PDA

View Full Version : No rev limiter!?!

jOeHaCk98
12-21-2001, 08:37 PM
I really dont think i have a rev limiter. I tested it today but didnt really push it. I rev'd really close to 7k. what am i supposed to feel when it kicks in, isnt it set a 6k or something. well im out to test it again. if it matters i was in 3rd.

KenFuji
12-22-2001, 06:40 AM
on a ka it is 6900rpm
on a s13 sr20det it is 7500rpm
on a s14 and above sr20det it is 7250rpms

you feel the engine cut in and out and see the needle bounce arond the limted area.

97KAT
12-22-2001, 09:00 AM
I have seen mine go past redline with out hitting a limiter. I saw it hit while doing donuts in 1st and it looked like it was bouncing off 7,000 rpm exactly. (I had never tried it before and had always wanted to)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-22-2001, 04:07 PM
My '90 KA24E once reved out to 7,200rpm before I let off the gas in a corner... isn't it meant to stop sooner than the KA24DE? http://www.freshalloy.com/... dunno what was up with that.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-22-2001, 04:09 PM
speed limiter was still there at 180 tho =\

toadgee
12-22-2001, 05:06 PM
Hmmm.....I took my sr-powered car to the dyno the other day and it didn't like to go above I think about 6500 rpm in fourth. Since the rev-limiter is 7500rpm, did I hit the speed limiter or something? I didn't go over and look to see what speed he was going.

Here's my dyno:
http://www.geocities.com/toadgee/dyno.html

Please only look at the first run. The second one my throttle cable came unbolted and didn't give an accurate reading. http://www.freshalloy.com/ It was run @ 6psi w/ stock intercooler and 3" downpipe & apex'i n1 single exhaust for those of you who care.

As you can see, it hit 6500rpm and dropped down and then dropped down to practically nothing at about 7000rpm. I've only taken it in first and second to probably about 7000rpm so I didn't know. My tach from my 91 will display any rpms over 6900rpms, right? I wasn't sure because of the whole rev limiter thing. I didn't know if the needle would go past it. Thanks~

-Todd

Papa Lazarou
12-22-2001, 06:43 PM
That looks like it might be the speed limiter kicking in at 112 mph.

My own car had the limiter defeated by somehow altering the speed sender to send the signal in MPH rather than KPH. So I guess its still limited but to 180MPH!!

You can get a HKS or Blitz "Speed Limit Defencer" to get around it.

Oh, something else to remember is the tacho under-reads quite a bit. Something like an Apexi S-AFC or AVCR takes the RPM signal straight from the ECU, which gives you a much more accurate RPM reading.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-22-2001, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Papa Lazarou:
My own car had the limiter defeated by somehow altering the speed sender to send the signal in MPH rather than KPH. So I guess its still limited but to 180MPH!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no such animal. the electronics with MPH and KPH dashes are exactly the same. it's just that the gauge face is different. (don't know about the digital dash, probably has a switch or jumper somewhere) the speed sensor is the same and the ecu is the same. the signals from the tranny are the same whether you're in canada or the states. you probably just dont have a speed limiter at all.

Papa Lazarou
12-22-2001, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mwreck:

no such animal. the electronics with MPH and KPH dashes are exactly the same. it's just that the gauge face is different. (don't know about the digital dash, probably has a switch or jumper somewhere) the speed sensor is the same and the ecu is the same. the signals from the tranny are the same whether you're in canada or the states. you probably just dont have a speed limiter at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps I should expand on this. I have a j-spec Silvia which I imported from Japan. All JDM vehicles are limited at 180 kph unless removed somehow by their owners. Part of the UK compliance requirements state that the speedo must read in Mph. What I suspect they (the people who prepared the car for UK spec) have done is fitted a new or recaliberated the speed sensor.

The reason I suspect this is because my Apex-i AVCR boost controller is wired straight into the ECU speed signal, and this is clearly dispaying speeds at MPH rather than KPH..

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what was done to achieve this.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-22-2001, 10:02 PM
seriously, the japanese and american (and i'm guessing UK) speedometers are the same angularly. ie, the needle points up at the same physical speed at both miles and kilometers per hour. 55 and 90 or whatever are in the same spot on the gauge. the only difference is that the marks are spaced differently on the gauge face. i have a japanese speedometer sitting in my garage, i checked. i'm pretty sure people hook up japanese SR ecu's to american gauges. all they did was disable the speed limiter.

the speed sensor doesnt send a signal in MPH or KPH, it's just a pulse per rotation of the driveshaft.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Papa Lazarou:

Perhaps I should expand on this. I have a j-spec Silvia which I imported from Japan. All JDM vehicles are limited at 180 kph unless removed somehow by their owners. Part of the UK compliance requirements state that the speedo must read in Mph. What I suspect they (the people who prepared the car for UK spec) have done is fitted a new or recaliberated the speed sensor.

The reason I suspect this is because my Apex-i AVCR boost controller is wired straight into the ECU speed signal, and this is clearly dispaying speeds at MPH rather than KPH..

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what was done to achieve this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>