PDA

View Full Version : SR oil pressure problem

pearlS13
01-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, im having an oil presure problem on my blacktop sr. On cold start up, say if its been sitting all night my oil light will stay on for about 5-10 seconds and then go off. This problem was bugging me because i know the light should not come on at all after the engine is running but now whats happening is that the light will turn off after start up but then will come on again and stay on sometimes so i have to turn the car off right away. I just put 5W30 synthetic in it yesterday and i ran it for about 45 minutes with no problems with oil pressure, then this morning i start it up and im having this problem.
I have not yet driven the car since i put the motor in so when i say i ran the motor i mean just letting it idle.
The oil pan does have a small dent in it but it doesnt look bad enough to cause an oil pressure problem.
Do the oil pans on sr's have to be PERFECT for the oil pump to properly get oil? Im guessing this may be the problem so im going to bang out the dent and see what happens.

orion
01-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Do the oil pans on sr's have to be PERFECT for the oil pump to properly get oil?

From what I've read, YES...

I wouldn't take the chance...pull it off, bang it flat. The pickup is VERY close to the pan.

- Brian

YucA
01-26-2005, 02:40 PM
like orion said, the pickup is REALLY close to the pan. If you have some dents in it, i would definetely pull it out, bang out the dents, and check the condition of the pickup. I did this to my SR. Everything was ok, but i was surprised to how close the pickup really was...

Jsquared
01-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm going to echo the above sentiment. Heck, I've known guys to tak a whack or two at a good pan just to make sure. Also try going with a slightly thicker oil like a 10W-40 or something.

pearlS13
01-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey guys, i pulled the oil pan off to bang the dent out and now i realize really how close the pickup is. There is a dome shaped piece around the mesh with a hole in the bottom of it, this piece was touching the bottom of my pan because i saw the outline of it on the bottom of the pan. My question is should this piece be touching the pan? Im asking because the dent i have is to the side of the pickup but the pickup is still touching the pan.

BostonS15
01-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, that dome piece you ar etalking about is the oil pickup, so it SHOULD NOT be touching anything. Make sure you bang out that oil pan and some more.

I would also second using 10W40 weight oil. I think you found your problem.

Good luck.

pearlS13
01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i fixed my oil problem. I banged out the dent in the oil pan and now i've got instant oil pressure upon start up.
once again thanks for the input.

DeatschWerks_Dave
01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
You should have modified the pick up while you had it apart.

Big_Bronze_Rim
01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
You should have modified the pick up while you had it apart.

And hope that you havent already caused bearing damage due to oil starvation.

pearlS13
01-31-2005, 08:55 PM
well im guessing i havent caused damage because like i said i didnt drive the car with the light on and i turned the motor off with seconds of the light staying on so im hoping nothing has been damaged.