PDA

View Full Version : are 240sx mods worth it if not goin turbo???????

ZENKI_KONG
12-06-2001, 10:14 PM
i've spent the last hour reading though the archives about the mods that people have done. the intake, header, and exhaust of course, and then on to underdrive pully, electric fans, etc. my thing is that the only mod i've heard that adds noticeble power when driven on the daily is the intakes from what i've read. everything is is said to help, but nothing even marginally impressive. so my question is(finally, lol)is it really worth it for me to go beyond an intake and exhaust engine wise. i've got an intake coming in on friday and after that i'll be ordering the rest of the engine stuff pretty quickly. and by the way it's jus my daily driver, cruising car. i want it running good, but after reading these comments, it seems pointless to spent 3 and 400 dollars here and there for an almost unnoticebly power gain????

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 10:19 PM
My suggestion would be to do what you want with the car, if you want a fast car then going turbo would probably be your best option..I would imagine with some good tuning and parts you could get a n/a 240 up to around 200-210 but not much further without significant investment in cams, porting etc...

Look at it like this if your engine is in fairly good shape you can turbo "homemade" for around 1500-2000 maybe even cheaper if you can get good used parts and fab your own manifold..

You can go with a turbo kit which will probably run closer to 3k but will get you everything you need...

abailey269
12-06-2001, 10:23 PM
*Most* people that do a good majority of bolt ons never get out of the 15's in the 1/4 mile. Without doing some serious engine work or forced induction it is hard to make our cars get into the 13's or lower. Dont forget one of the most important aspects of our cars though---its agility. With the right suspension setup you can have a car that handles with some serious superiority. If you want some straight line performance then you may want to get familiar with hearing this:

"How fast do you want to go" and "How much money do you have" are one in the same my man.

If you want to have a car that will do 14 second passes every now and then i would recommend a small shot of NOS (like a 70shot).

If you want to break into the 13's or lower, you will need to turbo, supercharge (i have yet to see one), or build your engine enough to support more NOS.

Just my 3 cents.

-Aubrey

**DONOTDELETE**
12-06-2001, 10:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NC_S14:
i've spent the last hour reading though the archives about the mods that people have done. the intake, header, and exhaust of course, and then on to underdrive pully, electric fans, etc. my thing is that the only mod i've heard that adds noticeble power when driven on the daily is the intakes from what i've read. everything is is said to help, but nothing even marginally impressive. so my question is(finally, lol)is it really worth it for me to go beyond an intake and exhaust engine wise. i've got an intake coming in on friday and after that i'll be ordering the rest of the engine stuff pretty quickly. and by the way it's jus my daily driver, cruising car. i want it running good, but after reading these comments, it seems pointless to spent 3 and 400 dollars here and there for an almost unnoticebly power gain????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the sum of the parts that make the difference. if you want to experience the biggest difference, stockpile the bolt-ons until you get everything that is reasonably affordable and throw them all on in the same weekend.

Turbo plans almost never pan out. I'm sure almost everyone has turbo plans but 10% may actually wind up with a turbo, it's just how things go. Some people wreck their car, other people sell it, and others fall in love and have a family. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I’m trying to say that the first mission to outer space wasn't to the moon.

Bolt-on's aren't a bad route. A couple of guys in the northwest (RZ and Don Nimi) are fairly close to the 200 crank horsepower mark and their bolt-on mods are almost completely different. I bet you could probably put down ~180 to the pavement with a health share of bolt-ons (new JWT cams are probably going to be a big hit).

Anywho I’m not trying to step on any toes, but rationalizing a little bit may save you from cutting off your nose despite your face in the future.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 04:41 AM
The most I have seen at the wheels on an N/A KA was something like 175. That was on Rich Bjornson's car, with 11:1 cr and a lot of boltons (stock flywheel). It is going to be really hard to get 200 wheel hp N/A out of a KA and it still be driveable. You would need lumpy cams, 11:1 cr, and serious dyno tuning.

Dennis

osofast240
12-07-2001, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NC_S14:
i've spent the last hour reading though the archives about the mods that people have done. the intake, header, and exhaust of course, and then on to underdrive pully, electric fans, etc. my thing is that the only mod i've heard that adds noticeble power when driven on the daily is the intakes from what i've read. everything is is said to help, but nothing even marginally impressive. so my question is(finally, lol)is it really worth it for me to go beyond an intake and exhaust engine wise. i've got an intake coming in on friday and after that i'll be ordering the rest of the engine stuff pretty quickly. and by the way it's jus my daily driver, cruising car. i want it running good, but after reading these comments, it seems pointless to spent 3 and 400 dollars here and there for an almost unnoticebly power gain????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

get a turbo kit. get a nsport turbo kit. every body can say what they wany. but from a tuners point of view the turbo kit is the best bang for the buck. very smooth on the street does not require engine work. faster to install than a full engine up grade. also know what you want to do with the car drag, drift, auto cross, road race or just have fun. i had a 91 acura nsx and i perfer a turbo 240sx any day of the week. there is nothing like the surge of a turbo charged car. this is not opnion this is heavy R&D(fact). if you want to know more just email me.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: osofast240 ]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 05:09 AM
Hold on there, Victor.

There is nothing like the surge of a turbocharged car, I agree with you. That statement in itself is inherently an opinion, so don't claim that it is a proven fact. I am sorry, I couldn't let that go by.

Dennis

osofast240
12-07-2001, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d240t:
Hold on there, Victor.

There is nothing like the surge of a turbocharged car, I agree with you. That statement in itself is inherently an opinion, so don't claim that it is a proven fact. I am sorry, I couldn't let that go by.

Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

which do you perfer

osofast240
12-07-2001, 05:27 AM

your going to need a exaust no mater what you do. Apexi n1 makes the best sounding exaust.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 09:22 AM
NC_S14:
Yada Yada Yada d240t. Blah Blah Blah osofast240!!!
And Now, the Reeest of the story.
For an investment of $1900 U.S. dollars, the following will occur:
[list]
JWT ECU (priority 1)..............$500 - $600
ASP underdrive pulley.............$120
2.5" Cat back perform exh.........$300
Injen Full CAI intake.............$250
Electric Fan 16" PermaCool........$98
Colt Cams ( www.pdm-racing.com (http://www.pdm-racing.com) )..$400
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
With this correctly setup in your vehicle and dependant on driving ability for correct launch and shift.
It IS a 15sec 240sx
I do not have the cams, I run a Jacobs Icepak instead of MSD as I was in the works for T-bo futures.
And I can run consistant 15.3 at 2600 launch or 15.5 at 1800(this launch for bracket fun and ease on the drivetrain)
Oh http://www.freshalloy.com/
The 2 other characters I put in my post.. Kinda got it right. http://www.freshalloy.com/ http://www.freshalloy.com/

sil40sx
12-07-2001, 09:45 AM
a good clutch will make a significant improvement too.

Rcs476
12-07-2001, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RZ:

[list]
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
With this correctly setup in your vehicle and dependant on driving ability for correct launch and shift.
It IS a 15sec 240sx
I do not have the cams, I run a Jacobs Icepak instead of MSD as I was in the works for T-bo futures.
And I can run consistant 15.3 at 2600 launch or 15.5 at 1800(this launch for bracket fun and ease on the drivetrain)
The 2 other characters I put in my post.. Kinda got it right. http://www.freshalloy.com/ http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't the Ecu be last, considering that it get's programmed according to your modifications?

ADAM HUTCHINSON
12-07-2001, 09:57 AM
would we really consider a "cam" bolt on http://www.freshalloy.com/

i don't think you can get to 200hp with bolt ons..from the dyno testing that i did with bolt ons there is just not enough that can be done...

osofast240
12-07-2001, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RZ:
NC_S14:
Yada Yada Yada d240t. Blah Blah Blah osofast240!!!
And Now, the Reeest of the story.
[list]
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
It IS a 15sec 240sx
The 2 other characters I put in my post.. Kinda got it right. http://www.freshalloy.com/ http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i did a 15.7 with a gutted car no mods http://www.freshalloy.com/
like i said before spend an extra 1300bucks and get a turbo kit th most bang for your buck. who wants to do 15sec anyway my pops lexus does 15.0 stock. if you can't afford a turbo kit cool. to give you better advice tell us how much you plan to spend.

osofast240
12-07-2001, 10:25 AM

cancel the intake order because a turbo kit comes with an intake.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 10:30 AM
1) I do prefer the rush of turbocharged cars, but there is no fact there, that is inherently an opinion. That is why the word prefer is in the sentence.

2) JWT does tune your ecu to your mods, but with a mass air based system, the ecu is going to be the same for a huge number of modifications, exhaust, intake, and so on. Only if you are going turbo, changing cams, changing injectors or mafs, or changing cr's will the program actually be different.

Dennis

AlligatorMan
12-07-2001, 10:32 AM
I put a 305 in my ride 'em lawnmower and now I can do burnouts. What's your point????

Anyway, I'd if you want to run with the 5.slows, get a turbo kit. If you want to go fast around an autocross, do suspension mods and choose some things from RZ's list for engine power. Don't forget to get a good tune-up!!
Personally, I like going around corners fast more than I like going fast in a straight line. It takes a lot of money to transform the 240 into a street brawler, so take advantage of it's best attributes if you're concerned about your wallet.

Mav1178
12-07-2001, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d240t:
The most I have seen at the wheels on an N/A KA was something like 175. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm already at 155-160RWHP with mostly bolt-on's (and cams if you count that as a bolt-on)...

Realistically, 160-170RWHP can be expected from a setup like how I am running, with a ECU, cams, header, exhaust, intake pipe/filter, pulley, and intake manifold work.

I agree that a turbo setup (KA or SR) would be the best bang for the buck, but don't discount N/A modifications. It can make the KA pretty fast...

Results may vary, of course.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schneiddog:
a good clutch will make a significant improvement too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent point and Quite true. I could quite possibly get another 1. - 1.5 sec with
a better clutch setup. I feel the slip and see a 300rpm slide. And this is when I drop it. As I never slip the clutch.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 11:07 AM
Again,
Not ALL want to go Turbo. There is a choice and some just like NA.
I like the Turbo Pwr Increase that could be possible for my setup (DATA= 305HP/298lbs) with 7psi,using the Nsport as a model input.
Yet, if I need to service it and I move from 1 area to another. Can it pass inspections to get licensed?
My NA setup is not close to done and I put out over 180HP. With Colt Cams and Port matching, valve angles and a Header (DATA = 208HP/204lbs) for another $1100, I can pass smog standards and have parts for service anywhere I go. IF THIS IS the ROUTE I continue.
A little more INFO. http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

I'm already at 155-160RWHP with mostly bolt-on's (and cams if you count that as a bolt-on)...

Realistically, 160-170RWHP can be expected from a setup like how I am running, with a ECU, cams, header, exhaust, intake pipe/filter, pulley, and intake manifold work.

I agree that a turbo setup (KA or SR) would be the best bang for the buck, but don't discount N/A modifications. It can make the KA pretty fast...

Results may vary, of course.

-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct. I have seen a number of N/A KA's turn 160-165 at the wheels. The most I have seen is about 175. A 240 can be quick with that. One of my favorite 240's (other than mine) is Russ's car, with only 165 at the wheels.

Dennis

ADAM HUTCHINSON
12-07-2001, 11:18 AM
does anyone have any dyno's of these 165rwhp NA motors? it would be interesting to see how the power is laid down.

most i was able to get out of my SOHC was 146rwhp (with cam as well)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by abailey269:
If you want to have a car that will do 14 second passes every now and then i would recommend a small shot of NOS (like a 70shot).

If you want to break into the 13's or lower, you will need to turbo, supercharge (i have yet to see one), or build your engine enough to support more NOS.
-Aubrey<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, one of the fastest S13's I know of is a dedicated track car, S13 stripped, with a stock S14 motor running something like a 150 shot with a tremec tranny. The motor has handled it for quite a while. The S14's cast hypereutectic pistons shouldn't be underestimated.

Dennis

Mav1178
12-07-2001, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ADAM HUTCHINSON:
does anyone have any dyno's of these 165rwhp NA motors? it would be interesting to see how the power is laid down.

most i was able to get out of my SOHC was 146rwhp (with cam as well)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam, this isn't 165RWHP, but the horsepower/torque curve is close...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mav1178/Images/Cars/Dyno/ECUExhIntPulHdrCams.jpg

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by osofast240:

not all want to go fast. my maxima puts out 180 and your point is? if you dont want to go fast go stock.
using a turbo is using all motor. using nitrous is artificial. only imports use the term all motor and do not include a turbo.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: osofast240 ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Reading some of your posts in the past have led me to believe you have some good knowledge. Yet off this thread, it seems that atacking without much REAL World learning is showing.
Comparing a 4 cyl to 2 6 cyl cars is a bit off base. On the other hand, it shows that our 2.4 scares some of these 6 cyl.
What one does with there vehicle is personal and up to them. I mean, I can rip yours apart and D240t and T.Y. on the track if I brought out my 72 Challenger. Yet that would be ludicriuos also. A completely different vehicle running more pwr and torque than ANY 2.4l could achieve(at this point). So please,
get back on track and stop with the rederick.
Thank You. http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
12-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Install sidedrafts. I saw a ka powered starlet or corolla run 11's with carbs, bolt-on stuff, and NOS... It was ugly and loud, but it was fast as ****....

abailey269
12-07-2001, 10:58 PM

Actually, one of the fastest S13's I know of is a dedicated track car, S13 stripped, with a stock S14 motor running something like a 150 shot with a tremec tranny. The motor has handled it for quite a while. The S14's cast hypereutectic pistons shouldn't be underestimated.

Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected. However, using a 150shot on a *stock* motor relatively often would be outrageously expensive. After a year or 2 you could have bought your turbo kit with all the cash you spent on NO2 refills. As i am sure you know, the power of a turbo being there when ever you want it is worth the up front dough.

-Aubrey

abailey269
12-07-2001, 11:02 PM
Dennis, i think i remember that guy. Wasnt he running 11's. His user name was something a long the lines of "Mark and Mandy" (or close to)?

-Aubrey

Meeks32
12-07-2001, 11:45 PM
Doesnt a Prelude put down around 170whp? If you have to spend all of that money just to get to that same hp mark with bolt-on's, I wouldnt think it would be worth it. You would end up spending over $1500 in bolt-on's and it would be a little more peppy or you could save your money & buy a turbo and the mods you do to that would give you a bigger gain than if it were N/A.

osofast240
12-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Again,
Not ALL want to go Turbo. There is a choice and some just like NA.
I like the Turbo Pwr Increase that could be possible for my setup (DATA= 305HP/298lbs) with 7psi,using the Nsport as a model input.
Yet, if I need to service it and I move from 1 area to another. Can it pass inspections to get licensed?
My NA setup is not close to done and I put out over 180HP. With Colt Cams and Port matching, valve angles and a Header (DATA = 208HP/204lbs) for another $1100, I can pass smog standards and have parts for service anywhere I go. IF THIS IS the ROUTE I continue.
A little more INFO. http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not all want to go fast. my maxima puts out 180 and your point is? if you dont want to go fast go stock.
using a turbo is using all motor. using nitrous is artificial. only imports use the term all motor and do not include a turbo.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-08-2001, 12:03 AM
Here's the deal with N/A bolt-ons, if you don't care what cars "could take you in a race" than putting down the $1900 and just getting a few extra ponys for a little fun in the twisties isn't a bad idea. Bolt-ons are probably the best for every day use because they are low maintenance, most of them are CARB approved, in a lot cases you aren't sacrificing the reliability of the car, and you can put them on as you get them. If you don't care about 1/4-mile times just go with the bolt-ons. Then spend the money you save on chassis reinforcement, some suspension goodies, and some sticky rubber then hit the local road course.

The turbo car will always be for those 10% that have the knowledge. It may the best for the money, but when you get people that don't know what they are doing (not hooking up the vacuum lines to the wastegate, ahem) it suddenly becomes a very expensive route.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: White240sx ]

Mav1178
12-08-2001, 01:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by abailey269:
Dennis, i think i remember that guy. Wasnt he running 11's. His user name was something a long the lines of "Mark and Mandy" (or close to)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His name is Steve Covacs(sp?)

His post from January of this year:

Well guys, no turbo. This is a nitrous KA with STOCK pistons. It has
survived over 2 years with high doses of the juice. The car is a very
consistant runner with over 40 11 second passes last year. Here is what I
will tell you about the car. It is an 89 fastback that started out as an
auto. In 98 I swapped to a 96 KADE with 5 speed. I use all 92 electronics
because they are easier to work with. The car only has 1 vac*** line! I
swapped in a 300tt pump along with 300 brakes. I had them front and
rear.(Some of you may remember that a while back.) The next thing was a dry
manifold setup. With the 300 pump, the stock injectors could support a 95hp
shot, running 110psi. I know people say the injectors can't run that high,
but I had a a/f meter and egt in the car and it never ran lean. I then
welded up the differential because of the traction problems. With the stock
5 speed on 10" slicks, the car ran 12.35 with full interior. That didn't
last long though, I broke 2 5 speeds in 2 races. Next I swapped trannies to
a Tremec TKO. This tranny is twice the size as our tunnels! Lots of work,
but worth it. With a hydrualic throwout bearing and 1 piece aluminum
driveshaft, the car picked up 1/2 a second. While I was doing the tranny
swap, I built a custom spool for the rear end. I also swapped my 300 brakes
for 97 se models. (I converted the car to 5 lug when I put the 300 brakes
on) I swapped so I could run Weld Magnum Drags. 15x3.5, 15x 9.25. You
guys always talk about light wheels, but these things weigh 9.8, and 10.6
respectivly. Now that is light. The car also runs custom coilovers that
allow 4 inches of drop. My 92 nose with the old PDM spoiler touches the
ground!. It takes a lot of custom work to sit a 240 this low. I haven't
raced with the new wheels or suspension yet, but I think it should be good
enough to get the car to 11.25, but I also took alot of weight out of the
car. The car has a 10 point chromoly cage I built myself. I no longer run
the dry manifold set up. I use a Pro Fogger now. I also run a hyrdaulic
clutch release controlled by a delay box. You just let go of a button and
the car leaves. The 60 fts have been in the 1.5's, I'm hoping fo 1.45 now.
If anyone wants some pictures, or has questions, email me. As soon as I get
the chassis the way I want, I'm going to drop in a 14:1 methanol motor. I
think the KA can get the car into the 9's, but I don't know if the IRS can
handle it. Oh well, I have plenty of 9"s around....
Steve

osofast240
12-08-2001, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

His name is Steve Covacs(sp?)

His post from January of this year:

Well guys, no turbo. This is a nitrous KA with STOCK pistons. It has
survived over 2 years with high doses of the juice. The car is a very
consistant runner with over 40 11 second passes last year. Here is what I
will tell you about the car. It is an 89 fastback that started out as an
auto. In 98 I swapped to a 96 KADE with 5 speed. I use all 92 electronics
because they are easier to work with. The car only has 1 vac*** line! I
swapped in a 300tt pump along with 300 brakes. I had them front and
rear.(Some of you may remember that a while back.) The next thing was a dry
manifold setup. With the 300 pump, the stock injectors could support a 95hp
shot, running 110psi. I know people say the injectors can't run that high,
but I had a a/f meter and egt in the car and it never ran lean. I then
welded up the differential because of the traction problems. With the stock
5 speed on 10" slicks, the car ran 12.35 with full interior. That didn't
last long though, I broke 2 5 speeds in 2 races. Next I swapped trannies to
a Tremec TKO. This tranny is twice the size as our tunnels! Lots of work,
but worth it. With a hydrualic throwout bearing and 1 piece aluminum
driveshaft, the car picked up 1/2 a second. While I was doing the tranny
swap, I built a custom spool for the rear end. I also swapped my 300 brakes
for 97 se models. (I converted the car to 5 lug when I put the 300 brakes
on) I swapped so I could run Weld Magnum Drags. 15x3.5, 15x 9.25. You
guys always talk about light wheels, but these things weigh 9.8, and 10.6
respectivly. Now that is light. The car also runs custom coilovers that
allow 4 inches of drop. My 92 nose with the old PDM spoiler touches the
ground!. It takes a lot of custom work to sit a 240 this low. I haven't
raced with the new wheels or suspension yet, but I think it should be good
enough to get the car to 11.25, but I also took alot of weight out of the
car. The car has a 10 point chromoly cage I built myself. I no longer run
the dry manifold set up. I use a Pro Fogger now. I also run a hyrdaulic
clutch release controlled by a delay box. You just let go of a button and
the car leaves. The 60 fts have been in the 1.5's, I'm hoping fo 1.45 now.
If anyone wants some pictures, or has questions, email me. As soon as I get
the chassis the way I want, I'm going to drop in a 14:1 methanol motor. I
think the KA can get the car into the 9's, but I don't know if the IRS can
handle it. Oh well, I have plenty of 9"s around....
Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

time slips pictures something anything. it just will not hold up in a court of law. the irs jun car had a irs.

Mav1178
12-08-2001, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by osofast240:

time slips pictures something anything. it just will not hold up in a court of law. the irs jun car had a irs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This guy has been on the 240SX list since 1995. If anything, anyone on the list right now can vouch for him and his credibility.

I don't have any timeslips or any physical proof to back up what he says. I just know that it is true.

-alex