PDA

View Full Version : Earthlink Reliable?

Lord_Vader
01-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I was all set to sign up with Earthlink for my DSL and VoIP. The only problem is that they have been "upgrading" their systems for 2 days now. I am starting to have doubts about any company that "upgrades" their systems for 2 days. Everytime I call they say "a few more hours". I see it two ways. Either they really are "upgrading" and have a lousy production system, or they are hard down and have a lousy production system. I have never seen a business customer that would tolerate either one. Makes me wonder.

My question to present or former Earthlink customers is "Are they reliable?".

Thanks,
Vader

96_ss
01-28-2005, 11:18 PM
I had earthlink in the past for dial-up, never had any problems. Now that I am on the cable, I will "never" go to anything else.

Let us know how you like the VOIP when it gets up and running.

Dave562
01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
My dad went out and got himself Earthlink DSL a couple of years ago. He hasn't had any problems with it yet. Earthlink recently ran a T1 for one of my clients and the install was a breeze. The circuit was perfectly provisioned and all I had to do was plug in the preconfigured Netopia that they sent out to the site. I have an Earthlink dial-up account on my laptop that I have been using for years all over the US. I've never had a problem getting connected.

Magellan
01-30-2005, 04:48 AM
I had Earthlink dial-up a few years ago and had some problems. The software kept accessing my hard drive every five seconds or so (quite annoying). They promised me the next “upgrade” would solve the problem. After about three upgrades I gave up and went to another USP. After erasing the Earthlink software the problem went away.

Enceladus
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't want the internet service from them. how much to just get the shiny thing orbiting my head?

Lord_Vader
01-31-2005, 12:57 PM
how much to just get the shiny thing orbiting my head?

"It's just a marketing thing." http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave562
01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I had Earthlink dial-up a few years ago and had some problems. The software kept accessing my hard drive every five seconds or so (quite annoying).

I've never used Earthlink's dial-up software. I just manually configure a Dial-up Networking connection. It works great.

mrflip69
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
I had Earthlink dial-up a few years ago and had some problems. The software kept accessing my hard drive every five seconds or so (quite annoying).

I've never used Earthlink's dial-up software. I just manually configure a Dial-up Networking connection. It works great.

Ditto. Software is usually crap. I don't really care for ad/popup blockers and "web accelerators"... waste of CPU and Memory resources. I found that connecting manually, I was less likely to get booted by the ISP as well.

I never personally had a problem with Earthlink dialup . I would however, persuade you to get cable if you can. For me, it's a better deal in terms of speed and price. I've found Cable to be more stable than DSL, but those are just my experiences.

Lord_Vader
04-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Well. I finally got everything straight. I got Comcast cable and CallVantage from AT&T. Seems pretty cool. I like the extra features. One word of advice, don't go with the cheap equipment. I started with the D-Link TA and it never did work. I got the Linksys and it all started up in a few minutes. Oh well, live and learn.

Lord_Vader
05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi. I'm Lord Vader and I have been Verizon free for a few hours now. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif I finally got around to switching the alarm system over to the VoIP and disconnected Verizon. Can you hear me now? No, maybe you should lower your prices and get better customer service agents. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif Man CallVantage is great.

Enceladus
05-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Well. I finally got everything straight. I got Comcast cable and CallVantage from AT&T. Seems pretty cool. I like the extra features. One word of advice, don't go with the cheap equipment. I started with the D-Link TA and it never did work. I got the Linksys and it all started up in a few minutes. Oh well, live and learn.

I went from a linksys router to a d-link wireless router and have had no problems, plus I think the software is much more intuitive to set up all the settings.

Lord_Vader
05-14-2005, 07:25 AM
The D-link router might be OK. I am talking about the regular TA.

ManoNegra
05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Service varies more by area then the carrier itself.
Comcast cable works fine for me.
We tried having two modems before, one with a wireless router, and nothing would work.
We ended up with just one and paying $10 to upgrade from 3mbps to 6mbps.

www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) is a good resource to get user feedback of companies in your area.