PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Installation

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 02:07 PM
for a week or 2 i have been searching and reading alot of posts about air in the cooling system. I have since bled her profusely but to no avail. i have a spare water pump and thermostat that i will be attempting to install today. Is there any trick to installing them? or is it just straight grunt work. from what i can see i need to take off my fan, remove the belt and just unbolt the old one. is there anything im missing? if my old pump is bad will i be able to easily tell? thanks for all the advice guys.

logan

Dousan_PG
01-13-2005, 02:11 PM
super easy and straight forward. simple tools and just crank the tunes and go at it. nothing tricky at all.

Brad
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah its super easy, just dont slack. get a good RTV seal on it and everything.

if youve got small hands and wrenches you may be able to take it off with the fan still on. sort of a biotch but saves time

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 02:34 PM
i just want to make sure that this is going to fix it all guys.

the deal is this, after i drive the upper rad hose is HOT. the lower is ice cold. the rad cap is cold. my thoughts are that the pump is not moving the water so the water in the upper is boiling and going back into my reserve tank. am i just completely off?

PR_S14
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I believe that is your thermostat not opening. Perhaps you should start by replacing that. Then if that does not fix your problem replace the pump.

Dousan_PG
01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
why waste time
do them both same time, you already would have everything off and out of the way
knock them both out doesnt matter if one is bad, at least both are new now
id replace the hoses too if necessary, one time to bleed it all and fret over it. cooling is very important

RDM_II
01-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Just make sure the thermostat in new, and OE. Used units are just as risky as the one you have now, and most aftermarkets are different sized openings, or have a different design on the spring and don't work as well.

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Just make sure the thermostat in new, and OE. Used units are just as risky as the one you have now, and most aftermarkets are different sized openings, or have a different design on the spring and don't work as well.

new oe http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cosmoworks
01-13-2005, 03:54 PM
why waste time
do them both same time, you already would have everything off and out of the way
knock them both out doesnt matter if one is bad, at least both are new now
id replace the hoses too if necessary, one time to bleed it all and fret over it. cooling is very important

EXACTLY!

A tip: If you're having trouble breaking the existing RTV seal off the water pump, take a wooden dowl or something similar and place one end against the pump and hit the other end with a BFH from the top (make SURE you have all the bolts removed first, of course http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

-Cosmo

RDM_II
01-13-2005, 04:00 PM
(make SURE you have all the bolts removed first, of course http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

-Cosmo

Experience talking?

cosmoworks
01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Experience talking?

LOL, not me. A friend of mine pounded the crap out of his on his Z and accidently left one bolt in. Funny thing is, he didn't realize it and kept beating on it until the head busted off, at which point he discovered... "oops".

-Cosmo

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 04:58 PM
ya know with every passing mod i do to this car, everytime i work on her, i am amazed at how easy they are to DIY. i just replaced my water pump in a matter of minutes. i am simply astonished. how do u know if ur water pump was bad? cause i dont really see any signs of it being bad.

RDM_II
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Generally there's leakage at the weep hole, or you can hear the bearings groan.

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
just one small problem. the water pump i installed does not have the bolts installed to hold on the pully and fan... just go to home depot?

Dousan_PG
01-13-2005, 07:01 PM
didnt buy oem? tsk tsk

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
site said it was oem replacement. its ok i took care of it.

/me crosses fingers and hopes that he is done for the day.

Flybert
01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
OEM doesn't come with the studs and Nissan is out of them. I just pulled them out of my old water pumps. Half of them stripped as I pulled them out for some reason.

Dousan_PG
01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
odd. mine did w/ the KA new pump and the SR one.

PR_S14
01-13-2005, 09:44 PM
When your all done I suggest you keep your water pump. Replacing it all in one shot is great, but you wouldn't want to toss a perfectly good water pump.

_ronin_
01-13-2005, 09:46 PM
yeah i kept it. im a pack rat anyway. im gonna clean her up and stare at it constantly.

PR_S14
01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
So is your problem fixed then?

cosmoworks
01-14-2005, 12:26 AM
odd. mine did w/ the KA new pump and the SR one.

Ditto, my KA OE pump came with the studs as well.

-Cosmo

kane2g
01-14-2005, 01:08 AM
4x M6 bolt 25mm long @ 33cents each.
Found at any decent hardware store :P

Flybert
01-14-2005, 01:58 AM
I got my SR nissan water pump throug phase2 without studs so maybe they were taken out of the box or something.

nissandet240
01-14-2005, 02:58 AM
When I remplace the water pump of my old KA, the unit i got at Auto Zone came wiht the tiny studs and some nuts too. but that was like 5 years ago.are is this is how they making economy...grow..?? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

phase2
01-14-2005, 05:19 AM
I got my SR nissan water pump throug phase2 without studs so maybe they were taken out of the box or something.

For some odd reasons Nissan doesn't give new studs with S13 SR water pumps but they do for S14/S15 SR water pumps. At any rate, you might have purchased the pump from us quite some time ago because since couple months ago we complete the water pump kit with new Nissan studs free of charge.