PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing swap problem

Nyteryder
11-19-2004, 12:19 AM
I just did the sr to ka bellhousing swap and it seemed simple but after we got the tranny put back in and fill with tranny fluid i noticed after I drove for a few minutes I had a big leak, it was almost a steady stream, when I fill it up within a couple hours I am empty. All the bolts are tight and the fluid is coming out of that little hole by the bottom bolt of the housing, is there any thing that could have shifted while putting the tranny back on or is there some gasket that I did not see that need replacement, any help would be appreciated.

Nikeboy355
11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
how about the rear seal where the driveshaft slides into?...

_Def_
11-19-2004, 01:57 AM
It looked like the bell housing is sealed with some kind of liquid gasket(as is about 95% of the surfaces in this car it seems!!!). Did you reapply some?

I didn't look in the FSM, so that info might be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me when I was messing with my redtop.

RDM_II
11-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Correct, there's a bead of RTV around it, and there's also a gasket and o-ring behind the front cover, if those were damaged or torn during the swap it will leak considerably.

Nyteryder
11-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Does any off you know if there is a gasket around the front pump that could cause the leak or maybe the o ring around the shaft going into the bellhousing. A friend of mine that helped with the swap said he would bet money that the front cover is bad.

BlackBomber
11-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Does any off you know if there is a gasket around the front pump that could cause the leak or maybe the o ring around the shaft going into the bellhousing. A friend of mine that helped with the swap said he would bet money that the front cover is bad.

yes, that is what RDM was referring to. There is a gasket and a seal that goes behind the front cover.