PDA

View Full Version : Oh my engine...(how I turned a bearing)

240sx
05-28-2000, 11:11 PM
Well, for a teenager, I guess, I got a cool car.
But what I did to my car isn't cool.
89 240sx KA24E.

After getting my new clutch installed I was one happy kid, Spring break, and school is on strike so ad one more week to my March break (this happened a while ago and I am just getting to posting it)
Well Friday night my buddy Derek (88 Supra Turbo) decide to hit up the import races at another town just over the river.
Let me get to the point,

Racing another 240 to prove a point that our cars are exactly the same except his is the coupe, I redline every shift, and going down a highway at speeds close to 200KM/h then my car dies....Speed Governer...

I beat him, cause my car has LESS stereo equipment and minus one fat girl in shotgun...

But really, I lost. I start my car up after it was cut off, and all of a sudden I hear some knocking, banging what have you...

Get home, park it and tell dad in the morning. Besides the "you could have been killed" speech he understands...
He's really good with cars, knows alot and can do alot with them, lucky me.

We get some advice from some-others and they all seem to agree, I have a problem with my crankshaft, and we proceed to take off the oilpan and replace a shell bearing on the 2nd connecting rod...
I had turned a beaing on the 2nd connecting rod but hadn't scored the crankshaft that bad, or had I?
After alot of "after work" days of taking it apart and getting everything off it's finished, this includes polishing the crankshaft and everything to the same effect.

It's still there, but a little less silent...

Damn.

My dad figures I should get a new engine.

Let me tell you what was found in the oil pan first, bits and pieces of plastic, my dad said it could have been when the previous owner said the timing chain broke, something had been shatered and left in the oil pan and that had clogged the oil pump and not enough oil was getting through the engine. I wish these cars had an oil pressure light...

Anyways, again, new engine we figure.

Do I look for a SOHC from a truck or Altima or can I only use one from another 240? With the KA24DE work? This engine in there has slightly over 200,000 KM's on it...

Is the platform even worth maybe a sr20det?

I paid in full for my car so I owe nothing to nobody, thank god!

Everybodys comments/advice will be very much apprieciated!

Happy Motoring everybody.

Mike (who has a beautiful 240 just sitting in the garage)

**DONOTDELETE**
05-29-2000, 12:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240sx:
Well, for a teenager, I guess, I got a cool car.
But what I did to my car isn't cool.
89 240sx KA24E.

After getting my new clutch installed I was one happy kid, Spring break, and school is on strike so ad one more week to my March break (this happened a while ago and I am just getting to posting it)
Well Friday night my buddy Derek (88 Supra Turbo) decide to hit up the import races at another town just over the river.
Let me get to the point,

Racing another 240 to prove a point that our cars are exactly the same except his is the coupe, I redline every shift, and going down a highway at speeds close to 200KM/h then my car dies....Speed Governer...

I beat him, cause my car has LESS stereo equipment and minus one fat girl in shotgun...

But really, I lost. I start my car up after it was cut off, and all of a sudden I hear some knocking, banging what have you...

Get home, park it and tell dad in the morning. Besides the "you could have been killed" speech he understands...
He's really good with cars, knows alot and can do alot with them, lucky me.

We get some advice from some-others and they all seem to agree, I have a problem with my crankshaft, and we proceed to take off the oilpan and replace a shell bearing on the 2nd connecting rod...
I had turned a beaing on the 2nd connecting rod but hadn't scored the crankshaft that bad, or had I?
After alot of "after work" days of taking it apart and getting everything off it's finished, this includes polishing the crankshaft and everything to the same effect.

It's still there, but a little less silent...

Damn.

My dad figures I should get a new engine.

Let me tell you what was found in the oil pan first, bits and pieces of plastic, my dad said it could have been when the previous owner said the timing chain broke, something had been shatered and left in the oil pan and that had clogged the oil pump and not enough oil was getting through the engine. I wish these cars had an oil pressure light...

Anyways, again, new engine we figure.

Do I look for a SOHC from a truck or Altima or can I only use one from another 240? With the KA24DE work? This engine in there has slightly over 200,000 KM's on it...

Is the platform even worth maybe a sr20det?

I paid in full for my car so I owe nothing to nobody, thank god!

Everybodys comments/advice will be very much apprieciated!

Happy Motoring everybody.

Mike (who has a beautiful 240 just sitting in the garage)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(The Altima had the ka24de engine)
Anyway if this is your only car, I would go with the ka24de engine. The ka24de would be much cheaper to fix. If you have the time,$$$ and another car, I would go with the sr20det.(especially for racing) I've seen the sr20det engine and trans for as little as $1,500, but you still have to worry about blown turbo's,wiring,ecu,a/c,radiator and a host of other things that all add up quick. (plus parts if anything breaks)If this is your only car go with a 95- ka24de engine. With bolt on mods you can get~180-190hp(&lt;from what i've seen posted)With 190hp you should be able to give your friends overweight supra a run for his money.(unless it has bolt on's)

And if you do keep the car change the front end to a 91-, the 89-90 front end is butt.

JonCarson
05-30-2000, 09:28 AM
Like ZBeast says; for a daily driver, I'd recommend a KA over an SR. The reasons are an SR swap always seems to require some amount of custom install work, more maintenance will be required for upkeep, some parts will be more expensive/harder to find for the non-US-spec SR20DET.
And of course there is the fact that you can push a decent amount of HP out of a KA24(D)E engine...

As for installing a KA24DE rather than a KA24E; you will need a '91+ wiring harness, intake and exhaust manifolds, and alot of other little miscellaneous parts that are not the same as your '89 setup.

If you decide to turbo charge a KA, it really doesn't matter whether you have the SOHC or DOHC motor. Both will yeild about the same amount of power in the end. If you're looking to drop some "race only" parts into your engine, I believe there is actually more available for the SOHC motor. This, I say after looking through the Nissan Motorsports catalog.

One comment about your trouble after running into your speed governor; Many 240 owners (myself included) have hit the governor many times and it does NOT kill your engine. It simply cuts stops the delivery of additional fuel past 115mph (actually 112). Your engine will momentarily go to idle and you'll coast back down to around 105mph before fuel delivery is resumed. It's just like taking your foot completely off the gas very suddenly.

As for the '89-'90 front end. I also have it on my 1990 and I sometimes prefer the look of the '91-'94 fronts, but I think my 240 looks old school. Plus, there are some things you can do to the '89-'90 to make it look sweet....Kinda OG drifter style...

240sx
05-30-2000, 05:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carsonjon:
As for the '89-'90 front end. I also have it on my 1990 and I sometimes prefer the look of the '91-'94 fronts, but I think my 240 looks old school. Plus, there are some things you can do to the '89-'90 to make it look sweet....Kinda OG drifter style...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like what? Lets see some pictures!

It looks like I'm just gonna get an KA24E and put it in and sell the car. Its in perfect shape, new clutch, NO Dents what-so-ever.

I'm gonna stretch my savings and a loan to see if I can get the S14 Body style, or if i get more money, get a 91 MR2 Turbo...with only 90,000 KM's... http://www.freshalloy.com/

[This message has been edited by 240sx (edited 05-30-2000).]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-31-2000, 09:44 AM
Hey it happens to the best of them. Just this weekend at the SE-R convention Mike Jez killed his sr20det in his 93 Sentra. I was with him on a test drive and it was pulling hard with like 6psi of boost. Then coming back with little to no boost it started to knock really bad. Figured it was heat soak from the top mounted interheater(err intercooler) and two hard runs. It drove 1200 miles at like 90 down there and two hard boost runs killed it. They replaced the bearings in the thing but still knocking. Figured its the wrist pins or the likes. Oh well like the saying goes, if your not breaking something your not going fast enough.

Well the ka24de is a big cast iron beast but deffinatly worth getting instead of the ka24e. The sr20det is fun and I would normaly say get it but the problems with that major of a swap is really a problem. But aftermarket on the sr20 engine isnt that bad believe me. There are plenty of things as for the rear wheel drive sr20 its a bit harder but thats why we drive Nissans instead of being spoonfed our aftermarket in a Honduh