PDA

View Full Version : I got a TICKET!!!

TitaniusMaximus
12-09-2001, 09:05 PM
Hey peoples... I got a ticket for having a loud exhaust... damn, shame cuz I was at a cruising speed - which isn't loud at all... the Hwy Patty just looked at my big tail pipe and pulled me over and gave me a ticket... not fair at all...

Tae

abailey269
12-09-2001, 09:41 PM
The benefits of being a cop. But what can you do? You can:

a. Go to court and say that you exhaust isnt loud (at least not when you are flooring it) and they will just flip on the nice little tape that starts to record when the blue's come on and the will say, "my my my, thats an aweful big exhaust to not be loud. Please exit to the right and pay the cashier."

b. Spend five times what the ticket will cost you on a lawyer and you might get out of it.

c. Go talk to the solicitor (sp) and offer some community service or a defensive driving course.

I went for option C and got out of 2 tickets.
I dont even think a lawyer could have done that much for me.

There are a bunch of good cops out there, but there are also a lot of bad ones. A lot of their income comes from tickets. Therefore, they have to pull someone over and you just happened to be that lucky person. If you were driving a minivan with an exhaust leak i doubt they would have given you a hard time.

Good luck.

-Aubrey

nokuntrol
12-09-2001, 10:13 PM
THe incomes of police does not depend on the number of tickets they give out. It is true that each city has a quota for tickets and each month an officer should give out X number of tickets.
2nd, this may be hard to believe, but police officers don't really like giving out tickets. the reason why is becuase MOST and MANY people always try to find their speeding/trafic ticket even when they're in the wrong.
When someone fights a ticket, the officer must come in, On his/her day off and W/O Pay, to dispute the case. This is usually after a long day at work or on one of thier days off.
and often times the officer will give out more warnings when they don't want to dispute a lot of case.
-I got all this from Dateline. Just another point of view for everyone to think about.
As for me, i think it's true. I fought my 2nd ticket when i knew i couldn't go to school to erase it.

s14raw
12-09-2001, 10:34 PM
I used to have a friend whose dad was a cop and he told me that cops DO get paid overtime to go to court. Not gonna say that is true for every cop shop in the country but it is in my neck of the woods.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-09-2001, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s14fury:
I used to have a friend whose dad was a cop and he told me that cops DO get paid overtime to go to court. Not gonna say that is true for every cop shop in the country but it is in my neck of the woods.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it was true where I lived in Western PA because you could often beat tickets written by officers in small towns just by appealing, because they often couldn't afford to pay the officer that much overtime and they wouldn't show up (worked for me once).

abailey269
12-10-2001, 12:17 AM
I know the guys down here in atlanta get paid when they are in court. I talked with a few of them for a little while....like i said, there are handful of good cops out there (as well as bad).

-Aubrey

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 12:49 AM
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/sb1081_text.htm

TitaniusMaximus
12-11-2001, 02:47 AM
Yeah... supposedly when I put the silencer back in, it'll be okay... too bad my silencer broke apart... for those of you that don't know I have a Rocket Turbo Exhaust on a non-turbo engine... haha... 3 inch piping and all... very similar to the APEX N1... and the silencer went up in flames...

Tae

orion
12-11-2001, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Tae:
I got a ticket for having a loud exhaust...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cali laws says no louder 95db I think...

So I'd put your stock airbox back on (if it's been replaced) to calm the noise and get the sucker tested...

Good luck - Brian

AceInHole
12-11-2001, 03:35 PM
i wonder if you could carry around a dB meter and show the cop that it's only 93dB on the spot??? i never really thought about fighting those kinds of tickets.... they don't seem to care so much around where i live.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 03:42 PM
hey,nokuntrol, u said that a copy has to come in on his own time to court. This is absolutly not true. They get paid to come to court. I just had to change the court date of a ticket I got for unclear plates, and the court told me that normally they would just have me come in later that day, but that they were gonna have to reschedule my case cause there was no way that they were gonna pay a cop overtime to argue an unclear plates ticket.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 07:59 PM
funny thing, i have that very same exhaust! DR tae, who installed it? did you? i am having some fitment problems. when i go with the sr later, i am going to get a 3 inch cat anyways. well everyone says my car is crazy loud too!

TitaniusMaximus
12-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Dude.. just go to Midas or a muffler shop and pay them like $100-150... I got mine done at a local place... he said it went in like with no probs... and don't floor the gas pedal... it's loud until you get a turbo... or put the silencer in, but it will break apart from the heat of exhaust...

Tae

240sx-tx
12-12-2001, 12:57 AM
I assume this is not considered a moving violation and so you will not be able to do deferred adjudication or defensive driving which also means that there is probably no reason to take the ticket to a law office because what they do is they go and get you deferred adjudication and thats only if you haven't had a ticket for a certain period of time, at least in Texas. The only thing you can do is basically talk to the judge about it. If there is not some way to actually prove that your exhaust is not louder than what the law states you will probably have to pay the cost of the ticket though it won't go on your driving record.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 10:11 PM
i just changed catalytic converters and it went together without leaks. heck yeah it loud! my silencer already shot out when i was driving once and i lost the bolt. i havent bee able to find one that fits yet. anyways its a crazy exhaust and alot of people like the sound but it is too loud. are you going to go sr or KA turbo?

AceInHole
12-15-2001, 10:56 PM
240SilviaX: baaaah!! gimme the high flow cat! mine rattles!!!

SLoWaSs13
12-16-2001, 06:12 AM
i really kicker is goin under brigdes etc, the exhast echos. a cop was goin oppisite direction and he had gone under a bride when iu entered and once again my exhast echoed like thunder, i lookin in my rear veiw ad saw him tryin to make a u turn, i hauled but and cut into a buisness park and hide behind a tracker trailor, lets say i got away but ill never run again, i was so scare they had other cops lookin for me lol. oh i have a Apex N1 turbo muffler with 2 1/4 pipin. soon to be 3in when i get my cash together for turbo, its loud, i like crusing at 3k rpm and watchin alarms go off from the exhast note lol.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-16-2001, 09:47 AM
thats crap.. is there a certain decible level your not allowed to go over?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-16-2001, 10:10 PM
240sx_silvia nice screen name hehe. yeah my exhaust echoes off houses and stuff haha. its so crazy