PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here...

**DONOTDELETE**
12-27-2001, 08:02 PM
OK heres the deal my friend is saying that when you put in some lower compression pistons that you increase the displacement, and I'm am saying that it doesnt.
So whos right here guys???
Let me know

-Alex

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-27-2001, 08:10 PM
yep your right, i got burned by asad on this one, lower compression is just that- lower compression. Displacement is the amount of volume that the pistons can displace totally ( i.e : the pistons' total motion from TDC to BDC is 3" and it's diameter is 3" so its volume is 3.14x1.5 sqared x 3" x 4 cylinders. thats it. if you get a shorter piston, it is still sweeping than much volume, just a little lower than before. (the total travel of the piston is still the same though)

The only way to increase displacement (the volume displaced totally) is by getting a stroker crank.

Bet your friend some money on this. its cool cause your right! (i got a free lunch for that one!!) http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

tom1192
12-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Lowering compression does exactly that and has nothing to do with displacement. The only way to increase displacement is to increase the bore size to something larger than stock. Increasing bore size will physically increade the volume of the cylinders hence increasing displacement.

*edit* Damn, beaten by one minute. Lousy slow fingers.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: tom1192 ]

12-27-2001, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Escaflowne:
The only way to increase displacement (the volume displaced totally) is by getting a stroker crank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom1192:
The only way to increase displacement is to increase the bore size to something larger than stock.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang, let's get some agreement, here: The only ways to increase displacement are to increase the stroke and/or bore. Or add cylinders.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-27-2001, 08:21 PM
Haha cool man, thanx for the info
And I did bet him $20 but now hes mad and doesnt wanna pay up=)
Oh ya BTW How's Paul's CA18??
And sorry I couldnt make it to the meet, I probably missed out on a lot of fun huh.
Oh well maybe next year.
See ya