PDA

View Full Version : s14 rotors, powdercoating calipers, etc.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-10-2001, 10:46 AM
ok guys, i've got a 4 lug '95 SE. The brakes are nearing their end (the rust on the calipers is making me cry), and I need some advice on replacement parts.

I'm gonna get some cheap zinc-plated cross drilled rotors. They look great, and I don't see any other cheap options. Are there any cheap options? No, I don't want the z32 brakes. Anyways, what kind of pads should I get?

Also, I want to powdercoat the calipers and heat shield black. After they are painted, how long do I wait before I can put them back on? What parts of the calipers should I take extra care in masking off?

One last thing... I'm gonna do this myself, so is it safe to have my car up on some blocks since I don't have access to a lift? I was thinking of using some 8"x8" blocks of wood at the corners (between the wheels).

Thanks guys.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: gold95 ]

ADAM HUTCHINSON
12-10-2001, 11:58 AM
hi,
just painted my 300zx calipers with a epoxy based paint..it looks good..and way cheaper than getting them powdercoated..as for painting keep away from the pistons and seals

you can put your car on blocks..put them under the frame rails on each side of the car..it should be very stable

brembo rotors are cheap..try them

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 12:18 AM
Actually, a great and cheap way to paint calipers is Testor's model paint - really! Testors is actually enamel-based, which means it's really hard and heat-resistant.

Just go down to Wal-Mart and look in the isle with the model kits. You can get the little jars for around 95 cents, and about the same price for a small brush. Get some brake cleaner and a good brush (like a brass brush - you can find 'em at Pep Boys) and clean the caliper really good. Then, just start painting the paint on - it goes on thick, so it's hard to get brush streaks or runs in it. It's REALLY easy to do.

Most of my friends around here have done it, with great results that have held up to tons of driving and cleaning - they still have bright color and look great. I've even had friends who have done track events and haven't had any problems.

Don't blow your money on fancy caliper paint - this works just as well, if not better, and there's a huge range of colors to pick from. Also, if there's a raised logo on the caliper, just sand the logo with sandpaper after painting to give the logo a polished look - really sets it off.

StealthmodeS14
12-11-2001, 12:49 AM
Another small item to look out for when masking them off for painting is of course the bleeder valve.....just a thought http://www.freshalloy.com/

I painted my callipers myself. I had my friend sandblast them (keep in mind I still had all my seals in place...wouldn't normally reccomend doing this, but haven't had any problems yet). Masked all the seals and the bleeder off then commenced to laying down a good three coats of black paint. It's as simple as that. Make sure you do give them ample time to do the drying process so as to make sure the paint doesn't come off when re-installing them or even for the first few moments of driving (obvious right???)...anywyas, hope this helps!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 01:43 AM
any harm in painting the heat shield too?

what pads do you recommend?

how much time should i set aside for the whole install (removing calipers, replacing pads and rotors, and re-installing calipers)?

KenFuji
12-11-2001, 03:50 AM
any metalic pads will do well.

i have axxis on mine.

StealthmodeS14
12-11-2001, 01:12 PM
I also use the Axxis pads on my S14 and love them...minimal fade and hardly any brake dust during normal driving conditions.

I'd set away a good whole day to do the swap at all four corners, just foe precautionary measures in case you run into any problems. The drying of the paint will take the longest. I personally could take off all four callipers and re-install the new ones in under an hour(only cause I've done it numerous times.....not gloating.) Not sure if you've had experience with brakes , but shouldn't have too much trouble with the install.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-11-2001, 01:17 PM
uhh, powdercoating- unless you have the right tools, cannot be done at home. (not that it cant, but b/c you need the gun and the oven to finish the parts)

when you pick up your parts from the powdercoater, they are good to go, slap them on and go drive. The coating goes on like dry paint, - looks like they coat it with thin frosting, then it goes in the oven - to like 450deg and comes out after an hour. then it will cool down and you can use them.

good luck,

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 01:34 PM
i found a shop nearby that will powdercoat all my goodies for $50. my main concern is keeping my car jacked up for a day or two, in case there's a delay with the powdercoating. I want to do it right so that it doesn't fall down or anything. i think i'll invest in some good jacks and some big blocks of wood, and just take my time.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Here are a couple of interesting links for powder coating equipment:
Eastwood Company - Unique automotive tools (http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=default2.htm)
Eastwood Company - Unique automotive tools (powder coaters) (http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=/hotcoat/hc.htm&UID=2001121121155695)