PDA

View Full Version : subframe bushings

statik
12-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Im swapping an s13 VLSD into my s14, I have some pulyurethane bushings for the subframe mount but I cant get the old bushings out. I got half of them out, the only thing left in there is the outer metal ring, its stuck in there good and i CANT get it out, i tried using an air hammer and it wont budge. Anyone have any ideas?

Kookz
12-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Hacksaw.

24zer0
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
like kookz said use a hack saw, take the blade off one end of the saw and put it through the middle of the sleave and then reconect it to the saw, then cut a slot in the sleave and it will come right out then.

RDM_II
12-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Sawzall works faster.

cosmoworks
12-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Andy's got some pics in his recent thread:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67796118&page= 1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

-Cosmo

24zer0
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
I just recently saw a post where somebody put in some energy suspension z32 bushings with pics but now I cant find it, has anyone seen that post I search my ass off with no luck.

roycenagger
12-05-2004, 03:16 PM
I just recently saw a post where somebody put in some energy suspension z32 bushings with pics but now I cant find it, has anyone seen that post I search my ass off with no luck.

It wasn't me, however I've done this on one of my s-13s.
In short, they do not fit. The diameter is right, but they are too tall.
I used a table saw to shorten them after very careful measurements.
The shell of the original rubber mounts are to be left in the subframe, so I drilled out the rubber, then used a sturdy wire brush on the drill to remove the remaining rubber.

edit: The inner metal sleeves that came with the bushings had to be shorted also. 10mm IIRC. (I can dig out my notes if anyone wants them).
I believe they need to be the same length as the original sleeves out of the rubber bushings.

Pics were taken, but not developed yet.
The results were good and cabin noise is minimal except at 72 - 78 mph where there is some resonance. Certainly much better than solid ones, one would think.

-Royce