PDA

View Full Version : Dean Sherman Crossmember???

Demon
12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Has anyone seen the quality of Dean Sherman's SR/KA Modified crossmember?

Five10PacksDE
12-29-2004, 01:04 AM
Nope. where are they located?

Demon
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Nope. where are they located?

You can actually use deans brackets for your rear brake swap. But, he is located in the bay area.

stock4door
12-31-2004, 06:41 AM
He mig welds his work and only reverses the control arm pick up points. So you are basically bolting the whole crossmember in backwards. Hole-sawing out the control arm pick up points is risky business due to the fact that it is highly unlikely they will ever go back in perfectly straight. Plus, the mounting bolt holes for the crossmember never line back up with the chassis perfectly as they are not square to begin with, the frame rails bow at an angle and the bolt holes follow that.
In my honest opinion, a much cleaner and proper method is to do a crossmember that has been jigged up nicely, with the center section cut out and welded in reverse. I usually like to ad re-inforcement and do them all tig welded.

Danny

Demon
12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info, I might just fab up my own (I trust my tig welds) but just dont want to mess around with it. Maybe if I made a whole bunch of them but not just one.

Five10PacksDE
12-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Welding is not a problem for me either, but what is the problem if i were to make my own kit is if the driveline is any good, and where would I go to get my custom sway bar? TIG looks real nice, but MIG is just as strong.

stock4door
12-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Mig CAN be just as good. Most of the time it isn't cuz people don't take the time to clean it so penetration and overall weld quality is poor. It's to easy to get overly excited to finish the job and just point and shoot with a mig welder. That is why they are cheap and affordable at home depot or any hardware store.

I do all my reversed crossmembers tigged just to ensure quality. I have them all hot tanked and bead blasted completely around the weld areas before doing any cutting or welding.

Sway bars are readily available via DGR fab here in the bay area. See other thread on sway bars.

Five10PacksDE
01-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Nice!

Demon
01-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree with the mig vs tig, but I sold my Miller Mig on ebay a while ago to get the Miller Econotig just cause the welds look so much better plus I like the Tig over Mig cause I used to solder a lot when I worked in the Car Audio industry and Tig has a better feel and more control for me.

TTwomp
01-02-2005, 12:05 PM
, and where would I go to get my custom sway bar? TIG looks real nice,

Contact me for a Front sump sway bar, I have them in stock, and ready to ship.

canyoncarver
01-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree with the mig vs tig.

I have the Miller Econotig too. One of the best investments I ever made.