PDA

View Full Version : P1320 2001 Infiniti QX4 Check Engine Light Help

Chedman13
12-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I brought my 2001 Infiniti QX4 to the dealership because I got the Service Engine Soon Light on. It is the code P1320, for a fault in the Ignition Coil System, and the tech just reset the check engine light.

They said it is most likely the coils (which I hear are the problem in a lot of maximas with the same VQ35DE engine) which is either $174 for one coil, or replacing all six for $757. The computer does not tell which one is faulty, if at all.

Any *cheaper* solution or reason why I am getting this code? I didn't want to pay $757 off the bat until I get some more feedback.

I'm pretty sure it was a misfire because when it happened (twice in 10,000 miles) the car started shaking like the pistons were out of sync (or something like that....).

Infiniti_Driver
01-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I had the same problem. Try to get the oxygen sensors fix first since that was what they did to mines last after reparing the ignition coil under warranty. The oxygen sensors are a chip that detects the gas usuage and combustions, and when it fails the car backfires sometimes. Let me know.

Tej

Chedman13
01-11-2005, 10:50 AM
My warranty expired May 9th, 2004. Nissan Dealership: $757 to replace and install all six ignition coils. Infiniti Dealership ~$720 (can't remember exactly). Went to autozone, a single coil is $70. So basically $420+installation. What should I do? Try replacing the oxygen sensors first, then the coils? And is this a job I can trust my local mechanic with? I hear replacing coils are pretty easy (I'd rather not deal with it though).

plmont
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Purchase an Infinti Factory Service Manual on CD-ROM... you'll save yourself a fortune in maintenance/repair bills and learn one hell of a lot about your vehicle. Then no one will be able to "take you for a ride". I read up a little on the P1320 code in my manual and it provides other possible culprits for the fault...Diagnosing yourself looks pretty simple.

Getting to the coils looks as easy as removing the intake air ducting and pulling them off each spark plug. I'd say about 10 minutes to check each one...How simple is that?

If it turns out it is one or more of the coils, you can purchase genuine Infiniti replacements online for $50-$60 each plus shipping.

And you say the dealer wants over $700 for that little bit if work? The gouging that goes on at dealers never ceases to amaze me...

Paul

InfinityLady
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I just recently came across a issue similar to Chedman13 but with two codes...

My car is out of warranty...my engine started idling rough and the service light came on recently...I took it to a local mechanic who did the diagnostic and advised cylinder two needed to be replaced...this was based on him doing a computer check and getting codes P1320 and P0302"....I then called the local infiniti service dealer who advised i should have all 6 coils replaced since computer diagnosis is not accurate...The cost for this, if their diagnosis confirm that the coils needs to be replaced, would be about $700.

This is a big expenditure and I want to see what Chedman13 decided and if anyone else out there has further information...

Could you please let me know.
Thanks

daveblank
01-18-2005, 07:06 AM
For code p1320 replace all coils.
for codes p1320 & p0302 just replace coil for cyl #2. If code p1320 returns then replace other 5. The code of p0302 tells you that the misfire is in cyl 2 & therefore is most likely causing the ignition signal failure also.

Chedman13
01-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Infinitylady, do exactly what daveblank said.

I went to 3 dealerships and 1 local mechanic. Basically the VQ35DE has bad coils (frequent in Maxima and QX4). This is consistent with the forums and the tech's at nissan and infiniti.

Options:
1) replace one coil for $174 at nissan/infiniti dealer.
2) replace all for $700 at nissan/infiniti dealer.
3) buy coils online either autozone or infiniti wholesaler. Make sure you talk to them that you are getting the correct coils. I can't remember the exact prices but, one coil was ~$78 the rest were ~$55, so I'm guessing one coil might be different??? You can then go to your local deal and have them replaced for NO MORE than TWO hours of labor (should take <1 hour), but I'm sure they'll charge you for two. I estimate 75 an hour, so look at $150 or less at your local mechanic.
If you plan on keeping this thing for a LONG time, replace all of them now and save up
4) Buy them and replace them yourself, and do the job for around $420.

I would trust a local mechanic due to the ease of replacing coils.

What did I do?

I went to Infiniti to see if they had them i stock (they did). I went to the local mechanic and told him to buy those coils (they get them at a discount). I told the mechanic I'd have him install them if he did it for $100. He agreed.

Out the door? Around $588+tax. I could have tried myself, but it's just too cold out right now.

As long as you know what you're talking about, you can sweet talk mechanics into getting what they should charge you (he quoted me at 2-3 hours labor).

I was hoping to get a single coil but only got P1320. It fires in ciruit, so it happens so fast the computer can't figure out which one was bad. You're lucky you got the second code. I probably could have also got an ohmmeter and test each coil.... not worth it for me.

behorn7508
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
i have trouble code p1320 but have a code p0325 for my knock sensor and it just shows as pending. Ive heard that might go away if i fix p1320. If anyone has had the same some input would be great.

tjzeke
04-10-2010, 05:19 AM
I am having a problem getting rid of the P1320 code. Before it came up I had a P0301 code appear just about a month ago. I changed the spark plug as that code indicates a misfire. That did nothing to improve driveability. I then changed out the coil on cylinder #1. That improved driveability greatly. However, then the P1320 appeared and I cannot get it to go away. I have cleared it many times. It comes back within a few miles.
Prior to all of this, starting back about 6 months ago I replaced a knock sensor. That did cure the pinging problem. Next I had the EGR valve replaced. It was all gummed up and had turned on a code. Just after that I replaced an oxygen sensor. I had a code P0139 which indicated: Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1).
Gave all this history just in case it might help.
If anyone finds an answer to the P1320 issue I hope it gets posted here.