PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch shot?????

nismodave
09-19-2004, 06:00 PM
I was driving down the hiway today and my clutch pedal went soft.

The car will not go into gear with the motor running.

My slave cylinder is pushing in the lever. I have a nismo slave cyllinder waiting to go in, beacause the clutch has been acting funny.

I think it might be the pressure plate. Anyone have any opinions what might be wrong before I rip this thing apart?

My clutch is an OS Giken twin plate, so a rebuild will cost $600.

The car might be done for the year. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ovrated
09-19-2004, 06:14 PM
i would think slave cyl first

Vapor
09-19-2004, 06:33 PM
usually means pressure plate if the slave cylinder is actuating properly

nismodave
09-19-2004, 06:33 PM
But the slave cyl is piching the arm in.......so it woould seem its doing its job.

But maybe it is not engaging all the way, but it looks like it is.

Vapor
09-19-2004, 06:36 PM
well since you have that slave cylinder just waiting, might as well try it.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
09-19-2004, 07:31 PM
dont use that slave cylinder without the adjustable pivot.. if you look at the nismo slave cylinder's piston, you will see that the diameter is larger... so if your master stays the same, how much travel do you have-- more? less?

LESS! you need the pivot to compensate for the shorter slave throw (actually brings the pivot arm closer to the clutch face.

nismodave
09-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I dont have the adjustable pivot arm, I was not aware it was needed.

Where can I get one?

Brad
09-19-2004, 09:28 PM
my vote would be for the slave going bad or just needing to be bled. i had the same problem as you, it started as just a weird noise and it being hard to get into gear sometimes. then it slowly progessed until one day i couldnt even get my car into gear, i had to turn the car off, jam it into first, and then turn it back on. it felt like the clutch was constantly being engaged and pushing the car foward even when i had the clutch depressed

funny thing is, i had no clue what the hell was going on...so i took off the cap to my master cylinder, stuck my finger in the fluid and put the cap back on. this was about a month ago. my car now shifts smooth as silk and engages beautifully (well as beautiful as a 6 puck unsprung clutch can be)

sorry for the lame anecdote, but id say at least try a new slave cylinder or more importantly bleed your lines before doing anything more drastic like pulling the tranny. that OS giken twin plate is probably a pretty heavy clutch, might have put too much stress on the slave, or maybe the fork pivot, or maybe the tein is giving out. so much stuff to check http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nismodave
09-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Tell me about it.........but I might try the new slave B4 I take the tranny off. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NOSTALGIC_HERO
09-19-2004, 11:08 PM
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/30537-CLTPV.jpg
edit: its adjustable by shimming the washers behind it (not a lot but you can)

i think this little dude is one of the coolest hardcore parts because it will 1. help you compensate for the different slave throw. 2. bring your pedal point right where you want it without crashing the master.

if you dont feel like pulling the trans, then give the slave a shot, it will most likely improve. prolly see if you can toss in a braided stainless clutch hose while your at it.

Jared
09-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Interesting that you bring this up. I recently shattered my fork pivot and replaced it with an OE unit (it was spur of the moment and I didn't have the Nismo one). While I was in there, I decided to replace my worn out ACT Heavy Duty with an ACT Extreme 6 puck... Now my pedal is wacked. The clutch engages/disengages all the way at the top... Higher than the worn clutch did right before I replaced it. Everyone I ask tells me to adjust the pedal, but that's only taking the free play out.

ACT tells me that the Extreme should engage sooner than the heavy duty... by sooner, I assume they mean from the floor moving upward (I have the opposite). If what you say is true (which I'm sure it is), the fix would be to move/shim the pivot closer to the clutch?