PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure sending unit question (searched, pic)

HybridAndy
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
What's up? With the nice weather we've been having on the east coast, I've got some work done on my SR20 but I have a question about my Greddy oil pressure sending unit. I've been doing some research and it seems the factory unit is only for the dummy light on the dash, which will serve little purpose once the new gauge is installed. I was planning to simply remove it and replace it with the greddy sending unit. I was looking it over today and the greddy sending unit threads into the hole on the block

http://divizion.com/240/replacement/1-3-014.jpg

but from what I've read, the Greddy (and most other) sending units are NPT and the block is a BSPT opening. I did a search and found a few threads that recommend the autometer part# 2269 BSPT to NPT adaptor. I'm assuming that's all I need to install this sending unit?

I've heard you shouldn't use teflon tape on oil connections like this because it could possible block the flow of oil. It seesm silly as the tape is on the threads but I wanted to know what other people have used. Also, do I need to do anything with the stock oil pressure sensor wire? I know it just controls the dummy light but I'd perfer it not be on all the time. If the sensor isn't attached, does the light just stay off or do I have to ground the wire or feed it a swtiched 12v to keep it happy? Thanks for any help.

hybridynamics
01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
you don't need the adapter, use teflon paste instead of tape. the difference between bspt and npt is so small that the soft aluminum makes up the difference. i never had the adapter and i had no problems. if you leave the wire disconnected, the light stays off. the stock sender grounds the circuit when there is no oil pressure

BlackBomber
01-03-2005, 08:46 PM
the greddy sending units are not npt. they are the same as the factory sending unit.

HybridAndy
01-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Ha ha, small world. What's up Jason, this is Andy from Connellsville.

The greddy gauge comes with a short braided hose extension to move the sensor away from the block and it sure seemed like the OE sensor and the Greddy unit threaded into the one side almost exactly the same. I'll just install the new sending unit and watch it for leaks. Thanks for the help.

hybridynamics
01-03-2005, 10:06 PM
yeah, i kind of figured it was you. yeah, the greddy one should thread right in. i always use teflon paste on pipe thread oil fittings. permatex seems to have some of the best for that. how's the swap coming anyway?

HybridAndy
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Slow. I ordered my motor a while back and was supposed to recieve a blacktop clip. I ended up getting a redtop clip with 156k km (~96k miles) with a massive front oil leak and no computer. I ordered the motor from a friend of a friend at Zfever in FL but it came directly from Osaka in Canada (I didn't know they were the supplier). After a month of fighting, I pulled the redtop shipped it back to Canada for a replacement blacktop. Another month later, they finally shipped me another redtop and no computer (they're reasoning, we don't have any right now so we let them fend for themselves). Zfever sent me an ECU (they're good people down there) and the redtops looks like it's in fairly decent shape so I'm just using it. With the cold weather, working and I started back in school, I just haven't had any motivation. I finally started working on it again the other day and I'm getting closer but it's still far from done. The turbo side's done and the new clutch/flywheel is bolted on. I just need to get the oil pressure sensor finished, put the new belts on the front and reattch the tranny and I'll be ready to put my car in the garage and yank the KA24E. I'll have to stop and pickup some teflon paste and some high temp grease for the clutch linkage this week and I still need to order a set of electric fans at some point. There's a bunch of pics on divizion's site if your interested.

http://divizion.com/240/

klch
01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
you don't need the adapter, use teflon paste instead of tape. the difference between bspt and npt is so small that the soft aluminum makes up the difference.

but i heard if you screw in too much , u'll damage the threads, like when u tighten spark plugs too much

HybridAndy
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
I'd image that's true, but as much for the fact that it's a pipe thread that's tapered than simply being overtorqued.

SoCalS14
02-16-2005, 05:38 PM
the greddy sending units are not npt. they are the same as the factory sending unit.

Just so the forum is aware...I spoke with GReddy and their senders are NPT.

OverZealousNoob
02-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Here's a thread with a link and part numbers to get the adapter for 4 bucks.

To get the light to turn off, you can go behind the cluster and remove the bulb, just follow the circuit and labels.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67654121&Forum =UBB9&Words=mcmaster&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchp age=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=67653912&Search=t rue#Post67654121

cvc9216
02-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Just buy a 1/8" BSPT die and rethread the sensor itself. & the light will stay off.

2Fass240us
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Just buy a 1/8" BSPT die and rethread the sensor itself. & the light will stay off.

Why do this when you can get the aforementioned $3.69 part? That has to be cheaper than a die...

Gonad
03-02-2005, 10:58 PM
This might help you (several pics).

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/article4.php

YucA
03-03-2005, 04:22 AM
just to throw my experience here...

I have an omori electrical oil pressure guage. It comes with a SS oil line that lets you safely route the sender elsewere. All i did was remove the stock OEM sender from the block, and install the SS line and fitting that came with the gauge. It threaded in perfectly, and with the oem sender disconnected, it doesnt leave the cluster oil light on as stated previously...

nismo696969
03-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Who dont you just get a z32 one and hook it up thats what i have it installs into the stock location no problem.

dorimaster
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Anyone know if the Blitz sending units are metric already? instrutctions in japanese!?

Pete

cwdmark
03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
they also make sandwich plates for the oil filter for easy oil temp and pressure sensors http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif