PDA

View Full Version : Used turbos for a KA???

12-14-2001, 01:06 PM
You can find lots of turbos in junkyards. Volvos are one source, as are Ford 2.3L turbos and Nissan 280zx and Z31 300ZX turbos . The Ford, 280zx and Z31 300ZX all used Garrett T3 turbos, which are probably a pretty good match for the KA. Not sure about the Volvo turbos. If I were getting a junkyard turbo, I'd look at a T3 off of a 300ZX -- I think they had 0.63 A/R turbine housings (good choice for KA), and the 85-89 ones had water-cooled bearings as well (the 84's didn't).

Most turbos can be rebuilt, and there are lots of places that can do it.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 12:39 AM
Hi guys!

In another thread, Soccerbum21 sugegsted the idea of getting a turbo from a Volvo. Is it possible to do that and put the turbo on my KA s13?!? Cause I guess I could easily find a turbo in a junkyard somewhere, from a Volvo or any other turboed car.

Is it a good idea? Is there anyway to "rebuild" the turbo if it's not in perfect shape? I'd like to save some money here, but still turbo my KA and get satisfying performances. This is my daily ride.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Sorry to bring the topic back on top, but I have another question...

If I go and find a turbo, let's say, from a Ford, or a 300zx... Do I take only the turbo, or the I/C too, and some piping??

White_240sx
12-15-2001, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
Not sure about the Volvo turbos.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't the Volvo's use MHI turbos?

White_240sx
12-15-2001, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neurotoxic:
Sorry to bring the topic back on top, but I have another question...

If I go and find a turbo, let's say, from a Ford, or a 300zx... Do I take only the turbo, or the I/C too, and some piping??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to take the down pipe or L-pipe if the turbine has an integral wastegate. Of course if you are getting one (downpipe) custom made it won't matter. You may also want to take the manifold so you can reuse the flange, of course those can be custom made fairly easily as well. A Starion I/C seems to be the one to get, so try and find one of those.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 10:03 AM
So after all, it should not be THAT expensive to turbo my KA, right? Does anyone have an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a used turbo from a junkyard? US or CDN$, it doesn't matter....

White_240sx
12-15-2001, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neurotoxic:
So after all, it should not be THAT expensive to turbo my KA, right? Does anyone have an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a used turbo from a junkyard? US or CDN$, it doesn't matter....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a page from PJ's book; he will have the sub $1000 turbo set-up when he installs it. I'm sure you can have a 200rwhp system for about $2000.

You can probably land a junkyard turbo for under a couple hundred dollars, and a rebuilt for $500.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 01:25 PM
the Volvo's use T3's, none however use the 60 trim that we would be looking for. The ideal one would be from a pre-88 turbocoupe or cougar or Xr4ti

tom1192
12-15-2001, 03:01 PM
Could you take a turbo from a 300zx and have it re-housed for an external wastegate?

I thought about snaggin one from a Grand National. What do you guys think about that turbo.

12-15-2001, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom1192:
Could you take a turbo from a 300zx and have it re-housed for an external wastegate?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, I don't see why not. Or you could just replace the wastegate actuator with some sort of hard connection that will keep the internal wastegate from opening, allowing you to use an external gate.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
I thought about snaggin one from a Grand National. What do you guys think about that turbo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking about GN turbos too (not for my own project, just in general). A stock GN turbo looks like it could be a decent choice for a used turbo for a KA. I'm not real sure on the specs, but it looks to be something like a T3/T4 hybrid. A lot of the aftermarket GN turbos use T4 turbine wheels in T3-style turbine housings. One thing you have to watch out for is that GN turbos use a non-standard inlet flange -- they have a triangular 3-bolt flange (with a circular inlet) as opposed to the standard T3 4-bolt rectangular flange.

For lots of info on GN turbos and turbos in general, check out: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turbopage.html . Especially cool is the "Turbocharger Guide" section.

Asad

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: asad137 ]

AceInHole
12-15-2001, 05:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White240sx:

Take a page from PJ's book; he will have the sub $1000 turbo set-up when he installs it. I'm sure you can have a 200rwhp system for about $2000.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course.... my setup probably won't work just from the amount of luck I have, which is some negative percentage....I'm only figuring the system to push around 200hp anyways, and the first thing I'm doing once everything is made and in is upgrading to a better fuel system and ditching the RRFPR.
It looks like I'm gonna be turning in my Volvo turbine as a core for a better turbine from a GN or z31 i guess..... I'm not factoring the original price of that turbo in tho http://www.freshalloy.com/ (and even then it's still pretty close to $1k). I wonder if the Volvo unit would push the 5 psi I initially want to run though....

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2001, 06:30 PM
the volvo unit will push the 5psi you want, just dont ask for much more out of it.

AceInHole
12-15-2001, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alchemist:
the volvo unit will push the 5psi you want, just dont ask for much more out of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reason for this is because I'm wary of the RRFPR form of fuel delivery.... I've heard stock injectors alone might handle up to 4 lbs of boost... pushing a tad above it untill I can get to a dyno with a wideband O2 seems logical. from there I figure I can get an Apexi S-AFC and 370cc injectors and tune it to handle the boost, then get a new turbine and IC and go from there....

tom1192
12-15-2001, 10:00 PM
Did the Grand Nat'l have a different name? I'm looking on car-parts.com and they don't have a specific listing for the GN. They had a turbo on the '85 Regal but I'm not real sure if it is the same. Any ideas?

AceInHole
12-15-2001, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom1192:
Did the Grand Nat'l have a different name? I'm looking on car-parts.com and they don't have a specific listing for the GN. They had a turbo on the '85 Regal but I'm not real sure if it is the same. Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's the Regal.... goes up to '87 (the 86-87 is the year with the bigger turbo?). That's what I got from the link asad gave.

White_240sx
12-15-2001, 10:05 PM
Did the Grand Nat'l have a different name? I'm looking on car-parts.com and they don't have a specific listing for the GN. They had a turbo on the '85 Regal but I'm not real sure if it is the same. Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GNX were the hot turbo Buicks.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-16-2001, 12:30 AM
What about turbos from Audi and Saab?

12-16-2001, 12:57 AM
Audi uses KKK turbos, Saab uses Garrett I believe.

The *brand* of turbo doesn't really matter too much, and turbos are somewhat universal. Just pick one from an engine that's around the same size, or possibly a bit larger, and you should be fine.

Asad

What about turbos from Audi and Saab?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>