PDA

View Full Version : What Clutchis is kicking a$$ w/o breaking the bank

Vapor
01-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Spec 3 failed on me today, just as I expected it to. I need a cost effective solution.

SR20, 400ish hp. I drag and road race, and do a lot of street driving. I do not drift. I already have HKS flywheel, if it matters. Prefer a sprung clutch

Without exceeding 600 bucks, what's out there besides Spec, ACT?

KidZelda
01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
I would suggest going with RPS.

I am enjoying thhe Max Street clutch at the moment.

Its waaaaay better then my Spec2 or ACT .. blows them out the water imho.
The MAX street clutch is rated at 475 torque cap' (http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/rpsmaxstclki.html)

The Street MAX Puck is rated at 550 torque cap' (http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/rpsmaxstpucl.html)
Both under $400 from www.phase2motortrend.com (http://www.phase2motortrend.com)

Would suggest picking up the nismo cluth slave if you do not like a stiff pedel feel

Dave562
01-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I'd go with ClutchMasters. I roasted my RPS clutch. I'm not sure if they can get you a clutch for under $600 though. Call them up and see what they have to say.

maico
01-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I have that spec stage3 6 puck sprung hub. I figured it would last under mostly stock power but when I put on new tires in the back (245 45 17) it just can't take any abuse. Spinning in 1st gear then banging 2nd just yields bad clutch slippage. Bang third and the heat generated in 2nd makes 3rd even worse.

I too am looking for a clutch to take the abuse. I checked out Clutch Masters online but don't know what vehicle to put in for the sr engine trans combo.

econobox
01-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm currently running an ACT extreme pressure plate with a 6 puck disc. Seems like its holding up pretty good so far, im pushing about the same HP level as you.

BlackBomber
01-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Spec 3 failed on me today, just as I expected it to. I need a cost effective solution.

SR20, 400ish hp. I drag and road race, and do a lot of street driving. I do not drift. I already have HKS flywheel, if it matters. Prefer a sprung clutch

john, what was the approximate mileage on your clutch? Also, have you done a turbo upgrade lately?

trsilvias13
01-08-2005, 12:48 AM
hks sells clutches. check out phase2

knate
01-08-2005, 03:36 AM
hks sells clutches. check out phase2

I thought this was about clutches that wouldn't break the bank?

turbotypeR
01-08-2005, 07:24 AM
do you guys ever remove the clutch piping and piping connector?i am talking about taking the hard line straight from the master cylinder ,bending it around,and hooking it straight into the slave cylinder,removing the extra blocks with the extra bleeders.i sell spec clutch's and i was having problems with them until i started removing them.i was told they are supposed make the clutch engage smoother.but when you do that and are making power,it gets so hot it won't hold.i had one customer making about 450-500 lb-ft and the stage 3 worked fine after doing that

ItzGenX
01-08-2005, 08:24 AM
I have the RPS Max Street clutch. Haven't roasted it yet, but it is a sprung hub and such. Feels a little like a Z06 stock clutch when pushing on the pedal. If all else fails, try the Max Street Puck. When rated at 550lbs., I think that's more then the tranny can handle. Puck clutches do wear faster on street driving though(due to resistance to slippage).

Kim_Jong_Il
01-08-2005, 08:57 AM
do you guys ever remove the clutch piping and piping connector?i am talking about taking the hard line straight from the master cylinder ,bending it around,and hooking it straight into the slave cylinder,removing the extra blocks with the extra bleeders.i sell spec clutch's and i was having problems with them until i started removing them.i was told they are supposed make the clutch engage smoother.but when you do that and are making power,it gets so hot it won't hold.i had one customer making about 450-500 lb-ft and the stage 3 worked fine after doing that

Yes, the majority of us do that.

killjoy
01-08-2005, 10:24 AM
John, you definately need the Clutchmasters Stage 4 clutch. It is a 4 puck but sprung and the pedal feel is like stock. They do have quick engagement but this clutch lasted till my car got jacked no slippage at all. It is definately under 600 as I bought clutch disc, pressure plate and throuwout bearing for about 450 I believe. Not sure what ft/lb of torque rated at but I think it was 360 or so but theres are actual not overrated like spec.

JRODS_240
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I would go with the "EXEDY stage 2": Sells for about $400 for the complete kit for sr20det. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RDM_II
01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Don't know if they have an SR application, but Vitek makes an excellent clutch. My 4puck sprung unit held up to the most abuse ever for nearly 60k miles (pulled the motor out) and I plan to reuse it in the new car. There's a few DSM guys locally running them with 400+hp and have had no issues, and they're distribution center is right here in Atlanta so they're close by and very cool to deal with.

Colorado_S14
01-08-2005, 11:35 AM
White Bunny SPL. Lots of power little cash.

Vapor
01-08-2005, 11:50 AM

john, what was the approximate mileage on your clutch? Also, have you done a turbo upgrade lately?

Mileage was around 20k give or take. It had no problems until I upped the power. Turbo is now GT2540R .86 a/r + 264 step2 cams, external wg, football, etc etc.

I'd really like to get something exotic, like a carbon clutch, but they are so damn expensive. I don't have that kind of money like I used to.

asad
01-08-2005, 12:48 PM
White Bunny SPL. Lots of power little cash.

SR's already have the same-size friction surface as the White Bunny SPL.

Asad

section8240sx
01-08-2005, 12:57 PM
im glad this was posted...my spec stage 2 just went out after installing my boost controller...how are they exedy stage 2, 3 puck clutches?

wutangben
01-08-2005, 01:17 PM
When you guys are talking about your clutch failing, do you mean the disc is basically done? Like all it does is slip now? I have a Spec 3 clutch that I got with my motor (believe me, it wasn't my choice.) It still holds for me rigth now, but I remember the first time at the track, I did a burn out, then tried to run and the thing just slipped all the way through first and second. How worthless... I also know some people who's spec's blew up inside their trannies, that's not what you guys are talking about right?

How are the exedy clutches?

Ben

Ovrated
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
i have a spec stage 3.. its alot softer than i thought it would be.. but it holds my power right now.. im upgrading to a fullrace mani, and a bigger turbo in about 2 weeks.. so hopefully it holds

_Def_
01-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Why are you guys so set on sprung clutches?

Those springs have nothing to do with engagement harshness. That is purely a function of the conefficient of friction and the clamping force of the pressure plate, and how well your foot can modulate that pressure.

The springs damp out low frequency vibrations(typically around idle and just off idle is the target frequency). Our trans gears aren't really big enough to rattle much, but on larger transmissions you get lots of "gear rattle" at idle from the power strokes making the gears vibrate against each other. The springs help quiet this down. It's purely a NVH addition, does not affect engagement(especially since you're only talking about a few degrees of rotational "slack" there).

hssaini
01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I would go with the "EXEDY stage 2": Sells for about $400 for the complete kit for sr20det. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Everyone suggested EXEDY to me and i went with the CERAMETTALLIC in my case.

I suggest EXEDY as i love my ceramettalic. You are putting down more power, so you may wanna go a step up or two from ceramettalic.

RINKU

vosko
01-08-2005, 04:41 PM
sell your HKS flywheel and go exedy hyper single.......heard great things about it

Refill
01-08-2005, 05:43 PM
I'd go with ClutchMasters. I roasted my RPS clutch. I'm not sure if they can get you a clutch for under $600 though. Call them up and see what they have to say.

What kind of RPS clutch did you have??

Pwerdr
01-09-2005, 04:55 AM
CMON EVERYONE!!!

Give me a break, i want a clutch that can handle 400hp, that won't break the bank, with a sprung hub (assuming you want a clutch that doesn't chatter, so you are saying this).

When you guys find me this, let me know. Also after you find me that, find me a girl that has big boobs, a nice a$$, skinny waist, face of a supermodel, with $$$, and long legs with a sweet personality that will love me forever and only me.

If you are really making 400hp, you obviously have spent a lot of money on your car, so let's not be cheap. All these clutches will not handles this kind of power in the short run. You will have to run a twin disk clutch like Ogura, OS Giken, Tilton, HKS, or Exedy. These are going to be one of the few clutches that can handle that kind of power. If you are lucky, you might be able to get away with the Exedy Hypersingle or a really high clamping load and a metallic disk(recommend the extreme pressure plate from ACT, not the Heavy Duty). This all depends on how much torque the car is actually making.

Realistically you will need a twin disk. I guess you can try all standard type clutches and save money. In the long run, you will probably end up reinstalling another clutch soon. You will save money in the short run. You will eventually realize that you will need a twin disk and end up spending that money anyways. Just install the right clutch the first time, you will save money and time. Time is money so i guess you will be saving a lot of money.

I think the exedy is the best alternative, they are the cheapest and they have a US office. The other japanese clutches are not established in the US and if you need replacement parts, you are srewed and will have to wait for someone to find you the replacement parts. By the way, Exedy offers a dope carbon twin disk that helps with weight reduction in the clutch assembly, it obviously cost more.

And for the good news, if you are making 400hp and you have a clutch that holds the power. You will be needing a transmission soon too. You will be spending money replacing gears or transmissions.

Kim_Jong_Il
01-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Realistically you will need a twin disk.

No, you give us a break. You don't need a twin disk for 400hp, sounds like you got sold on the backwards Japanese way of thinking (they use the stupidest clutch setups ever).

Enthalpy
01-09-2005, 09:02 AM
If you are really making 400hp, you obviously have spent a lot of money on your car, so let's not be cheap. All these clutches will not handles this kind of power in the short run. You will have to run a twin disk clutch like Ogura, OS Giken, Tilton, HKS, or Exedy. These are going to be one of the few clutches that can handle that kind of power. If you are lucky, you might be able to get away with the Exedy Hypersingle or a really high clamping load and a metallic disk(recommend the extreme pressure plate from ACT, not the Heavy Duty). This all depends on how much torque the car is actually making.

Realistically you will need a twin disk. I guess you can try all standard type clutches and save money. In the long run, you will probably end up reinstalling another clutch soon. You will save money in the short run. You will eventually realize that you will need a twin disk and end up spending that money anyways. Just install the right clutch the first time, you will save money and time. Time is money so i guess you will be saving a lot of money.

HAHAHAHHA....

HAHHAHAHAHHA....

this is almost comical.

1) yep...we all know that U.S companies cant POSSIBLY compare to the uber-l337 mad tyte JDM companies http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

2) this car will be making 330 ft-lbs max. so he does not need a twin plate clutch. there are plenty of good single disk regular clutches that can hold 330 ft-lb with no problem. his Spec 3 just isnt one of them. hell my old sped 3 held 420 ft-lbs AT THE WHEELS! but mine was prior to the design change.

3) there is nothign wrong with buying parts that realistcally fit your budget and still achieve your goal. what good does a $1600 twin plate setup do that a $380 RPS cant do?? as long as the clutch holds the tq. it does it's job.

4) go sell crazy elsewhere, we're all stocked up here.

killjoy
01-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Owned!

Vapor
01-09-2005, 11:32 AM
What sort of newbie did you take me for? Have a looksie at my reg date and post count, you're not telling me anything that is either correct or that I didn't know already. Otherwise, please refer to Enthalpy's post for anything else I might have missed. kthnxbye

Kim_Jong_Il
01-09-2005, 12:25 PM
He's probably try to sell you on his Peak Perf. stuff. Another shop owner, maybe looking at pictures in option magazines counts as experience and knowledge with parts... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

_Def_
01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Well since the only real recommendation has been the RPS clutches, have you checked out the ACT Street disk with the Extreme PP? I seem to recall that holding around 400 ft-lbs at the crank. It's comparable in price to the RPS I believe(twenty bucks give or take).

That was going to be my next clutch, since I think the "heavy duty" PP from ACT is still a bit soft, and the 6 puck disk can be a PITA sometimes.

vosko
01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
i recommended the exedy hyper single.....but i have a used ACT pressure plate and a used 8 puck full face sprung hub disk on my car and it has worked flawlessly with 7500rpm clutch kicks and just retarded general abuse http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steeles
01-09-2005, 04:37 PM
as the only other SRs powered cars I've driven have had a Spec 3 (felt no different than my Spec 2) was the Exedy stage two in Sway5000's car (basically stock swap so I dunno how well it'll hold the power) I like the exedy alot. It will most likely be my next clutch when my spec 2 dies or when I pull the motor for a rebuild if I have the cash while im in there http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif anyway thats my .02 cents enjoy

Society_Mike
01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
No, actually, I know where he's coming from, (if he is who I think he is, "Poweredby007". He's not a shop owner and he's not "stuck on backwards japanese thinking". He was saying once you have reached 400 and over then you should think about something that will last. He's RIGHT. He is someone who DRIVES and drives alot, his clutches get alot of abuse. For some of you, you do street driving so those cheaper single clutches work fine. But they don't last more then 6 months to a year if lucky when you start REALLY abusing them, like doing drift or gymkhana. I know because I too have wasted my money and time one those clutches, some from the states, and MANY friends here are in the same boat now. I'm tired of swapping out clutches all the time, I'm tired of worrying about that crap when I go to circuit and have to PARK 'cause my clutch is done. I went with twin plate as well. I'm on my second (my first one was damaged because my pilot bearing was worn). I love it, twins are THE $HIT! Lighter or same as stock pedal feel, YES. Instant engagement, no slipping, pain in the a$$ in traffic jams, but when you shift at full boost, it's like the hand of God came down and slapped you in your a$$. Probably more harsh on your tranny, but as long as everything is in good shape and good oil, it's lasted me a long time. My friend Ranzo has been running his OS Giken twin for over 4yrs now. He was just under the 400hp range most of that time and puts ALOT of abuse on it, more so then 90% of you on this board.
Same goes for PowerdBy007 who I think posted above and myself, along with a few people on this board. Some of us NEED a reliable long lasting clutch that takes the abuse and power and the answer is not in a single disk for US, it's in a twin plate or super single like the Exedy, Nismo, HKS, OS, OCR, etc.
BTW, I don't know anyone who has actually paid $1900 for a twin plate. I picked up mine used for $200 and the 1st one for $300. My friend Chris got his Nismo twin new for $1000. I have never seen them advtertised or sold for over $1200, and that's just the retail cost on the "big name" disks that are made by another company. ie: hks=ocr, cusco=OS Giken, etc.... If you shopped around you should be able to find a good price. Heck, the replacement disks can be ordered, they range from $100~$150 in most cases. That's what I did. So don't be too fast to "laugh" about a twin plate that you guys have NO experience with or NEED for, or or atleast don't THINK you have a need for, that kind of ignorance hinders your ability in your craft. Who knows, you could be one of the millions who bought one and swore never to go back to single crap again.

Refill
01-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Does anybody know the difference in pounds of pressure between the two ACT pressure plates mentioned??

Also what is going to be the difference in driving between a 6 puck and a 3 puck clutch??

Vapor
01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Mike, for me, I may put 5-8k miles on my car a year, with the majority of them being around town miles. Its not my everyday car by a long shot. I need something I can slip (for drag), I don't drift, but I do some hard driving when the occasion calls for it. I would much rather replace a clutch than a trans, even though later this year I will switch to Z32 trans.

I am going to contact Rob at RPS on Monday and see if he can come up with a solution for me. He previously built a bad ass clutch for a Civic project, wonder if he can do it again.

asad
01-09-2005, 06:57 PM
(if he is who I think he is, "Poweredby007")

Pwerdr and Poweredby007 are two different people. Note the location. Poweredby007 has posted recently, so he hasn't changed his screen name.

Asad

asad
01-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Also what is going to be the difference in driving between a 6 puck and a 3 puck clutch??

3-puck will engage quicker, assuming there's less contact area than the 6-puck. Holding power (assuming the pucks have the same material on them) will be the same.

Asad

BlackBomber
01-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Observe the title of the post!! most twin plates will break the bank (atleast temporarily) and John is not abusive to his car.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
01-09-2005, 08:13 PM
yo john.. NH01SD cerametallic from exedy. (dirtyblang white S13 has one ordered and it should be showing up at work sometime this week)

its... "affordable" to say the least!

Kim_Jong_Il
01-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Pwr is not 007, he has acknowledged in another post he is a part of the peak perf. group.

I still say there is no need for a twin plate. I think the majority of the multi-plate clutches are misused and unnecessary. So many shops use big heavy twin and triple plate clutches in cars when equally powerful single plates are available. It's added mass in the drivetrain that isn't needed, and especially in this application. But then again what do we know, apparently people in the US don't drive their cars hard... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

_Def_
01-10-2005, 12:23 AM
The Exedy ceramicmetallic clutch(Stage2 I think) felt good in a car I got a ride in. It's engagement was much smoother than my ACT 6 puck with heavy duty pressure plate, but some of that might be the all-seasons on the stock steelies the guy was still running. I noticed a few chirps from them on take off, so it might have been the craptastic tires making the ride seem smooth more than anything.

It seemed to grab hard on shifts though.

Flybert
01-10-2005, 02:10 AM
So many shops use big heavy twin and triple plate clutches in cars when equally powerful single plates are available. It's added mass in the drivetrain that isn't needed, and especially in this application.

I thought that the twin plates with their flywheels were lighter than normal style clutches with light flywheels.

Pwerdr
01-10-2005, 02:45 AM
The advantage of the 6 puck is that it will have less chatter, since there is more surface area on contact when engaging the clutch. That also means more weight in the clutch and can cause slower shifting vs. the 3 puck. The 3 pucks engages harsher and tends to have more chatter due to less material in contact with flywheel and pressure plate. Meaning the same amount of material must be transferred to 3 pads vs. 6 pads.(assuming material is the same and coefficient of friction is the same) That is why the exedy clutch disk hubs are sprung to help abosorb some of the chatter. The lighter disk also helps with faster shifts, that is why exedy offers a thick and thinner three puck clutch according to your driving needs.

Pwerdr
01-10-2005, 03:08 AM
What sort of newbie did you take me for? Have a looksie at my reg date and post count, you're not telling me anything that is either correct or that I didn't know already.

Vapor, I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but I thought a forum was a place that we can come to share our opinion. I am not saying that I am right and everyone is wrong. I may not have as many posts as you do, but believe it or not I have been in business since 1991 in southern california. There have been some guys that have worked at my shop like Rob Choo - editor at Turbo, Gary Castillo - ex tech editor at Turbo Magazine, Naoto Negishi - who now works for Blast Racing, Ed Eng - ex Editor in Chief @ Import Tuner. Believe it or not, all these guys have worked for me at one point in time.

Just to let you know, we are contracted to build Ben Schwartzs' S14 this upcoming 2005 season that will be part of Falken's drift team. The car is projected to make 450hp, and everyone that is working with us is suggesting a twin disk. We have been offered clutch sponsorships this upcoming year, but other clutch companies that offer a traditional clutch cannot guarantee that their clutches will hold up this upcoming year. So I am not making stuff up to sell you a clutch.

If you happen to have some knowledge that I haven't learned over the 14yrs that i have been in business. I would greatly appreciate you sharing that knowledge with our team. The Falken team will be all over the country this upcoming year, feel free to come and share your thoughts. The car will be a S14 painted silver and gold, with a wide body kit, dry carbon doors, HKS 3037 ball bearing, HKS V pro that will be tuned by me, and a HKS sequential trans. Most likely we will be using a twin disk clutch with only 450hp, unless you can suggest something better for us. I would be happy to hear your suggestions and thoughts to make this car successful.

Society_Mike
01-10-2005, 03:40 AM
So many shops use big heavy twin and triple plate clutches in cars when equally powerful single plates are available. It's added mass in the drivetrain that isn't needed, and especially in this application.

I thought that the twin plates with their flywheels were lighter than normal style clutches with light flywheels.

Yes, they ARE!
Every twin I had/have or have installed in friends cars are LIGHTER then singles with lighteneed flywheels. Now of course you can order heavier ones. It's nice having it so light, they rev so quick.
Yes, I know that SOME of them are expensive, I mentioned it in my post on page 1. I also mentioned they are not for everybody, but they are for those who "need a strong reliable, light, clutch that will takes the abuse and power". Thats what I twin plate or super single delivers.
I didn't say that nobody in the states ever drives hard, what I DID SAY however was that 90% of the people on this board DON'T abuse their cars enough to NEED something very strong. From your posts, it's pretty obvious that you don't have any experience with a twin or multiplate clutch system. If you did you wouldn't be "bashing" it like you are.

silzilla
01-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I am not going to take the time to read the entire post to see if anyone has recommended clutchnet clutches, but That is what I have used on many customer cars with great success. The website is www.clutchnet.com (http://www.clutchnet.com)
I like the 6 puck sprung ceramic disc, and if your spec pressure plate is ok I would just reuse that. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kim_Jong_Il
01-10-2005, 09:21 AM

I guess some of them, I've picked up a few that were absolute bricks. Especially compared to tilton units.

asad
01-10-2005, 10:35 AM

I guess some of them, I've picked up a few that were absolute bricks. Especially compared to tilton units.

Well, it's not just the weight that matters...since twin plates usually use smaller diameter disks, the moment of inertia can be smaller even if the weight is the same or even higher.

Asad

Dave562
01-10-2005, 09:07 PM

What kind of RPS clutch did you have??

It was one of the first SR clutches Steve designed. I'm sure that he probably has his game together now, especially given that he has been building some strong clutches for the Supra guys who are putting down 500+ hp all day long. I just had the misfortune of being a guinea-pig so to speak, because my friend knows Steve, and got me a good price on it.

I went with ClutchMasters based on the recommendation of my mechanic. They put ClutchMaster clutches in everything from twin-turbo Diablo's, to Ferrari's, Porsche's... basically anything that smokes its stock clutch, they replace with a ClutchMasters clutch.

I've only seen one smoked ClutchMasters clutch, and that was because the guy didn't break it in right.

Titan
01-10-2005, 10:33 PM
This is my custom clutch, made by a shop that creates heavy duty truck clutches. 4 Copper ceramic pucks with a sprung hub. All I did was give them my stocker for measurement purposes.

I paid $425 CDN ($350 US) for the disk AND a fresh pressure plate, so the disk is even less.

I love the feel, very streetable and grabs hard when I need it to.

http://members.rogers.com/tainted-crimson/clutch2.jpg

Vapor
01-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Vapor, I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but I thought a forum was a place that we can come to share our opinion. I am not saying that I am right and everyone is wrong. I may not have as many posts as you do, but believe it or not I have been in business since 1991 in southern california. There have been some guys that have worked at my shop like Rob Choo - editor at Turbo, Gary Castillo - ex tech editor at Turbo Magazine, Naoto Negishi - who now works for Blast Racing, Ed Eng - ex Editor in Chief @ Import Tuner. Believe it or not, all these guys have worked for me at one point in time.

Just to let you know, we are contracted to build Ben Schwartzs' S14 this upcoming 2005 season that will be part of Falken's drift team. The car is projected to make 450hp, and everyone that is working with us is suggesting a twin disk. We have been offered clutch sponsorships this upcoming year, but other clutch companies that offer a traditional clutch cannot guarantee that their clutches will hold up this upcoming year. So I am not making stuff up to sell you a clutch.

If you happen to have some knowledge that I haven't learned over the 14yrs that i have been in business. I would greatly appreciate you sharing that knowledge with our team. The Falken team will be all over the country this upcoming year, feel free to come and share your thoughts. The car will be a S14 painted silver and gold, with a wide body kit, dry carbon doors, HKS 3037 ball bearing, HKS V pro that will be tuned by me, and a HKS sequential trans. Most likely we will be using a twin disk clutch with only 450hp, unless you can suggest something better for us. I would be happy to hear your suggestions and thoughts to make this car successful.

So basically you spent the last 5 minutes name dropping and trying to impress me with your resume of experience and parts used on a race car that you were lucky enough to be contracted to prepare - bravo. This did nothing to help me in MY quest for a STREET DRIVEN clutch.

FYI, I've been in this game professionally and otherwise for 10 years +. I could sit here and waste bandwidth telling you all the people I've worked with, cars I've built, people I'm associated with, but that does no good to the point of the post. Let's just say I've been around the block, to the store, and back more than once.

I will say this: I've built, tuned, and raced hondas in excess of 600whp with single plate clutches that held the power, and that were streetable. Its not like they use a larger diameter clutch, at least to the point where it will be any different than a SR. We use comparably sized clutches, there's no reason to expect less.

This post got me thinking: if that's the case, I don't mind a bit of chatter. I can live with that. I can't live with a clutch I can't slip; on a SR application for drag race, clutch feel is a must, because clutch dumping is not an option. It's this sort of shock which kills the already fragile SR trans. While I do plan to upgrade to a Z32 trans, its not in the immediate future, its something I'd like to save for. I've had it with downtime on my car for the time being, 10 months in the shop was enough.

So, to summarize, multiplate clutches are not in the cards, so please do not suggest that. Thank you to all who have given me good input thus far.

Pwerdr
01-11-2005, 12:38 AM
If you have 10+ years experience and "you have been around the block, to the store, and back more than once", why are you asking about clutches? Are you trying to raise your post count?

I am not name dropping, but it is unfortunate on the forums that everyone thinks that post count means knowledge and experience. My post count is less than 50, so I have no choice but to tell you my background. I wouldn't want people to think that I am a 16 year old kid reading import tuner and reciting what I read.

Hey I am not forcing you to buy that clutch. That is only my recommendation and opinion. I don't take it personally if you find another clutch solution. I never claimed that what I said was absolute, is this forum not mature enough to handle differences in opinion? Hey if you decide on a puck clutch with a stiffer pressure plate or a twin plate, at least you have heard differences in opinion. Now that you have heard many opinions, you can now decide what is best for you. Isn't that what you want from this forum?

Don't you think that the members with high post counts be more sensitive to the newbies. Don't we want to encourage growth in this community and esecially forum? There is no need to belittle and intimidate the lower post count members.

Kookz
01-11-2005, 01:20 AM
I never claimed that what I said was absolute

Realistically you will need a twin disk. I guess you can try all standard type clutches and save money. In the long run, you will probably end up reinstalling another clutch soon. You will save money in the short run. You will eventually realize that you will need a twin disk

Now I see where we got confused!

Vapor
01-11-2005, 09:16 AM
CMON EVERYONE!!!

Give me a break, i want a clutch that can handle 400hp, that won't break the bank, with a sprung hub (assuming you want a clutch that doesn't chatter, so you are saying this).

When you guys find me this, let me know. Also after you find me that, find me a girl that has big boobs, a nice a$$, skinny waist, face of a supermodel, with $$$, and long legs with a sweet personality that will love me forever and only me.

If you want to know where things started going wrong, this is it. You can't come on here, make comments which are demeaning to my intelligence level, then expect to get respect in return. It doesn't work like that, pal. I don't care who you are, who you've worked with, for how long, hell, you could have invented the lightbulb, but if you insult my intelligence, I'm going to think you are an idiot yourself. So quit your belly aching, you brought this on yourself. Stop the product pushing, and belittling position, and you'll get a LOT farther on this forum. There is a huge difference between commanding and demanding when it comes to respect, and it appears you have not yet learned the difference.

Pwerdr
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I never claimed that what I said was absolute

Realistically you will need a twin disk. I guess you can try all standard type clutches and save money. In the long run, you will probably end up reinstalling another clutch soon. You will save money in the short run. You will eventually realize that you will need a twin disk

Now I see where we got confused!

You are probably getting confused, cuz you are taking things out of context. He said he was making 400ish, so I am assuming he is making a lot of power, but I guess not. If you read my post in full, I mention that he will probably need a twin disk, cuz he claims he is making a lot of power. I also mention that he can run a hypersingle or ACT depending on his torque.

Why wouldn't he want to get a hypersingle. I know he has a flywheel, but think about it. If you buy a hypersingle, you get the flywheel, aluminum cover and a clutch that is rebuildable for less than $900 stree value. Standard clutch assemblies for big power Nissans run around $400 to $600, so why not buy the Exedy? If he is really making a lot of power, I am assuming he is going to make more. Why not buy a clutch that will handle the power now, is rebuildable, and reasonable priced? I know it is extra money now, but he won't have to buy another clutch again if he decides to get crazy on the power. I was just suggesting that so he doesn't have to buy another clutch in 6 months.

I know my comment about the girl was probably inappropriate. So I can apologize for that, but it is unrealistic to get a clutch that does what everyone wants. You have to give up something. Big power usually means the driveability suffers but can handle big power vs a clutch that doesn't matter may not hold up to heat and abuse. And I am sure you know, the more power you make the more you are going to pay for you the clutch.

So don't tell me I am getting commercial. I am not Exedy, and Peak Performance does not sell Exedy. So please don't use that argument.

MATT_BACK_VASS
01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
CMON EVERYONE!!!

If you want to know where things started going wrong, this is it. You can't come on here, make comments which are demeaning to my intelligence level, then expect to get respect in return. It doesn't work like that, pal. I don't care who you are, who you've worked with, for how long, hell, you could have invented the lightbulb, but if you insult my intelligence, I'm going to think you are an idiot yourself. So quit your belly aching, you brought this on yourself. Stop the product pushing, and belittling position, and you'll get a LOT farther on this forum. There is a huge difference between commanding and demanding when it comes to respect, and it appears you have not yet learned the difference.

John,

Thanks for asking us at Enjuku to give you the proper clutch solution for your car. I'm sure you will be able to give the full impressions of it after you've driven it for a while and taken it to the track.

nissandet240
01-12-2005, 04:54 AM
I agree with you in some point... but Im remplacing a tranny and clutch sooner than I thogh and I dont have any money left
I got a 300dll clutcht(6 pucks kevlar, stock PP and FW) thats not what i had in mind. I wanted to remplate that clutch for good but I can afford it. I dont know if you seen the prices for a Blitz Dual dics for a s15, thats what i had in ming.
As I said in the beggining I gree wiht you.

No, actually, I know where he's coming from, (if he is who I think he is, "Poweredby007". He's not a shop owner and he's not "stuck on backwards japanese thinking". He was saying once you have reached 400 and over then you should think about something that will last. He's RIGHT. He is someone who DRIVES and drives alot, his clutches get alot of abuse. For some of you, you do street driving so those cheaper single clutches work fine. But they don't last more then 6 months to a year if lucky when you start REALLY abusing them, like doing drift or gymkhana. I know because I too have wasted my money and time one those clutches, some from the states, and MANY friends here are in the same boat now. I'm tired of swapping out clutches all the time, I'm tired of worrying about that crap when I go to circuit and have to PARK 'cause my clutch is done. I went with twin plate as well. I'm on my second (my first one was damaged because my pilot bearing was worn). I love it, twins are THE $HIT! Lighter or same as stock pedal feel, YES. Instant engagement, no slipping, pain in the a$$ in traffic jams, but when you shift at full boost, it's like the hand of God came down and slapped you in your a$$. Probably more harsh on your tranny, but as long as everything is in good shape and good oil, it's lasted me a long time. My friend Ranzo has been running his OS Giken twin for over 4yrs now. He was just under the 400hp range most of that time and puts ALOT of abuse on it, more so then 90% of you on this board.
Same goes for PowerdBy007 who I think posted above and myself, along with a few people on this board. Some of us NEED a reliable long lasting clutch that takes the abuse and power and the answer is not in a single disk for US, it's in a twin plate or super single like the Exedy, Nismo, HKS, OS, OCR, etc.
BTW, I don't know anyone who has actually paid $1900 for a twin plate. I picked up mine used for $200 and the 1st one for $300. My friend Chris got his Nismo twin new for $1000. I have never seen them advtertised or sold for over $1200, and that's just the retail cost on the "big name" disks that are made by another company. ie: hks=ocr, cusco=OS Giken, etc.... If you shopped around you should be able to find a good price. Heck, the replacement disks can be ordered, they range from $100~$150 in most cases. That's what I did. So don't be too fast to "laugh" about a twin plate that you guys have NO experience with or NEED for, or or atleast don't THINK you have a need for, that kind of ignorance hinders your ability in your craft. Who knows, you could be one of the millions who bought one and swore never to go back to single crap again.

98sr20ve
01-12-2005, 08:48 AM
This is my custom clutch, made by a shop that creates heavy duty truck clutches. 4 Copper ceramic pucks with a sprung hub. All I did was give them my stocker for measurement purposes.

I paid $425 CDN ($350 US) for the disk AND a fresh pressure plate, so the disk is even less.

I love the feel, very streetable and grabs hard when I need it to.

What PP did you use?