PDA

View Full Version : Using JB weld on my oil return ; )

Rick240SX
09-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, I tapped my oil pan and made sure the fitting could actually screw in, then i put JB weld on the threads and on the inside and outside of the pan.. Its holding fine, do you think I have anything to worry about ?

And if anything could they weld on top of the JBweld on the fitting?

Kim_Jong_Il
09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
I for one wouldn't trust something as important as that. I would just get someone to weld that thing on properly. I have stripped JB weld off of parts pretty easily before, it should only be a temporary deal.

Rick240SX
09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Alright well would the shop be able to weld over the jb weld ?

Kim_Jong_Il
09-14-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure really. Probably not, the material might actually melt or disintergrate due to the extreme heat from welding. I would try and get it all off first just to be safe.

Also you want the weld to attach the bung to metal of the pan, not the JB weld. If you have stuff in between the weld and the pan it will still be the weak point in the system. A sufficient weld is all you really need. I would get rid of that stuff, I don't see how it could be of any benefit (that should be justification enough).

jvh22a
09-14-2004, 02:06 PM
my pan has be used for over a year. no problems. i would have welded the fitting on but the fitting was brass.

drift into a curb
09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm piecing together my turbo kit right now. What kind of fitting should I use for the oil return? Size and material? Sorry, kinda new to this turbo stuff.

RDM_II
09-14-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't see a problem if you properly tapped and fitted the bung in, then just JBed it for good measure. That's basically like using RTV except going more extreme, but if the threads were clean and the fitting went in tight, don't worry about it. If you just JBed it in with nothing else holding it, ya, that's stupid and it will eventually come out. I just put a temp probe back in to an oil block adapter with JB because the last two threads had been damaged, it threaded down tight but not enough to fully seal it, a little JB and it's fine.

As far as welding on top of it, no. You'll need to grind it all off and any areas that it contacted.

FSSMan3
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Yea with my experience, as long as theres no flex or movement the JB weld will be ok. If you tapped it correctly I dont see a problem.

jvh22a
09-15-2004, 10:25 AM
you can use a -10 hose for the return. -3 for the feed line.
i use steel braided hose

if you want to use barb fittings it is 1/2 at the bottom of the turbo. and the barb end you can use 5/8