PDA

View Full Version : J Pipe...

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 04:01 PM
Is anyone using a J pipe with their stock manifold? I was thinking of cheaper alternatives to upgrade my turbo and the thought came to mind...

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 04:07 PM
510 guys have used them in the past, and there are many using them today in the present. They are a simple solution to a simple problem. I'm making a mold with which to cast some jpipes right now for an SR20 in 240SX application, but don't expect anything for another few months at least. If you go with a welded tubular jpipe, be forewarned that it will eventually crack on you.

Demon

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-11-2001, 05:03 PM
demon, i noticed that you have cast things before, how difficult is it? and where did you go about obtaining the resources to cast your goodies.?

AceInHole
12-11-2001, 06:05 PM
just hearing about this makes me want to really look back into using a J-pipe on the stock KA header for a turbo....

**DONOTDELETE**
12-11-2001, 08:00 PM
...and what IS a J pipe? http://www.freshalloy.com/

AceInHole
12-11-2001, 08:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neurotoxic:
...and what IS a J pipe? http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a pipe that looks like a J. basically it re-routes the manifold. in this case it routes the exhaust up so the turbo can be mounted on top of the manifold... at least, in my case it would do that.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2001, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Escaflowne:
demon, i noticed that you have cast things before, how difficult is it? and where did you go about obtaining the resources to cast your goodies.?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Casting itself isn't too difficult... figure humans have been doing it since before christ... I'll send you some links in reply to your last email later..
If you wanna get started learning more about casting on a formal level, check out your local community colleges. Most should have some pretty decent metalsmithing, metal-working, or jewelry fabrication classes which will introduce you to the world of casting.. it's fun

Demon

Edited part: 1) You will LOVE the raw power or a furnace going full blast when that plume of fire forms a tornado out the top vent.. and you can hear its roar from across the street.
2) A jpipe to mount a turbo on a stock KA24E exh manifold will be extraordinarily difficult to fab, if not almost impossible, due to the fact that the stock manifold ends so far down the exhaust system... you'd have to reroute the exh all the way back up the block to mount the turbo...and there's not much clearance there to do that, much less fit in a downpipe afterwards. Oh yah, and the downpipe also is a 2 pipe dealy... makes it even harder... just do it right with the KA24. Hmmm.. this was poorly worded

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Demon ]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2001, 03:54 AM
I think AceinHole actually is putting together a turbo kit for the DOHC motor. IIRC, the S14 exhaust manifold is shorter than the S13 DOHC one. That may make it easier to use a JPipe. S14 exhaust manifolds can probably be found pretty cheap.

Dennis