PDA

View Full Version : throwout bearing question (tried searching)

HybridAndy
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm working on putting my redtop SR20DET back together and I'm getting ready to install my new ACT 6 puck with an Exedy flywheel and I went to pull replace the throwout bearing but the one that was included with my clutch is a different design than the OE unit.

The OE bearing appears to be a typical bearing with the center section roatating independant of the outer section where as my ACT bearing is more of a traditional (at least compared to Honda's, what I have experience with) one side rotating compared to the other. It looks like I can press the ACT bearing onto the sleeve/slide but inorder for it to work, it will be like a reveresed C with the rotating part inside the outer bearing. It should still make contact with the pressure plate but I don't know if that's correct or not. I wish I could take a pic but my girlfriend has my digital camera till Friday. I've been reading the recommendations to just pickup a '95 throwout bearing and I might just do that but I was hoping somebody else might have an idea.

Five10PacksDE
12-08-2004, 02:17 AM
If it is that off, I would go get a jdm throw out bearing form the shops taht sell OEM sr20det rwd stuff. I used a 95 ka24de one, my car is not running yet, but it looed identical to teh origional sr20det rwd one.

Society_Mike
12-08-2004, 07:24 AM
It's probably the same. Depending on where you go HERE, to buy a TOB, you may get 1 of 3 designs. I ave seen both of what your talking about, plus one with a sleeve going around it, only the center spinning. All work the same.

Vr6wantSr20det
12-08-2004, 09:43 AM
i just did this last week...I bought the act 6-puck and heavy duty PP clutch kit from heavythrottle and when i went to get the bearing pressed i noticed a difference. Also with my friend who did his clutch a month ago with the exedy stage 2. Also the bearing that came with it was different than the OE, but it works...i wouldnt worry about it. But if ur really worried checkt he part numbers to make sure.

s13dummy
12-08-2004, 10:24 AM
If it is that off, I would go get a jdm throw out bearing form the shops taht sell OEM sr20det rwd stuff. I used a 95 ka24de one, my car is not running yet, but it looed identical to teh origional sr20det rwd one.

Im running a KA TOB. Hits like a champ.

Five10PacksDE
12-08-2004, 12:45 PM
"Im running a KA TOB. Hits like a champ. "
Are you saying it is good? Just checking

HybridAndy
12-09-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm going to say that's a positive thing. I was looking at it earlier and it looks like the ACT TO bearing will work, just a little different design. Hopefully I can run it into work tomorrow and press it on to the sleeve.