PDA

View Full Version : ok... where to start?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 05:42 PM
hey guys, im new to this forum, but not to Nissan/Infiniti Tuning. i used to own a 95 G20 (P10), but i crashed it http://www.freshalloy.com/ so now ive decided to work at getting an S14 and do the DET swap. im not new to that engine since i wanted to do the swap in my P10 before, but i know the S14 DET is a little different than the BB DET. can anyone tell me what needs to be done and what i need to complete the swap? ie. motor mounts, tranny, ecu... how much boost does the stock S14 DET run? should i use the stock S14 tranny (i read that the KA tranny wont bolt on)? what about the ECU, does the KA Ecu need to be reprogrammed or just use the S14 Ecu? do i need to fabricate FMIC piping or do they have kits for it? is the T25 the stock s14 det turbo? how much hp and torque does the s14 det have? if i plan to run on stock boost, do i have to upgrade anything? ok i think thats all the questions for now, but i think ill come up with more later. peace http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: AznVirus ]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 05:49 PM
Most of the answers to these questions can be found in the forum. The best way to do it is to buy a front clip, but this is expensive. If you are gonna do the swap make sure you deal with someone that is gonna give you everything you need ex (engine, trans, ecu, wiring harness, maf, and cas). A good place to look for most of your ansers is www.srswap.com (http://www.srswap.com) This is also a reliable source for engines/parts.

Meeks32
12-06-2001, 05:55 PM
Ill let people who know more about the SR's give you the info. I know where this may lead if I say this but oh well. If I were you I would seriously consider putting a turbo kit on the KA instead of the swap. From what I have gathered here it seems that you get alot more power easier with it, a good bit more torque & wider power band. If you could find an engine with low miles then thats what I would do, but if you buy one with alot then it would probably be better to just go ahead & do the SR swap.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 06:04 PM
"Ill let people who know more about the SR's give you the info"

If you knew anything about em, you'd recomend it. Obviously you dont own one, so how can you claim to know more about em than those of us that do?

Meeks32
12-06-2001, 06:42 PM
Sorry, Ill let the people who know more about what is needed for the SR swap I mean. Im not going to argue with you which one is better, but Im just saying that he should look into the KA option also. But personaly I think the turbo KA would beat the SR's a$$ anyday http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 06:47 PM
im going with the SR since i had a SR20DE before, and i know how reliable and well built it is. im not worrying about the engine, i know a place that will give me everything, engine, tranny, ecu, harnesses, etc. im just wondering how different the swap is from the G20 and 240sx.

Mav1178
12-06-2001, 06:49 PM
If the KA is in perfectly good working condition, you're throwing away a perfectly good engine to turbocharge.

It all depends on how much power you want to make, and what it is for. More info, kudasai(please)!

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 08:28 PM
i plan to use it as my daily driver and probably run around 10 lbs of boost. this is the way i see it, if i blow the motor i still have the KA to replace it. i might run it on the track here and then but not straight race. and while the SR motor is in, i could start building the KA to a KA-T.

Mav1178
12-06-2001, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AznVirus:
i plan to use it as my daily driver and probably run around 10 lbs of boost. this is the way i see it, if i blow the motor i still have the KA to replace it. i might run it on the track here and then but not straight race. and while the SR motor is in, i could start building the KA to a KA-T.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daily driver? 10lbs of boost?

Sounds like TY's F-Max kit...

I *seriously* think you should go with a KA turbo if your S14 engine is in good condition. As long as you don't plan on pushing 300-350RWHP and just run mild boost, you'll be a-okay.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 10:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

Daily driver? 10lbs of boost?

Sounds like TY's F-Max kit...

I *seriously* think you should go with a KA turbo if your S14 engine is in good condition. As long as you don't plan on pushing 300-350RWHP and just run mild boost, you'll be a-okay.

-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well currently i dont have an S14, i plan to get one in the near future, so i dont know the condition of the motor im going to get. well of course ill have a boost controller, sorry if i wasnt clear, i meant 10 lbs of boost when i run the car hard and probably stock boost, 6 lbs right?, on normal driving days. does it hurt the engine to keep turning the boost up and down? i think ill be trying for 200-230 whp. not that hard to achieve with the SR.

xiiithangel
12-07-2001, 07:33 AM
Sorry to interupt AznVirus's question but

Do you think I should do a KA turbo with a high miliage engine? Because my engine has 248,000km on it (so something like 154099 miles?) I was thinking about a rebuild for the engine, or I was going to do a compression test, and change around a small parts in the KA.

Ok well I wanna hear what Alex has to say. my original phlisophy with engines is:
high miliage = SR with lower km
lower Miliage = KA Turbo
doshio?!? (what should I do?)

- XIIIth Angel

lenso
12-07-2001, 08:02 AM
This is another SR vs KA topic. SR's were meant to be turboed. KA's were not, but it does not mean that it sucks. If my KA didn't have over 100K miles on it, I would definitely get a turbo kit. Since getting SR front clips from Japan meant that the motors have less mileage, I'm saving for the SR. Its all about preferences. Although the KA24DE is torquier than the SR20DE in both turbo and non turbo, I'm going for the SR because of that JSPEC status. http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: LSo-RPS13 ]

Fahaka
12-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LSo-RPS13
This is another SR vs KA topic. SR's were meant to be turboed. KA's were not, but it does not mean that it sucks. If my KA didn't have over 100K miles on it, I would definitely get a turbo kit. Since getting SR front clips from Japan meant that the motors have less mileage, I'm saving for the SR. Its all about preferences. Although the KA24DE is torquier than the SR20DE in both turbo and non turbo, I'm going for the SR because of that JSPEC status.

Why are SR's meant to be turboed and KA's not meant to be turboed?

Can't the KA spin an impeller?

Or is it that it is undersquare that you can't turbocharge the KA?

J/K !!!!!

SR's and KA's both can be turbocharged. It just so happens that if you blow an oil pump for an SR20DET(for FR) you'll have to source the part from Japan, or whoever(ie. jspec, unstable-hybrids.....), the equivalent KA parts could be sourced from say ANYWHERE!

Furthermore, the KA does not have to spin as fast as the SR to produce the same ammount of power. Because it spins slower it is more reliable(in theory, individual results may vary). Oh and the KA has a stronger cast iron block than the SR's aluminum one.

If you are going to go as far as a hybrid motor swap how about the beautiful sounds of an inline 6 (RB25DET), or even better how about a Q45 4.5 liter V8?