PDA

View Full Version : my spec stage 2, pedal seems very soft

martiniracing
10-02-2004, 01:02 AM
before i had my sr20 installed, i went ahead and got a spec stage 2 clutch kit, machined the stock flywheel and put back everything as supposed to (but did not put in the new pilot bearing). i used the jdm clutch master cylinder (since it was a manual swap as well) and got rid of the clutch dampener at the same time.

the clutch pedal is very soft, although it holds all the way up to redline and chirps when shifting, but i still think i might have done something wrong

does anyone have a spec stage 2 and can confirm a soft pedal feel? mine feels alot softer than stock KA clutch pedal.

i hope optionimports didn't send me a oem replacement cause that'll really suck, but i did check the part number on the box of the clutch package and it indicates stage 2 as per their site.

LOwrestling2001
10-02-2004, 01:54 AM
the clutch pedal on my spec stg 3 is super soft too, i wanna go act next time, i had that on my turbo gsr, i liked the stiff feel a lot better.

SoSideways
10-02-2004, 10:57 AM
I do belief that the throw out bearing has a lot to do with the pedal feel and the pedal travel and all that.

I have a SPEC stage 3 on my SR and it sure as hell has a light pedal. But just because it has a light pedal doesn't mean it's a weak grabbing clutch. My buddy with a Exedy 3 puck sprung disk told me that it grabbed real hard, so hard in fact that he didn't expect it and thus stalled my car.

I have also adjusted the pedal so it only travels like 3 to 3.5 inches. Grabs pretty much an inch after you start letting up the clutch.

martiniracing
10-02-2004, 12:08 PM
cool, i guess i ain't the only one.

i test drove my friend's spec stage 3 and his pedal is super stiff.. he bought it used, so who knows what tob it came with. he also kept the clutch dampener, wonder if that contributes to a stiffer clutch pedal feel

for my own setup, i used the spec supplied tob

KSU_S13Less
10-02-2004, 12:21 PM
does anyone have a spec stage 2 and can confirm a soft pedal feel? mine feels alot softer than stock KA clutch pedal.

I have a Spec stage 1 in my car and the pedal feels really soft. I'm also running a Nismo slave though... so I attribute most of the reduced effort to that. In terms of grabbing ability, this clutch sucks ass and I'm looking to replace it soon.

shoes59
10-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a Stage II with a soft pedal but that's what I was looking for. A stiff, firm or hard pedal doesn't equate to more holding power. The Stage II holds fine for me and serves my purpose well. I'm pretty easy on my clutch because I'm not into smokey burnouts, hard launches or drifting.

cwdmark
10-02-2004, 01:11 PM
if you're getting a spec you might as well get a stage 3. its SUPER soft and very easy to drive every day, and holds a lot of tq.

mattmartindrift
10-02-2004, 01:18 PM
God, NO! specs are junk, search for all the blown up ones in this forum ALONE. I have a stage 3 on my KA, it has yet to go, but i'm fully prepared for when it does, I have no doubt in my mind it'll blow up before it wears out.

no_face
10-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I have a spec stage 2 and my pedal feel is also very soft. I used the the new TB and even replaced the slave cylinder since I thought it went or I messed something up.

At this point since I dont feel any slipping and its survived tons of clutch kits over the last year then it must be fine.

SoSideways
10-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Actually, I do belief that the POS clutch dampener has a lot to do with the clutch pedal feel.

My gf's KA-E had a decent clutch pedal feel to it before I took the dampener out, now it feels like the pedal had lost all of it's resistance. Like, if I give the pedal a glare, it'll move on it's own, that's how soft it is.

asad
10-02-2004, 03:02 PM
My gf's KA-E had a decent clutch pedal feel to it before I took the dampener out, now it feels like the pedal had lost all of it's resistance. Like, if I give the pedal a glare, it'll move on it's own, that's how soft it is.

Sounds like you've got air in the line.

Asad

SoSideways
10-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Sounds like you've got air in the line.

Asad

I dunno Asad, I bled it at least 20 times. Bled it so much that I ran out of brake fluid and had to buy another bottle of brake fluid to finish it. The fluid goes flying out of the bleed screw when I have her hold the pedal down.

I know for a fact that the bleeding was done right, and the clutch grabs just fine with no inconsistent engagements, so it's working 100% fine, just that it has a really soft pedal.

shane_B
10-02-2004, 10:42 PM
All spec clutches have a relatively soft pedal. Thats how they are designed. I have a spec III and its also lighter than my friends ACT street clutch. But mine grabs way harder.

martiniracing
10-02-2004, 11:32 PM
God, NO! specs are junk, search for all the blown up ones in this forum ALONE. I have a stage 3 on my KA, it has yet to go, but i'm fully prepared for when it does, I have no doubt in my mind it'll blow up before it wears out.

how does it blow up? i'm interested to find out

Kookz
10-03-2004, 12:52 AM
You could search, but eh...

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/brjones/may%20012.jpg

martiniracing
10-03-2004, 03:18 AM
ack! oh geez, that really sucks..

PSI240SX
10-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Specs are garbage, and they really should stop making clutches for imports. Take it out, set it on fire, throw it off a cliff, and go buy something else.

neurovish
10-04-2004, 05:45 PM
You could search, but eh...

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/brjones/may%20012.jpg

Of the four people I know with specs, that has happened to two of them. The third person had the springs(?) holding his pressure plate to the housing kinda break off and get slung all over the place. The fourth is me...so I'm hoping my spec doesn't blow itself up until I get a new engine. The longest duration of unexploded specs for people I know is approx. 2 years.

martiniracing
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
how's everybody handling this? are they sending the blown clutches back to spec and *****?

Kookz
10-05-2004, 01:02 AM
I emailed SPEC, they told me that it was a pilot bearing problem. Riiiiiight. They so kindly offered to replace the disc for $120. I bought an ACT 4 puck for less than that and never looked back.

NY S13 SR
10-05-2004, 12:51 PM
We have sold 70 x Stage 2 and 74 x Stage 3 RWD SPEC clutch kits. So far I have 5 warranty returns, including one that blew up and the disk came apart.

For ACT, we have sold 40 x 6 pucks and 104 x street disk, with 4 warranty returns including 1 where the disk came apart.

Trashing SPEC is unfair, all clutches can have problems. SPEC has no more percentage of failure than ACT according to our sales records. I am not a SPEC cheerleader or anything, but I have no problem recommending them to our customers.

Also the Stage 2 disk was redesigned last year sometime IIRC.

martiniracing
10-06-2004, 11:32 PM
so you sold 144 of each manufacturer, but spec outblew one more clutch than ACT?

asad
10-07-2004, 12:52 AM
so you sold 144 of each manufacturer, but spec outblew one more clutch than ACT?

That's easily within the statistical error for that number of clutches sold. I.e. a difference of 1 failure out of 144 isn't big enough to be meaningful in any sort of statistical sense.

Asad