PDA

View Full Version : GOOD REASON NOT TO BUY A ATI PROCHARGER!!!

Mitch
12-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Do to improper installation of my ATI procharger I had $1,462 worth of repair work done to my G35 at Discover Infiniti in Escondido,Ca.
I purchased and had my procharger installed by GRC Performance in Mission Viejo, Ca. because they were A RECOMMENDED installer by Procharger. On a recent drive I noticed my AC was not blowing cold air so I took my car to the Infiniti dealer since it is under warranty. Upon inspection in which they had to remove part of the supercharger assembly, they discovered that the Bellmouth which is part of the supercharger was rubbing against the AC high and low pressure lines and rubbed a hole through them. In addition there was damage to the condensor fittings do to the engine moving slightly on its mounts (which is normal) so the condensor had to be replaced also. To make a long story short I had $614 in parts, $800 for labor and &47 for tax due to improper supercharger installation. Obviously this was not a Infiniti warranty issue so I paid them.
After reading the Prochargers owners manual I discovered on page 20 that it will probaly be necessary to move the AC lines forward to clear the Bellmouth. I contacted Procharger about this and they asked me to contact the place that installed it. (The place Procharger recommeded). GRC performance would not accept any responsibility for my expense so I called Procharger back to see if they would offer compensation since they recommended GRC. He said he would call me back. He did call and basically said sorry, but there is nothing we can do for you. You would think after spending $5300 plus tax for the Procharger and another $950 for installation you would be treated fairly but this is not the case with Procharger. Neither Procharger or their recommended installer "GRC" are willing to accept responsibility for their mistake.
My only recourse now is to sue for damages and to go on as many forums as possible and let people know what kind of company Procharger is. It is my goal to cost them way more in lost Procharger sales than they cost me. I HIGHLY recommend NOT dealing with the Procharger company if you value integrity and customer service. You will not get it from them!

Eagle1
12-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Sorry for your difficulties. It does not however sound like Procharger did anything wrong, but that it was installed improperly. I have almost 18,000 miles on mine, and that includes plenty of airconditioning, no problem. I think your installer just goofed.

Mitch
12-26-2004, 07:06 PM
What Procharger is doing wrong is is recommending GRC performance as a certified procharger installer. If you recommend a particular company to install your product you should back them. If the company you recommend does INFERIOR work, Procharer should at the very least take responsibility and remove them from ther list of certified installers. Who they recommend reflects on them. Nobody likes spending that kind of money to have a crappy job done on their car. Someone needs to be accountable.

rouxroux
12-26-2004, 07:17 PM
20K on our unit, no problems (although I attribute that to Grubbs doing the install)...I'd go after the installer for sure. Things are cooking along quite fine with our C2. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Keep us advised on how this gets resolved.

Robbie
12-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Giving the notice in the installation manual, the installer looks to have a lot of responsibility on this one. Go back to the installer with the manual and ask why the unit was not installed in accordance with the instructions.

If they won't work something out, start making calls to the BBB, CPA, etc. Follow-up in small claims court if necessary.

G35fromPA
12-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Sorry to hear about the difficulties. I probably would have taken the car to the installer first to see what they would do about it, and then to Infinti. This way, you've left the door open for them to claim that you gave them no opportunity to rectify the problem before going straight to Infiniti.

Mitch
12-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Sherwooa,
I sincerely doubt if your AC was not working that the first place people would go is the place they had a supercharger installed. If the car is under warranty and the AC was not working I believe most people would go back to the dealer.

Gerry35
12-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Just take it straight to small claims court if the installer will not discuss. No point wasting your time and energy here or otherwise. If the install manual is as straight forward as you say on the issue, you will win easily. I would not be surprised if you hear from the installer with an improved attitude the day that they receive the notice for the court hearing. They are betting that you won't bother with the hassle of small claims as most people talk big but don't follow through. Get the paperwork started, its the only way that thay will see that you mean business.

Mitch
12-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Gerry35,
You are absoulutly right about what you said. I posted this information at the forum with the hope of persuading people from buying a Procharger. If I could influence even one person from buying a Procharger because of their disrespect for the customer I've done my job here.

shaun
12-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Gerry35,
You are absoulutly right about what you said. I posted this information at the forum with the hope of persuading people from buying a Procharger. If I could influence even one person from buying a Procharger because of their disrespect for the customer I've done my job here.

hmm..I dont think Gerry35 said that at all. He said to take the installer to court..did not say anything about the ati procharger. I too think you should take the installer to small claims court..but you should not even consider that ati should carry any responsibility. They probably havent gotten complaints about this installer in the past. What you should do is tell them what happened and hopefully they will not reccomend that installer in the future.

G35fromPA
12-26-2004, 10:14 PM
I dunno, I beg to differ. After dropping 6 large on major engine work, especially an item that is belt driven (I think?), my immediate thought would be that the A/C problem is related to the procharger install. Why would the AC just all of a sudden fail on its own?

When you're solving a problem, first remove all the free variables, like "have you changed anything in the engine bay recently?" http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Robbie
12-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Gerry35,
... I posted this information at the forum with the hope of persuading people from buying a Procharger. If I could influence even one person from buying a Procharger because of their disrespect for the customer I've done my job here.

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the Procharger if installed correctly. They gave you an installer recommendation. The installer messed up. That's who you need to deal with.

The most Procharge needs to consider is to drop the installer from their recommended list if they don't make it right to you.

Glicious
12-27-2004, 09:23 AM
True dat. "Recommended installers" that are recommended by manufacturers are typically those installers that have invested in a minimum amount of training and certification for the manufacturer's product(s). It would be impossible for ATI to go around checking how well they did all their installs, which is why this forum is so valuable if you can get a recommendations related to your situation.

My brother went through this kind of scenario and started the small claims court process. The day before the court date, the shop caved in. Exercise your rights and go get 'em.

You'll probably need at least an affidavit from your Infiniti service manager regarding what they screwed up.

Time
12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Shops that do bad work should own up to their mistakes.
I've been in a similar situation before and the shop
denied everything. I wasted time trying to resolve things
though the BBB, but they couldn't do anything. The method
to get anything done in this country is to sue.

Go to small claims court. It's a small fee, you fill out
some paperwork, and then serve the shop court papers.
They have a chance to settle before going to court, and
most likely they will. Otherwise, you have a fairly easy
case to win with your ATI instruction manual and paperwork
from Infiniti.

FrizzleFry
12-27-2004, 12:40 PM
You aren't the only one that's had problems dealing w/ GRC. Friend's mustang 96 GT's motor was built and tuned by them. Soon after a supercharger (vortech) was put on. 1 wk later, belt broke. 2 wks later 2nd belt broke. 1 month later 3rd belt broke. For some reason they weren't ever able to get the SC pulley and belts working well. Always rubbing and getting frayed. Needless to say he won't be going back to them anymore. SC is now sold and we're in the process of rebuilding the motor due to a spun bearing.

rouxroux
12-27-2004, 01:12 PM
There you go...a history of shoddy workmanship and obviously not following instructions. Sounds like a "slam-dunk" to me. Small claims court, here you come! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EricFeazel
12-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Mitch let us know where this goes.

Q45tech
12-28-2004, 10:10 AM
"You would think after spending $5300 plus tax for the Procharger and another $950 for installation you would be treated fairly but this is not the case with Procharger. Neither Procharger or their recommended installer "GRC" are willing to accept responsibility for their mistake."

Only $950 for installation?

Most typical parts cost just slightly more than their labor......maybe if you had spend $2500 for installation?

At that low labor price you can't get much "thinking" only short cuts.

You'll have to sue them [installer] in small claims court.

I would think a proper install would take 2 days [$2-3000] in labor to check and recheck test drive dyno then check again adjust belts etc.

dfw_danny
12-28-2004, 10:35 AM
"You would think after spending $5300 plus tax for the Procharger and another $950 for installation you would be treated fairly but this is not the case with Procharger. Neither Procharger or their recommended installer "GRC" are willing to accept responsibility for their mistake."

Only $950 for installation?

Most typical parts cost just slightly more than their labor......maybe if you had spend $2500 for installation?

At that low labor price you can't get much "thinking" only short cuts.

You'll have to sue them [installer] in small claims court.

I would think a proper install would take 2 days [$2-3000] in labor to check and recheck test drive dyno then check again adjust belts etc.

I could not agree more! Our installation charge is approx $2000 which includes dyno tuning the system.

There is no way that anyone can do a complete install and tune for $950 unless they are paying the tech minimum wage and no tech worth his salt is going to work for that!

rouxroux
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
And as stated "you get what you pay for"...Ours was the 1st ATI install done @ Grubbs, and I can't tell you the time and attention to detail that they took in doing it right the first time. Of course, there were some small re-adjustments that needed to be made over time, but they have been most gracious and helpful in that regard. Just "slapping the unit on" is NOT the way to assure your happiness in the future.

Eagle1
12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Let me jump on the bandwagon with respect to the installation. It is not an 8-10 hour job for one guy as the handbook suggests. Unless you have done a bunch of them and know exactly what you are up to. Try about 18-20 hours, with checking and rechecking, and then tuning on the dyno. There is just no way a competent tech is going to be able to do this for less than $1,500 plus the dyno and tuning time. The concept of a true "bolt on" and go is just silly when you are talking about this much power addition. Do it right, and it works smoothly under careful supervision and attention. Do it wrong at the incept and one is toast. This is an installer problem clearly.
And it is NOT rocket science that we are talking about here. The systems and approaches have been around for decades. A quality installer can do this very smoothly and capably. It is not just the shop. It is the guy in the shop who turns the wrenches that you have to interview and get a reference to.

Mitch
12-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Let me address some of these post,
sherwooa,
I did not suspect the Procharger causing the damage initially because it took 5 months from the install until the bellmouth rubbed through the pressure lines.
Robbie,
You are right there is nothing wrong with the Procharger unit itself however Procharger made it clear they were not considering dropping GRC performance from there recommended installer list in spite of having more then 1 claim against them. So why trust Procharger on their recommendations?
As far as the priced I paid for the install I am not a mechanic so I went with a company that Procharger recommended to me not having a clue what it cost to put one on. I did expect it to be done right given the circumstances.
In addition another person on this forum (mnj123) had problems with his Procharger installed by GRC. Leaking oil from blowby from the breather tube.
Also my air dam hangs 1/2" lower on the drivers side do to a intercooler pipe after the install.(mnj123) said his G35 was the same way on that. The owner of GRC who did the install said this is normal on the Procharger installs so I did not press that issue.