PDA

View Full Version : 240 SECURITY

CheshireKAT
01-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I'll start this off by saying I'm very sorry for killjoy and I hope you get redemption.

With that said, I just bought a red 97 240sx se and as there are thieves in my town as well (buddy's shop just got broken into) I wanted to start a post on the best setups for alarms and security. My younger brother also has a 98 240 in atlanta so for all of us...post your opinion....

Would be awesome if there was some way to have a gps transmitter in the car so if it did get stolen you could track it.... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-Brandon

fsae_alum
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Removing the fuel pump fuse is a VERY cheap and easy method. It was very easy on my Maxima....not so easy on my 240.

A really good, high quality, professionally installed alarm is a good thing.

I would hope that everybody here knows not to use "the club" by now (for fairly obvious reasons).

cosmoworks
01-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I wanted to start a post on the best setups for alarms and security. ...post your opinion....

Here's my opinion:

Clifford G4 or G5 system with ignition cut, start cut, and blackjax enabled. Then use their wireless immobilizer to cut the fuel pump power. Add a detachable steering wheel for the final touch. Probably the easiest setup IMO to use..... everywhere you go just arm and disarm like any other alarm, and in bad spots take the wheel with you.

BUT a theif that wants your car will still get it if determined, and almost no setup will stop a flatbed.

Would be awesome if there was some way to have a gps transmitter in the car so if it did get stolen you could track it.... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

LoJack. Maybe even use it in conjunction with the above mentioned setup.

-Cosmo

carluch
01-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Removing the fuel pump fuse is a VERY cheap and easy method. It was very easy on my Maxima....not so easy on my 240.

A really good, high quality, professionally installed alarm is a good thing.

I would hope that everybody here knows not to use "the club" by now (for fairly obvious reasons).

removing fuses is very easy to get around... taking a fuse from another spot on the car or just a paper clip will work quickly... these days it seems like more people who are taking the cars, know their value, and thus know a thing or two about how they work... taking either the ecu or fuel pump relay may slow a thief up shortly, but a paper clip will do the trick if they know what to look for...

hidden kill switches are the best bet, but the only things that make the car inoperable wont work with a turbo timer...

detachable steering wheel that you take with you may help deter theft...

taking ignitor chip (if sr) helps... or a coil wire (if ka)... as long as the thief isnt that perpared...

powerfcs are great because you can change the settings and take the commander...

the one thing you cant deter even if you prevent the thief from stealing the whole car is vandalism... if a thief is that big of a douche for trying to steal your car, he surely will get pissed when he cant and take it out on your car...

also, wheels, radios, bride seats, gauges, random engine parts, etc are never safe...

CheshireKAT
01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Like I previously mentioned, IMO I would love to find a way to have a GPS Transmitter like the newer cars have. Imagine tracking down the person who took your car....oooooh that could be fun
Other than that I think visible deterents probably work very well too....make it harder on them i.e. detaching steering wheel...

Kill switch too if they get in and can't get the car started they might panic (hopefully) and leave

-Brandon

killjoy
01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
In the end though, a kill switch doesn't do much. Hot wire right to the solenoid and pop start. Totally doable. Still wondering if mine was some kind of inside job or if they started it from under the hood.

Jsquared
01-07-2005, 01:59 PM
A theif with a tow truck doesn't care much about alarm systems http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif (side note, friend of mine lived in NYC most of his life. His car was stolen from a fenced-in well-lit lot, AND he was blocked in by two cars. If a theif wants your stuff that badly, you're screwed).

I've thought about ways to keep my S13 from getting stolen, but even little stuff in the cockpit like gauges and the steering wheel can be removed with basic hand tools (and on my budget, even that stuff is a serious loss http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). I take a couple basic steps to keep theives from driving off with the car, but there isn't really anything I can do (on my budget at least) to stave off a determined theif. Unless I go back to the NCSU campus and kidnap some of the more brutal squirrels and leave them in the glovebox. Those things are nuts.

24zer0
01-07-2005, 02:41 PM
This is something I wana do, its a short range alarm perfect for a driveway situation. Its made of a electonic doorbell, but when this one goes off its time for you to go off.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0957/article.html

HybridAndy
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
A friend of mine told me a story about a local guy who bought a new Corvette (would have been a C4 at the time). He worked at a local shopping mall and for security, parked next to a light post and wrapped a chain around the rear axle and the lightpost everytime he went to work. One day he came out of work and found the car was now chained to a different light post. I guess someone just wanted to prove they could take it if they wanted to.

Barney_240
01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
A friend of mine told me a story about a local guy who bought a new Corvette (would have been a C4 at the time). He worked at a local shopping mall and for security, parked next to a light post and wrapped a chain around the rear axle and the lightpost everytime he went to work. One day he came out of work and found the car was now chained to a different light post. I guess someone just wanted to prove they could take it if they wanted to.

lol ... kind of funny and messed up at the time

well .. most 240 owners have a s-afc installed in there cars ... i use disconnect mine and take it along with me

i'm thinking in getting one of those removeable steering wheels.. but walking to class with a steering wheel is kind if hideous in my opinion ..

maybe a kill switch for the ignition and also the clutch starter switch http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... move that to another location in the car..

Jsquared
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM

They should have turned the car around so it would be facing the other direction in the same parking space, just to drive the point home more http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif (hey, that sounds like a good practical joke)

duncan351
01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Removing the fuel pump fuse and ignition fuses are great. I do the exact same thing. First off, *most* thieves don't know what is wrong with your car when they attempt to start it and it won't crank and they dam sure aren't gonna play mechanic and try to figure it out. They will simply leave the vehicle and find another car to steal. Thieves don't get on their knees and get all in the kick panels and/or hood looking to figure out how to start your car so they can steal it. So doing these simple things will prevent over 90% of thieves to even stealing your car. Thankfully most thieves don't own tow trucks so we are safe from that.

detroadster
01-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Duncan's got it right. All the little stuff like kill switches, a club, alarm, etc., will deter the vast majority of thieves which (in my area at least) are mostly made up of kids with nothing better to do. The professional thief will get your car if they want it.

I tend to like the alarms that kill ignition when on and page you if someone breaks in. Combine that with a hidden battery cutoff switch that kills ALL battery power (except for the alarm) and you're safe from most thieves.

rednerd
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Duncan's got it right. All the little stuff like kill switches, a club, alarm, etc., will deter the vast majority of thieves which (in my area at least) are mostly made up of kids with nothing better to do. The professional thief will get your car if they want it.

I tend to like the alarms that kill ignition when on and page you if someone breaks in. Combine that with a hidden battery cutoff switch that kills ALL battery power (except for the alarm) and you're safe from most thieves.

If you have your battery relocated in the rear of the car, most tracks will bust balls if you don't have a remote kill switch... sounds like a win, win situation. The only problem is keeping the radio from losing it's presets.

Anyone think a "valet" mode be useful? You could get one of the daughter cards that allow you to set the chip select lines, and program multiple tunes. One could be for normal driving, the other would have a 5 mph / 1500 rpm limiter or completely or a limit so / k value so high that the car wouldn't even run...

BTW. I know from living in [censored] areas that tinted windows are bad... they keep the glass from making noise when it shatters and from getting all over the car. Thugs love it. Ohh yah and stickers that advertise your mods... very bad.

duncan351
01-08-2005, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE]
Thugs love it. Ohh yah and stickers that advertise your mods... very bad.

Another excellent point!!!!

A couple other tips. If you don't have a garage then always be mindful of where you park your car. At some the house I rented in the past I always took the time and mounted a 500 watt lamp shinning on the driveway so thieves never even touched my car even while I lived in some not so nice areas. If you live in apartments always park that car under or near light. Its better to park your car out further away from you under light than at your window where its dark. This goes for when you're at the mall, etc...

Rangerbob33
01-08-2005, 12:27 AM
I have a Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5, it is the two way system with the standard shock sensor, but I added a tilt sensor, two extra sirens, and an air-raid siren for the extra annoying sound. The Clifford has starter kill, and remote start built in which works great with the Nissan neutral switch that is built in the 5-sp transmission. Another feature I like is that it has a turbo timer built in along with it being a two way. I have this same setup on my stanza also and I love it.
Lance

RDM_II
01-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Best advice, don't go to car shows, drift events, anywhere that other import owners converge, the more they know your car the more they'll want it. If a bunch of thugs never see your car they'll never know what's in it, and those types are the majority in attendance at any automotive event like that.
And lastly, sleep in your car.

IKu
01-08-2005, 11:01 AM
hell, don't go to enthusiast meets, remember that rx-7 got stolen and the owner met the guy who stole it from the forums or something? glad that guy got caught in the end.

cwdmark
01-08-2005, 11:13 AM
here you go...

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/GPS/gps-tracker.asp

i thought about getting it for mine (even though it's an s13, http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Big_Bronze_Rim
01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
And lastly, sleep in your car.

Hehe, you can sleep in your car, but you cant drive your house(well, most people cant). With all this theivery going on lately its definitiely time to step up the security measures on my car. Damn, I hate theives.

Prok0
01-08-2005, 12:14 PM
If you have an S-AFC couldnt you just go to your low throttle map and go to your lowest setting and make it extremely rich or lean so the car wouldnt start, or would start and die?
That seems like a pretty easy thing to do...

Pepperoni
01-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know anything about asianwolf.com alarms? They seem pretty good and very cheap...but i haven't been able to find many reviews about their alarms.

rednerd
01-08-2005, 07:08 PM
here you go...

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/GPS/gps-tracker.asp

i thought about getting it for mine (even though it's an s13, http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Do a web search for APRS. It's basically a GPS unit hooked up to a ham radio. It broadcasts your cars position, of course anyone can find your car if they know your call sign. But it's a lot cheaper than $450.

trsilvias13
01-08-2005, 07:49 PM
gut your car, no flasy wheels (black steelies ), not lowered, couple of dents here n there would repel some theives

RDM_II
01-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know anything about asianwolf.com alarms? They seem pretty good and very cheap...but i haven't been able to find many reviews about their alarms.

"Pretty good and very cheap" usually don't mix.

cosmoworks
01-09-2005, 02:00 PM
"Pretty good and very cheap" usually don't mix.

Ditto on that one. You'll be wishing you had spent the extra greens for the "pretty good" one after your ride's been jacked.

-Cosmo

RDM_II
01-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I went ahead and czeched that link to get an idea on these asainwolf alarms. With 13 years mobile electronics experience behind me I can safely say that their products are absolute crap. The remotes are ripoffs of various Clifford/Audiovox styles and are huge (plus LCD type remotes eat batteries like crazy), the antennas provided are the stub type that have zero range, relays are additional on some models, and the accessories are all cheesy looking imitation stuff. And the prices reflect very low quality control for that type of equipment with those options.
Clifford, DEI, or Alpine are the only names I would trust.

cwdmark
01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Do a web search for APRS. It's basically a GPS unit hooked up to a ham radio. It broadcasts your cars position, of course anyone can find your car if they know your call sign. But it's a lot cheaper than $450.

i did a search, they are about 299 with a built in gps receiver. i'd much rather spend another hundred and get a real gps tracker with pinging capability

i don't know about anyone else on this forum, but i actually try stuff out before trashing it.

i've got a $110 asianwolf.com security system going in the car in a day or two. i've had it sitting around for about 9 months but haven't got a chance to put it in yet. it's going in very soon and i'll get some facts behind this so-called "absolute crap"

primeral
01-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Wherify Wireless GPS Locator
http://www.wherifywireless.com/corp_home.htm

simply use the Internet or any phone to quickly identify the location of the device within feet, in about a minute

Problem is these devices have a monthly fee ... the ham radio beacon sounds good right about now.

95240sxer
01-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I keep my car boxed in by some other cars I have. but ya, does anyone know what type of alarm will work with an aftermarket turbo timer? Or I guess one with a built in turbo timer wouldnt be bad. The greddy timer I have was only $100..

killjoy
01-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Just wanted to let all know about a pretty cool product for security.

http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/home.htm

This system allows you to pop off your steering wheel just like the others but also makes it so that you cannot pop another steering wheel back on.

"The first innovation is the automatic failsafe locking feature. The STREET uses an automatic locking system that is engaged as soon as the steering wheel is placed on the hub. There is no need to manually lock the wheel onto the hub, nor is a key required to do this. This is very important if the system is going to be used by family members or your significant other, not all of whom may be conscientious enough to painstakingly lock the device each time they get into the car to drive. There is therefore no likelihood of the steering wheel inadvertently or accidentally releasing from the hub while the car is in motion.

The second innovation has to do with the security of the system. Imagine that the system becomes so ubiquitous that most cars are equipped with it. Car thieves could buy the system just as easily as you or I and could theoretically use their own steering wheels to heist cars. To prevent this, we made each STREET unique - the mating pins between the steering and hub are located in a random placement order with virtually millions of different combinations. No two STREET systems are alike and the thief is thwarted if any other STREET system is used in an attempt to steal the car."

Think I will give it a shot.