PDA

View Full Version : Who wants cv axles on their 510

Five10PacksDE
10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Someone made a suggestion of seeing if we get enough datsun 510 people that want cv axle rear ends. Modern motorsports possibly might consider making em for us. Maybe. Who would want one? Who would want one with r160, r180, or r200? How much power and how badly do you guys beat on hte stock halfshafts?

sspikey
11-04-2004, 08:53 AM
OK i would like a R180 Clutch type LSD with CV axles
i will be breaking halfshafts night and day i know with 360WHP going through a 510 so put me down as interested
Might want to mail the Bluebirds list there will be manyinterested there
R160 might be a possibility too. Which one do you think would be better for my setup?

Five10PacksDE
11-04-2004, 12:27 PM
r200 is the biggest monster. With 350 hp you can't go wrong. Sumone told me a r180 also comes in the USA 240sx. I only known them to come with r200. SOrry , off topic

Five10PacksDE
11-04-2004, 12:27 PM
r200 is the biggest monster. With 350 hp you can't go wrong. Sumone told me a r180 also comes in the USA 240sx. I only known them to come with r200. SOrry , off topic

sspikey
11-06-2004, 08:39 PM
R200 is WAY too heavy i dont need it
R180 came in Z31 i think

Five10PacksDE
11-09-2004, 10:43 PM
The r200 that is simlar mounting to the 510 comes off 3 cars or more. Z31 300zx, 200sx w/ IRS, 280zx. The r180 is strong , but I have a blown one in my backyard. A friend blew it launching his stock fj20det 510. The weight would be in the rear too, so it would help the weight distribution. Stock 510 halfshafts suck, and are known to break left and right.

Five10PacksDE
11-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Oh, the extra weight is a little from the casing and having a 20mm bigger diff. The r200 internals are the same as the new r200's too. 240sx, j30, rear skyline diff. Basically every semi sporty nissan except the q45 and z32 tt, which carry r230 diffs. The NA z32 has a r200 too.

sspikey
11-20-2004, 09:36 AM
well then after consulting the Downunder team (australia boys http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif) i would really be down for a conversion kit for a R200 with CV joints shoot me a price whenever its possible. I think Maddat already makes the Mustache bar to bolt it in so yeah

Five10PacksDE
11-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I was kinda hoping for cv axles though. That is the achilies heal of the 510. the stories are horrible. I know people with 300hp racing a 240z with heat treated axles and those things still break. Oh well.

Demon
12-11-2004, 04:51 PM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kim_Jong_Il
12-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Just so you guys have some numbers to deal with, R200V (viscous LSD) weighs around 85-90lbs. I hated carrying those things up and down my apartment steps.

Five10PacksDE
12-14-2004, 03:11 PM
I would not mind the extra weight for the strength. The sr20de in my car is slightly heavier than the stock l16 too, so it would help even out the weight distribution even though it is heavy. The cv axles would save a tad bit of weight

sspikey
12-25-2004, 10:27 AM
As long as it doesnt break thats all i care about. Besides i need weight with the SR so why not.

jat240
12-31-2004, 02:46 AM
Manual tranny 280Zs have R200s, manual tranny 280ZXS(except some '79s) have r200s, all 280ZX turbos have r200s, all Z31 300ZXS have R200s, some 200SXs have R200s, all 240SXs have R200s, basicly every RWD Nissan after the early 80s had them. But the thing about it is the later R200s and older R200s have different cases. For example a '98 240SX R200 is way different than a '75 280Z R200, they wont interchange.

Dont know if it'll work on a 510 but the best solution for half shafts on a 240Z is a R200 with 280ZXT CVs.

Five10PacksDE
12-31-2004, 04:28 AM
True, but there is a way aruond the 200 diff with little mods to fit it in a 510 with stock halfshafts. www.ratdat.com (http://www.ratdat.com) Go to the Tech section. CV axles on the other hand is a different story.

dimejunky
01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Sign me up bro. I also like the r200, but will I be able to put a r200vlsd under my dime?? Im not sure if it will mount up without no crazy insane mods. Keep me posted on the cv's....

Five10PacksDE
01-04-2005, 04:29 PM
The r200 I am talking about has simlar mounting to the stock r160 and the r180. They are found on 280zx, 200sx, 300zx z31, I heard 260z also n 280z. Same size internally as the newer style casing or r200 found in way too many nissans. I don't know anywhere that'll do it. They got it for the 240z though, but the rear suspension on that is different from 510's

S15DET
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I'd also be interested in a set of CV axles for a r180 or r200. Any idea on cost?

compression
04-14-2005, 09:58 AM
There is already a person making very nice CV axles for a 510.
They are about $600 -$1000 based on what CV's you want to use and other stuff.

http://img221.echo.cx/img221/1825/cvaxles8hv.jpg

jdm894g
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
any updates....?

threepointo
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
That would be Steven Pepka. He no longer makes them and has no desire to do anymore of them. I have a set that he made for me currently on my car. They have about 6 miles on them Yes I said 6 Miles on them. I am going to put them up for Sale in the next couple of months as a package deal. You will get an R160 subie lsd, all required stub axles, and the CV arms. The diff has very low miles on it and it has 3:54 gears in it. I have access to a 3:70 ring and pinion for extra cost if you want it. I would require your stub axles from your A arms along with the stub axles from your diff in exhange for my stuff because I am going the R200 route with a quaife center section, and TSR has made me a new set of cv axles. I will be looking to get 1800.00 bucks for the setup that I currently have. Too much money for you??? not a problem...Mr. Claypool will be reproducing just the arms (NO DIFF) for about the same price. So if I were looking for CV axles for a 510 I would jump on this deal. If anyone is seriously interested in this setup let me know at kfneely1@yahoo.com .Let me explain ahead of time that I am not looking for trades nor am I even considering lowball offers 1800.00 is firm! If no one buys I am content with hanging them on my garage wall as decorations you will all be welcome to come over and look at them but if you try to take them off the wall you will activate the C4 and blow your arms off! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jdm894g
02-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Well i already have a r160 w/ 3.70:1 gear ratio....i would only need the cv axles and any other parts neccessary to make them fit.

Demon
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
That would be Steven Pepka. He no longer makes them and has no desire to do anymore of them. I have a set that he made for me currently on my car. They have about 6 miles on them Yes I said 6 Miles on them. I am going to put them up for Sale in the next couple of months as a package deal. You will get an R160 subie lsd, all required stub axles, and the CV arms. The diff has very low miles on it and it has 3:54 gears in it. I have access to a 3:70 ring and pinion for extra cost if you want it. I would require your stub axles from your A arms along with the stub axles from your diff in exhange for my stuff because I am going the R200 route with a quaife center section, and TSR has made me a new set of cv axles. I will be looking to get 1800.00 bucks for the setup that I currently have. Too much money for you??? not a problem...Mr. Claypool will be reproducing just the arms (NO DIFF) for about the same price. So if I were looking for CV axles for a 510 I would jump on this deal. If anyone is seriously interested in this setup let me know at kfneely1@yahoo.com .Let me explain ahead of time that I am not looking for trades nor am I even considering lowball offers 1800.00 is firm! If no one buys I am content with hanging them on my garage wall as decorations you will all be welcome to come over and look at them but if you try to take them off the wall you will activate the C4 and blow your arms off! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev, Ill give you 10.00 for the whole setup! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Five10PacksDE
02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
ROFL! I got 20 bucks, or else I go buy some junk at the local pick a part and weld it all together!! lol

Anyways, I have tlaked to a lot of people about cv axle conversions. cehck out these 5 pages and buildup of thgis guys rally 510 http://www.the510realm.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Bob-Esseltine-RWD_NissanMan&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&i nclude=view_album.php&page=2

I chatted and bugged him with millions of questions on his cv axle setup using z31 turbo 4 BOLT! cv axles that are known to withstand gobs of power. It is very common for 240z guys because ModernMotorsports sellsflanges for Z guys to bolt it up in a garage with no fab.
FIrst off, anyone that has tried it knows 510's use pretty damn short axles. The god thing about the z31 axles is that one side cv joint , the cage can be flipped for a shorteneing effect or .5" or around there. So that needs to be done
2nd, a flange needs to be fabricated to fit into the hub, and have the 4 bolt pattern of the z31 axles, and not pop out too much, or else the axles might not be short enough.
3rd, r200 diff fitted on your car.

I called MOdern Motorsports and asked if they would make me a custom flange, and they would. They quoted me around 400, forgot how much exactly. I hope this helps people not have to pay $1K+ for axle conversions. Of course you gotta pay the man, Mario, for his labor and skills on the 510. He does awsome work, but I don't have 15-20K to spend on my project. Haha JK, sorry so long I hope people got some good info outta this. ANyone have a better idea?

threepointo
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes I have a better idea...Stick with your stock half shafts and just keep replacing U joints. This is what I did on my first car at 334 whp. My new car is running well over 400whp and If you are going to go to the level you need something that can handle it. Someone has already left a 1k deposit on the stuff So I guess it is sold. Yes you can probably piece meal something together from the junk yard or maybe somewhere else and hope it works but I have done the research in the junk yards and down the expensive road and the expensive road is the only one that is going to pan out for me. I used to think people were crazy for paying Rebello 3 to 5k for building a motor back in the day but it is all about your income stream. I was a broke ass college student back in the rebello days and my 510 was brown, black, and grey primer. I have paid my dues by working at the most crappy retail jobs in the world making 7 bucks an hour and I was lucky enough to make my way into a job field where I happen to make good money now so I can play with my toys the way I want. I am nowhere near steve nueman territory but he is on another level than I am. You only live once so live well. Oh yeah, get good insurance on your dream so you can drive with peace of mind. Lastly, I called modern motorsports and the price is 400 just for them to make flanges that does not include fabbing up the correct arms. You need to have a tool made just to cut the splines in the arms which means that everyone will have to have the same arms from the same donor source and that can be very expensive unless you can convince them that you have an order of 50 sets or so ready to purchase they may waive the price of setting up the tool. So it is 400 for the flanges and another 5 or 600 to set up the arms and if you go the junk yard route you will most definitly have to shorten any arm you get out of a zcar. That is what modern motorsports deals with. The price just keeps going up. There is really no cheap way around doing it right and keeping it safe. I have seen so many people come into TSR and say they want stuff and then he hits them with the price and they run out screaming bloody murder. They go home and break out the mig welder and spread booger welds everywhere and come back and flip him off and tell him how they did it themselves and then the stuff keeps breaking and they keep fixing it, and it keeps breaking, and they spend more money to fix it and finally one day they give up and come back and spend the money at TSR or whomever your fabricator of choice is, realizing that they could have saved a ton of money if they just had spent it one time. I used to run from Rebello's prices in my early L series days and I ended spending twice as much for a motor than I should have. I still remember Dave saying to me the day I dropped off my 4th blown L20 "So...you finally decided to stop and do it right huh!..." I speak from experience. When I got that motor from Dave I beat the hell out of it and could never break it! I'm sorry am I rambling??? Later!

Five10PacksDE
02-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the input, I am kinda of in your shoes back in the days with the primer car with low paying jobs. haha. I was curious though, you said a 240z axle is too long for a 510, I thought the 240z halfshafts were interchangable with a 510 stock halfshaft? The z31 turbo axles are shorter than the 200sx, and 280zx axle setups. I have also talked with a great fabricator, and entrant of the 2005 Targa Newfoundland rally. He explains his mods very well, and helped me out with my questions. Here is a picture of the z31 T axles on his car http://www.the510realm.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Bob-Esseltine-RWD_NissanMan&id=R200_LSD_Setup&op=modload&name=ga llery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
here is a picture of the flange he made http://www.the510realm.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Bob-Esseltine-RWD_NissanMan&id=CV_Shaft_to_Spindle_Adapters&op=m odload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo. php
He races his car in a competitions and has not compained about his axles yet, even with a 300-400hp sr20det engine
Here is my estimated price of this conversion.
Someone can spend 100-200 on alxes, depending if they have a core. 50-400 on diff, either picka part or bought off someone on Egay. The rear diff mount can b done many many ways. I am planning on this in the future when I actually get money.