PDA

View Full Version : preparing for first startup of built KA-T...

fiznat
11-26-2004, 12:37 AM
I think I want to try and start up the KA-T engine tomorrow for the first time, but to be honest this is the first engine I have built from the ground up and I'm not entirely confident that I know (or will be able to remember) everything that needs to be checked before the first crank up/start. I was hoping someone here could help me out with some things that I should double/triple check before I turn the key... What about priming the engine with oil? Expected wait time to build up fuel pressure? etc etc... Any help would really be appreciated.

This is a 97 KA-T built with forged internals in a S13 car with the AEM EMS callin' the shots.

insndrvr
11-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Assuming the building process was double checked as it was being built, then there isn't much as far as the engine goes that would need to be checked. The main things are makre sure you have oil and coolant. You can always crank the engine over without spark plugs or fuel to get things pumped through a little. Search on google or here, I know there is a good write up on starting and breaking in a freshly built motor.

Also, some ring sets require different break in procedures, make sure you are doing the best one for your setup.

klattr1
11-26-2004, 07:57 PM
well here's some of the things i would do if i were in your situation:

-have your timing light ready and do it right!
Setting Base Tiiming Procedure (http://ka-t.org/tech/)
-make friends with your 10mm wrench for the coolant burping bolt. motors will get all that air in there and could overheat within 10 min after startup. just keep an eye on the water temps and keep opening it up for air to escape.
-be particular with turbo oil drain lines and how they are routed so it doesnt get pinched, kinked or crushed.
-observe vacuum numbers and look for leaks if possible.

i hope this helps.

JimStinksAtDorifto
11-26-2004, 08:28 PM
remove spark plugs and crank engine over until you have oil pressure/the light goes out. Once you get it running solidly, let it high idle at about 2k for 15 mins. change oil. go drive it around in city traffic with varied loads, not 500 miles of highway crusiing. change oil. Then, slowly get into the boost, raising it higher on successive runs until you're comfortable.

rogoman
11-26-2004, 08:33 PM
The best way to pre-oil the KA is to remove the oil pressure sensor and install a fitting with a nipple end that will take a hose. You can buy a manual hand pump with hoses at both ends so that the output hose will slip on the fitting nipple and the input hose into a can filled with motor oil.

Now you can pre-oil the motor with the hand pump before ever starting the motor.

fiznat
11-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Nice, good ideas guys-- I appreciate the help!

Where is the coolant burping hole? It must be that 10mm-looking bolt thats right near the throttle body, has a sticker next to it that says not to open when hot? When I'm warming up, should I also run the heater on high to fully distribuite the coolant? ...It says to do that on the back of the antifreeze bottle...

rogoman
11-27-2004, 10:46 AM
The burp hole is where you said it is; right where the top coolant hose attaches to the block. Keeping the radiator cap off while the motor is still cool, will help clear the air pockets.

You can keep the burp hole open while the motor is still cool but don't keep it open after the motor starts warming up or else the coolant will start pouring out the hole and make a real mess and you'll lose a lot of coolant.

Running the heater will help clear out any air pockets. Also jacking up the front of the car seems to help clear out air pockets.

cnichols
11-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I never actually had to open that to bleed the air out of my cooling system...

My cousin works at a dealership and brought home a nice big plastic funnel looking thing that fits in a special radiator cap (w/ a hole in the top for the funnel to sit in) that clamps down (like a normal radiator cap) and makes it airtight w/ the radiator. I just started the car and started pouring....kept the funnel full and the bubbles kept coming. Waited till they stopped and shut the car off. Removed everything and haven't had a problem. Greatest invention ever.