PDA

View Full Version : can you ever finish building up your car?

robkris8079
12-13-2001, 10:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has met all there goals on fixing up their cars. Anyone look at there car and say "there is nothing else i can do to her." It seems like a never ending mission. I will never be done with mine. Sorry for the dumb post. It's late i gotta go to sleep.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-13-2001, 10:47 PM
I don't know, for me I actually have the picture in my head of what my car will be like when done. So I eventually will reach the point where I have nothing else I want to do to it. When I get to that point, it's time to start another project. I've already been thinking ahead. After I do an engine swap, I'll have a good KA with no car to power. Maybe pick up an old Datsun roadster or 510 to put that in.

97 S14
12-13-2001, 10:53 PM
Yes you can. When I finish my car I will get another one to start... either a 300ZX TT, RX-7, or a WRX.

taku
12-14-2001, 06:09 AM
I think when I effectively "finish" my car, I will unfortunately start to "personalize" it... which is bad because that ultimately leads to Rice.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
12-14-2001, 06:34 AM
my wife thinks mine is done http://www.freshalloy.com/

he he..still need

EMS, new fuel injectors, body kit, tires, more dyno time http://www.freshalloy.com/

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2001, 07:03 AM
I'm almost there. Just need to prove the motor is reliable, then I'm done.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2001, 07:06 AM
I think that with a given car, you will ultimately reach a certain point, at which the car is "done", except maybe for some esthetics. Going over 1000hp with a 240sx, for exemple, would be silly, IMHO. I think it would not be a 240sx anymore.

Personnaly, when my car will be tuned to my taste, I'll probably go with a faster one. Maybe an RX7... hmmmm! That' be great! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Anyways, I think its to one's taste to decide if the car's complete or not. Some are more obsessed than others with details. And that's fine. Personaly, I'd rather keep my car in its category - I don't want it to become a super beast, just a boosted and healthy 240sx http://www.freshalloy.com/

Rcs476
12-14-2001, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Y.:
I'm almost there. Just need to prove the motor is reliable, then I'm done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny thing is, I think you already proved it. It's just that some people will always have their heads up their a55es.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2001, 09:14 AM
Exactly.

See, TY is going through DENIAL.. he THINKS he's close to done, or even done.. but he isnt. He's very far from being DONE.

Why? Because its endless. In the long run, ALL parts must be changed.. because all stock parts can be better. There's plenty of parts to replace with higher quality aliminum or carbon fiber parts, better lighting, wider tires, flares, paint, and then just replacing old parts that wear and break..

Oh, its SO endless.. but I'll tell you WHY, its mostly our mentality. Most list members pay good attention to all the components on their car, every time they are IN their car. I know I go insane when other people drive, especially when I cannot feel what the car is doing.. monitor stuff on gauges, etc etc.. I love being in the driver's seat.

Other people, just want to drive.. or just want to mod their cars and try to beat people in races, but not actually DO the modifications. &lt;yawn&gt;

:)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rcs476:
Funny thing is, I think you already proved it. It's just that some people will always have their heads up their a55es.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ADAM HUTCHINSON
12-14-2001, 09:17 AM
if i had the time and tools..i would like to do more hands on....but really it would be nice to drive to the race track..jump in the car and drive it..and have someone else mess with changing tires and brake fluid...

and just have the fun of designing the car..and buying the parts..

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2001, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't call it denial. I would call it a sense of reality... http://www.freshalloy.com/

I'm not into my S14 for the sake of having a Turbo S14. That's not it. I'm in it for the sake of driving enjoyment. It's not about the status nor the image. I could careless since those two are not important to what makes me happy. Getting to drive it and go fast on a road course is what makes me happy.

Sure, it would be nice to have carbon fiber hood, fenders, doors, trunk, dash, inner fenders, seats and stuff, but come on, it's my street car. I don't need stuff like that for my driving enjoyment. It's overkill. Looses the streetability of the car by going overboard. For example, toyed with idea of Tein drift-spec setup, but stopped when I tell myself, it's a street car that I can do long distance run in. If it's a track use only car, I'll go crazy on (looks like I'll have an oppurtunity to get a track use S14 sometime next year...).

So, I set realistic goals for my POS14. Yes, the 450rwhp goal was a bit much and now have re-adjusted it to 400rwhp, but it will take some time since a whole new turbo setup will have to be created.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old_s13:
See, TY is going through DENIAL.. he THINKS he's close to done, or even done.. but he isnt. He's very far from being DONE.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T66240
12-14-2001, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robkris8079:
Just wondering if anyone out there has met all there goals on fixing up their cars. Anyone look at there car and say "there is nothing else i can do to her." It seems like a never ending mission. I will never be done with mine. Sorry for the dumb post. It's late i gotta go to sleep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My car is never done. It will never be clean enough (it's not very clean), fast enough or be nice enough for my taste, but as TY says it's a street car and I want to have a life too.... I already sacficed a lot in quality of life http://www.freshalloy.com/ ..... So to answer your question NO, but I hope I'm (not my car) is done soon.....

psi
UNDER

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: UNDERpsi ]

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2001, 11:01 AM
Yup, I've often though about the # of super surround sound systems I could've have purchased, along with some Hugo Boss suits for what I've spent on my car...

Building up a 240SX is not cheap, if it's to be done properly.

sil40sx
12-14-2001, 11:12 AM
here's the problem i have. if i want something done, i go crazy till it gets done. if i like it the way it is, i run the risk of getting bored. so there's my delema. actually, im setting some goals for my s 13 build up and im hoping when its done i can be content because i mainly just love to drive.

StealthmodeS14
12-14-2001, 11:13 AM
I too have a vision of ehat my S14 will eventually look like when all said and done. Until that "look" is finally accomplished, only then will I start over on a nother car....as someone else said, propably an RX-7 or a WRX if I can afford one at that time. I will however, never get rid of the 240....atleast I hope not http://www.freshalloy.com/

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2001, 11:15 AM
What helps is to be realistic with yourself, your goals, expectation, and knowing the difference between what looks cool, vs what you really want in the end.

Stuff like dash painting, I don't get. I like a perfectly stock dash. The Nissan dash design is very business oriented. Very classy. I feel painted vents, dash trim takes away from the look. Especially when it's some white, red or any high contrast colors.

Mav1178
12-14-2001, 11:15 AM
When I am done with the car, I hope to have a win or two in some racing series.

When that happens, my car will become a trailer queen.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2001, 03:29 PM
I made a list 2 years ago of all the parts I wanted for my car. 2 years later, that list is almost finished, but a new one has been started. As long as I know there are more parts out there, I'm going to want them. I can see my car being done when I die, because I won't be able to finish it from there. Insane? Yes, but I get more satisfaction from buying, building, and tuning than anything else in the world. It's a never ending cycle.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2001, 06:06 PM
My goal is simple....beat a stock E36 M3.

Power wise, handling wise.

12-14-2001, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240craze:
My goal is simple....beat a stock E36 M3.

Power wise, handling wise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget braking http://www.freshalloy.com/

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2001, 11:26 PM
For one, I was toying with you .. I hope you DO know that! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Second, I think we relate on "street-car" because sh1t, look at my car.. its slow as all hell but super reliable, responsive, clean.. but its good enough for the streets of LOS ANGELES. Reason I type that in caps is because many of you country folk or suburb bastards have NO clue how insane LA is on your car. Lose your rims, your life, your car.. its really beautiful out here. The fresy smoggy air in the morning when you realize your car is sitting on blocks, real pleasant..

Anyway, I still havent decided which motor setup I will be doing.. but rest assured, when its done.. its going to be nice.

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Y.:
I wouldn't call it denial. I would call it a sense of reality... http://www.freshalloy.com/

I'm not into my S14 for the sake of having a Turbo S14. That's not it. I'm in it for the sake of driving enjoyment. It's not about the status nor the image. I could careless since those two are not important to what makes me happy. Getting to drive it and go fast on a road course is what makes me happy.

Sure, it would be nice to have carbon fiber hood, fenders, doors, trunk, dash, inner fenders, seats and stuff, but come on, it's my street car. I don't need stuff like that for my driving enjoyment. It's overkill. Looses the streetability of the car by going overboard. For example, toyed with idea of Tein drift-spec setup, but stopped when I tell myself, it's a street car that I can do long distance run in. If it's a track use only car, I'll go crazy on (looks like I'll have an oppurtunity to get a track use S14 sometime next year...).

So, I set realistic goals for my POS14. Yes, the 450rwhp goal was a bit much and now have re-adjusted it to 400rwhp, but it will take some time since a whole new turbo setup will have to be created.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 12:56 AM
Just make sure not too do anything too outrageous to your car in LA. Should keep in clean looking to attract less attention. Basically my philosophy is that if you have something that makes people look twice, then you are that much more likely to have your stuff stolen. SO if you attract alot of attention to your car, that new engine that you decide to go with will be a VERY nice engine in SOMEONE elses car.

Tim '95 SE

StealthmodeS14
12-15-2001, 10:02 AM
What helps is to be realistic with yourself, your goals, expectation, and knowing the difference between what looks cool, vs what you really want in the end.

Stuff like dash painting, I don't get. I like a perfectly stock dash. The Nissan dash design is very business oriented. Very classy. I feel painted vents, dash trim
takes away from the look. Especially when it's some white, red or any high contrast colors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that go for my eventual aluminum dash kit I hope to soon install. I think the interior will retain the "factory" look with just a hint of persoanl touch. I too don't like the painting the vents thing.

What's the alternative for someone who's black interior is starting to recieve the "faded" look if painting it won't look right. Would the dying process be a better choice?

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-15-2001, 10:25 AM
i dream of it completed. then i wake up.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 10:41 AM
Very true. I was very hesitant at first because of LA's high theft. Nowadays, I dont worry as much.. not too many people want a 12 year old_S13 with 7 year old S14SE leather seats. :) Amazing how "new" the S14 and those seats appear in my mind, and how old they really are. The S14 is actually old now, unreal!

The good thing is the 240SX scene is still on the down-low in LA. Since most of the enthusiasts are known and on these forums, its not like someone can easily steal your parts and then use them! People would know about it.

Besides, I put too much effort to "mark" my parts and make the installs as secure as possible. I want to make sure any thief will freakin pull his hair out trying to steal stuff out of my car. Ah, maybe thats why I dont go to any shops and like to do all the work on my car myself. :)

- Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240fluke:
Just make sure not too do anything too outrageous to your car in LA. Should keep in clean looking to attract less attention. Basically my philosophy is that if you have something that makes people look twice, then you are that much more likely to have your stuff stolen. SO if you attract alot of attention to your car, that new engine that you decide to go with will be a VERY nice engine in SOMEONE elses car.

Tim '95 SE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-15-2001, 01:30 PM
That's for you to decide. Just keep in mind: Will the same style be "fresh" 3 more years down the road?

For me, the S14's interior is pretty timeless. Won't get dated like the Celica's interior.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HondakillaS14:

Does that go for my eventual aluminum dash kit I hope to soon install. I think the interior will retain the "factory" look with just a hint of persoanl touch. I too don't like the painting the vents thing.

What's the alternative for someone who's black interior is starting to recieve the "faded" look if painting it won't look right. Would the dying process be a better choice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-15-2001, 01:35 PM
Yup, I know, my resplies may seem serious, but for those that know me, I'm only partially serious! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Definetly keep up posted on the motor project. $250 was a great price.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old_s13:
For one, I was toying with you .. I hope you DO know that! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Second, I think we relate on "street-car" because sh1t, look at my car.. its slow as all hell but super reliable, responsive, clean.. but its good enough for the streets of LOS ANGELES. Reason I type that in caps is because many of you country folk or suburb bastards have NO clue how insane LA is on your car. Lose your rims, your life, your car.. its really beautiful out here. The fresy smoggy air in the morning when you realize your car is sitting on blocks, real pleasant..

Anyway, I still havent decided which motor setup I will be doing.. but rest assured, when its done.. its going to be nice.

- Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>