PDA

View Full Version : Kaaz 2 way lsd questions.

gotsohc
12-14-2004, 01:22 AM
my car now has a kaaz 2 way lsd..... Im new to 2 way lsds...and i have a few questions. I've heard about the regular noises i should hear.... like a knockin sound and tire skipping. Is whinning a normal 2 way thing.....my rear end whines a lil bit...not 2 bad.... it also makes the knocking sound only sometimes....not always. IS this all normal? are there any other signs i should look for. and what kind of maintanence is required....fluid change once a month?

_Def_
12-14-2004, 03:53 AM
I've never personally had experience with the JDM aftermarket clutch diffs, but on cars that had a factory clutch difff, they did not whine at all. A slight whining noise can also come from an improperly setup differential. I had too little bearing preload on my diff(S15 LSD, 4.36 gears) and when I put it in I got a bit of whining, and also some ringing when on the throttle from what I believe to be too much backlash. I'm kind of guessing as the what is causing what symptoms, but my diff was improperly(read: I skipped that just to see how it'd do with proper tooth engagement), and I got noises.

Might want to talk to the guy who put it in for you if you still get whining in the future(and it's not normal).

PowerdBY007
12-14-2004, 08:05 AM
are these on straights or turns?

Kazz can be a pretty loud or relatively quiet but most of them that I have exp with is that they are loud. on turns you will feel wheel hop and and CLUNKing sound.. clunk clunk clunk.. I never really heard a whine from the ones I have been dealing with. if you just put it in.. there is a break-in period.. and oil change after that.. when you change that .. check for any metal shavings.. this will tell you if it is OK.. if you dont really see and shavings then your good to go

duey
12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
My KAAZ made plenty of "clunks" and "whines" the first ~5k miles. Since then it's been getting less and less noisy. I was asking myself the same questions the first few weeks i had installed my diff and was getting concerned about it but a few people told me it was just the diff breaking in.

btw: not sure if you should change the fluid "monthly" but alot of people recommended to me to change it every other oil change (~4-5k mi).

gotsohc
12-14-2004, 12:08 PM
alright cool.....I purchased the rear end already assembled in a pumpkin.....i was told it was installed at a shop in socal....its been used so i dont know exactly how many miles are on it.....but last night after 4 drifts it started to whine when i accelerated. mind you my car is completely stripped and i can hear every little noise.
Ill try changing the fluid, to see what kind of condition its in.

alex_kors
12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
My KAAZ made plenty of "clunks" and "whines" the first ~5k miles. Since then it's been getting less and less noisy.

my kaaz 1.5 way has like 3k on it and it never whined ever. even with the douche that left break in fluid for 600 miles in it.