PDA

View Full Version : S13 VLSD output shafts

Silverbullet86
12-23-2004, 02:45 PM
hey, i have a VLSD but i do not have the output shafts. Obviously i can not use the open diff ones that my car currently has so what are my options? Which cars can i pull them off of?

Chins180sx
12-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Been cover 1 googleing times but uumm J30 output shafts and half shafts work great, or join the waiting line for the output shafts hahah

duncan351
12-23-2004, 05:59 PM
People keep saying you can't use open diff output shafts but I installed them before. The only difference is the one axle wouldn't lock in but the axles don't move anyway once the diff is installed. So its not like the axle is going to fall out of the car while drving down the road.

Why don't they work of there than that? They did for me.

Silverbullet86
12-24-2004, 12:25 AM
People keep saying you can't use open diff output shafts but I installed them before. The only difference is the one axle wouldn't lock in but the axles don't move anyway once the diff is installed. So its not like the axle is going to fall out of the car while drving down the road.

so you are saying they WILL work by using stock S13 open diff output shafts? your lsd is fully functional? i read everywhere that open diff shaft would not work.

duncan351
12-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Its was a J30 LSD with the star pattern output shafts. I popped them out and used some output shaft from an open diff from an S14. Like I said one snapped in the other wouldn't. It would slide out if you leaned the diff in that direction but this is outside the car. Its not going anywhere once bolted up. It worked fine.

HamsterBall
12-24-2004, 05:22 AM

He is talking about the OUTPUT SHAFTS, not the AXLES.

The axles are what bolt onto the output shafts of the differential.

The output shafts are what insert into the differential and are what the gear inside turns.

duncan351
12-25-2004, 05:33 PM

He is talking about the OUTPUT SHAFTS, not the AXLES.

The axles are what bolt onto the output shafts of the differential.

The output shafts are what insert into the differential and are what the gear inside turns.

Yea I know http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif .

Silverbullet86
12-26-2004, 08:05 PM
hrm.. so do open diff output shafts work or not?

nissandrift
12-26-2004, 11:56 PM
I don't know if the open ones wll work or not, but I have a set of 5 bolt output shafts from a VLSD. I also have the axles that will work on an S14. The axles that work on S13's would be either some J30's, and some 180sx's.

solarex
12-27-2004, 02:40 AM
what vlsd are you using? if it's a j30 vlsd, why dont you just use the j30's axles, to make life so much easier. the j30's axles are the same lenght as the 240, just more beefier.