PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a ka24e

gtrhardbody
11-28-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a 240sx motor and it needs to be rebuilt. i was thinking about building it myself.i have never built a motor before.so i need some info on what all i need to get and do to rebuild it.thanks for any info

insndrvr
11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/search.php?Cat=

Five10PacksDE
11-28-2004, 02:31 PM
The machine work is going to cost around the same if you were to rebuild a high performance 4 cyl or a low performance one. You could do it, but I rather start with a ka24de at least.

rogoman
11-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Rebuilding an engine is a precision art. If you've never done one yourself, get somebody that's done it before to help you. Get some books on engine building to at least get familiar with the procedures. Get a Nissan FSM which is a must. If you don't know what you're doing, you can make some very costly mistakes along the way.

Basically what you'll be doing is disassembling, cleaning, taking the parts to a machine shop for reconditioning, then measuring and measuring and measuring, and reassembling.

Some of the basic things that need to be done for starters is getting the block boiled and magnefluxed, measuring the cylinders for out-of-round and taper then determining if the cylinders need only to be honed or bored to the next oversize. The crank needs to be magneflux and straightened then the journals measured to determine if they need to be reground to the next undersize. The rods need to be magnefluxed and straightened. If the block had to be honed or rebored, new pistons will most likely be required.

There's a lot to reassembly. Measuring piston-to-wall clearances, measuring rod/main bearing clearances, wrist pin clearances, rod side clearances, crank end play, setting up piston ring gaps. The list goes on.