JGS Tools Exhaust Manifold
Turbo Back 3 inch exhaust
Fidanza Flywheel
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
Z32 MAF
T3/T04E

Boost, A/F, EGT Gauges
Apex'i SAFC-II

My problem is this. At idle the car runs super lean, when you give it gas, it runs super rich and seems to "take a while to burn off fuel" So far we have gone through:

ALL of the wiring
TPS
CAS
Timing
O2 Sensor
Adjusting fuel on SAFC

And I still cannot get it to run right. It runs too rich with throttle, too lean at idle. I dont know if the MAF is working correctly or not. If the car is running and I unplug, it runs crappier. When I plug it back it, it runs better, but that really doesnt mean its working correctly.

The voltages on the O2 Sensor are good, although I have not tried the MAF yet.

When idling, the SAFC displays 22 knock in the Knock Set menu. It will raise to 35 with throttle.

The only things I have not tried are removing the Knock sensor, trying a new MAF, trying a new ECU, and checking for vacuum leak.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I am at the end of my rope and am almost ready to sell the car.

Thanks,
Kyle

Dmax
10-04-2004, 10:08 PM
I would invest in a dyno session with a wideband. I spent a long time [cencored] with my AFC when I had it, all for little to no improvement, eventually I went to the dyno and straightended it out.

If your MAFS is fooked you should see your voltage jumping around erratically every once in a while, that's how I found out that mine was toast....

Vapor
10-04-2004, 10:22 PM
+1 for tuning, you'd be surprised what you can do with an hour and a wideband

kbubp
10-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Any other advice...

Dmax
10-05-2004, 11:05 AM
The problem is it could literaly be a 100 things, there's posts like this all the time, you haven't narrowed the problem down to anything specific ....

go to the dyno, you'll know more about what's going on then you do now.

kbubp
10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
The problem is it could literaly be a 100 things, there's posts like this all the time, you haven't narrowed the problem down to anything specific ....

go to the dyno, you'll know more about what's going on then you do now.

Yeah, except I have been troubleshooting for 3 months. Oh, and if I could drive it, I would take it to the dyno. It wont run long enough for them to dyno it.

Brad
10-05-2004, 02:48 PM
heres what id do, throw on the 370s and stock rail, and stock mafs. go from there

sr180
10-22-2004, 06:52 PM
i know what the problem is...its the afc, the afc shouldnt be used for such an aplication, you either need a stand alone system like a tech system or greddy makes a nice piggyback system (althought i dont know what its called) the guy that worked on my car had symilar(sp) problems which eventually led to the motor blowing up, i dont know what he had exactly, but the work was very similar (ie bigger turbo, injectors, ect) but he had the same problems, it would lean out and then get rich as all hell, look into it, im positive thats what your problem is!

Colorado_S14
10-22-2004, 07:52 PM
The S-AFC should be able to handle what he is running.

Vapor
10-22-2004, 10:31 PM
i know what the problem is...its the afc, the afc shouldnt be used for such an aplication, you either need a stand alone system like a tech system or greddy makes a nice piggyback system (althought i dont know what its called) the guy that worked on my car had symilar(sp) problems which eventually led to the motor blowing up, i dont know what he had exactly, but the work was very similar (ie bigger turbo, injectors, ect) but he had the same problems, it would lean out and then get rich as all hell, look into it, im positive thats what your problem is!

I'm positive you're wrong, I've seen it done, it's pretty common and not rocket science.

s13larry
10-24-2004, 01:34 AM
you set the afc up right correct?

Ovrated
10-24-2004, 01:20 PM
setting an afc without a wideband is like shooting in the dark.. there is no point to it... you wont ever know what you are doing. buy an lm-1, or tow it to the dyno, so you can see what kind of a/f rates you have, and then correct with the afc from there..