it if it was in their car. But if the quaiffe is as good as i hear and theres no clutch packs to click and such.......i'll buy and test for every 240 owner that i've heard say someone needs to get a quaiffe for the last 2 years.

I got the kaaz when no-one else had one. and gave input.

"why am i switching".....mainly cuz its a rear end that i havent tested that cant wear out and wont be locked or unlocked at the push of the go pedal. Progressive effects are good for drag racing (at least fast racing) and no-one else has one. I like bragging under my breath.

For those with Open diffs you will need to buy !2! sideshafts. For those with VLSD you will need to buy !1! sideshaft. I had to buy a VLSD before i found out what was needed and then advised Kaaz.

New Orleans? umm not anytime soon.

Since @home accounts are going down with excite......just save this link for those that are interested. Bring the topic back up when whoever has cash money. I may not have email......

Bargoning is cool. guess i have to be more vocal as to what one is getting for $1000. Thanks russ. alex, whenever "the bill" reaches 5 digits long, burn it! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Rcs476
12-07-2001, 06:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greaser:
Its not like the unit is getting sold anytime soon RCS476.......so start saving. I'll swap it for you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll see what happens, I will definately try to scrounge up the money. If you don't have the rear when I come around, no biggie. Good luck selling it though.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nox240:
semi-on subject post: would the Cusco LSD have to have that shaft setup as well? I have an S14 with the one wheel peel setup...gonna goto japan in a few weeks so im gonna get one over there..just wondering what i would have to bring back to make the setup compelte....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

assuming that both units are of the same clutch pack design then you will need the sideshafts.

The factory design is not as thick and thats why there is a longer shaft for the x(i forget) side. But with aftermarket units, they shove as many packs in the space provided and then this causes problems for that longer shaft.

But i said assume. So only way is to talk to someone that has one when you go to japan. I'd get the kaaz cuz they are in the us and when you need to rebuild the unit you can get the parts easy from kaaz.

on the subject of rebuild.....Ray said it should be rebuilt every 2 years. I say hogwash. When i broke the unit in, there was alot of metal in the fluid. But after a year of drag racing and street racing with alot of daily chill driving(and subsequent clicking which makes need for rebuild) i changed the fluid and was free of metal shavings.....even the magnet didnt have anything on it.

This unit (that i have) is a full lock unit. Any type of throttle input locks the rear tires. Since there is no slip, there is no wear on the pack of discs. I HATE the clicking so i always just hit the gas a little harder and make the inside wheel scrub.(remember those three wheelers making a turn) So until this unit stops clicking there wont be a need for a rebuild.

And remeber the clicking !only happens around low speed corners with light throttle!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 07:58 AM
Honestly, I think the clicking sounds cool. It's only noticeable on occasion, and it gives that "I got a surprise" kind of sound, like you're going to kill the next car you race. The Nismo unit has a similar effect, but it does more of a groaning, like it's in pain. Still cool though. I'm rambling again.

mike2016
12-08-2001, 01:56 AM
Greaser how long has this unit been used? my friend has a Nismo LSD, just the LSD, do I need the sideshafts as well? I have a 98 without VLSD. DO i need to do any modification to eletronices when installing the LSD?

97KAT
12-08-2001, 08:42 AM
I think it seems reasonable the dealer quoted over $500 to put in LSD internals.
So $800+$200+500=$1500

You were able to do it yourself so that help save you some money.

Hey guys and gals. I'm wanting to switch to a quiafe and dont need another rear end laying around.

Who needs a ready to drop in rear pumpkin with kaaz lsd and side shafts for S14 $1000

just wanted to see response and input on price<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: 1997 240 sx se ]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-08-2001, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike2016:
Greaser how long has this unit been used? my friend has a Nismo LSD, just the LSD, do I need the sideshafts as well? I have a 98 without VLSD. DO i need to do any modification to eletronices when installing the LSD?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your car has ABS you might have an issue. But i think i have the non ABS pumpkin in there right now. If you car has an open diff you will need to buy 2 sideshafts.