PDA

View Full Version : what do u guys think of aluminum flywheels?

turboka24
11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
do the lightweight (9lbs) flywheels affect daily driving? if i were to take off from a stop can i still take off normally by releasing the clutch slowly and not give it gas? any one have bad stories about light flywheels? any good gains?

kaje36
11-18-2004, 11:55 AM
I dont know about a 9 lbs but I know about a 10.5 for the KA, I havent seen a single drivability issue yet.. if anything in my opinion it makes the car easier to drive. I have had a few peaple used to stock flywheel drive my car, even when the car was compealty stock by the flywheel and clutch, and they didnt have any problems.. just large smiles on there faces.

I am useing the Jun Chromally lightweight flywheel, and eventualy I would like to change to the ultralight 9.4 lbs I beleave

DeatschWerks_Dave
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I have the 8lb fidanza flywheel on my SR. I drive it everyday and don't even notice it. It makes my car a little more free revving, other than that I don't notice much of a benefit - maybe a few extra wheel ponies

turboka24
11-18-2004, 02:28 PM
how long have you guys been using them? i read someones review on one the other day and he said that because its lighter the power pulses werent as smooth and it was able to vibrate his tranny bearings apart. but i hear from other ppl that because the rpms drop faster on a shift, its easier on the synchros.

Dave562
11-18-2004, 02:32 PM
I like the Fidanza flywheel on my SR. It makes driving in traffic easier, because the RPMs fall off more quickly when you let off the gas.

Vapor
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
i'd rather spend the money on a quality chromoly

2Fass240us
11-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Couldn't agree more. I bought the TODA for my SR.

DeatschWerks_Dave
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM

Why? explain please?

Dave562
11-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Why? explain please?

In a nutshell, the chromoly flywheels are less prone to cracking than aluminum. Yet for what it's worth, I've never actually seen an aluminum flywheel crack.

cdn_w_sr20
11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
In a nutshell, the chromoly flywheels are less prone to cracking than aluminum. Yet for what it's worth, I've never actually seen an aluminum flywheel crack.

[/QUOTE]

The first time you do see it you'll be lucky if it doesn't cut through the bellhousing and into your leg while your driving. I have a billet steel and it weights 12.2 lbs. I don't think i'd ever use an aluminum flywheel.

klch
11-18-2004, 06:01 PM
but i hear from other ppl that because the rpms drop faster on a shift, its easier on the synchros.

no, when you shift, the tranny is disconnected from the flywheel, unless you're shifting w/o pressing clutch

HybridAndy
11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I just bought an Exedy chromoly for my project but it's not on the road yet. I read 12 lbs online but mine weighed in around 13 1/2 or so on the old bathroom scale upstairs. I had an aluminum clutchmasters FW in my hybrid honda and it was solid and driveable but I thought I'd try the exedy for this car.