PDA

View Full Version : AIV cleaning on SOHC

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2001, 01:53 AM
Anyone here cleaned the AIV valve on their sohc? I read the 240sx.org faq and it says its the metal unit connected to the resonator box, adjacent to the stock airbox.

So the process is to remove the screws which hold the aiv body together and then take out the reeds to clean? I am not sure if this is worthwhile since the tube running out of the resonator isn't hooked up to my custom intake.

Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2001, 02:21 AM
I recently cleaned mine and noticed the car was a bit more steady.. less shakey and accelleration was a tad smoother. I cant pin-point exactly what it smoothed out, but I do now it helped a bit.

Anwyay, just unbolt it and use a wire-brush wheel to clean up the exhaust gases.

ps: I dont have mine hooked up to my intake, but its pretty important that you clean it anyway.. regardless of where the air comes from, gotta make sure its clean.

- Mike

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2001, 02:25 AM
Thanks. So unbolt the sucker and take it apart right? What do you mean by clean off exhaust gases (deposits?). I was under the impression that you take it apart and clean the reeds.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-24-2001, 10:31 AM
They're not really reeds.. well, I guess they are.. but there is only like 4 of them or so. Just some metal clips with flat peice of metal on top of it. The metal gets plastered with exhaust looking deposits.. so just clean them off with a wire-brush. Simple.

I disassembled the full thing and completely cleaned it out. The Rubber part obviously gets worn, but nothing beyond repair usually.

- Mike