PDA

View Full Version : Could a stock SR motor handle this amount of power?????

SR20DET
12-28-2001, 01:36 AM
Alright guys, I need some advice. When I finally put my SR in within the next few months its going to be pushing somewhere around 400hp. The only internal upgrades I plan on doing as of right now are Toda valve springs and Tomei rocker arm stoppers. Could the SR handle this amount of power or should I go the safe route and get some pistons, rockerarms and cams? Thanks

mike2016
12-28-2001, 04:17 AM
valve springs and rocker arm stoppers are just valvetrain upgrades. they will not stop you from breaking the motor, it might prevent you breaking the valves from over reving the motor.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-28-2001, 07:50 AM
get the block re-sleeved. Forged pistons, good rings, upgrade rods. metal head gasket, do not lower compression too much. get Jun lash-killer kit, or find an RNN14 head and remove goodies. Adjustable cam gears, rocker arm stoppers and Apexi cams (per SRfiveten, Run custom stainless manny with T51R, Greddy surge tank, 700cc injectors, Twin plate clutch, yadda yadda.. have engine dyno'd extensively on custom engine managment (like autronic or motec) drop into A REALLY clean S13 and have some fun (good for 500+HP)

If you are serious, consult with mcKinney motorsports ( sick 510) or BYP (drag B14)

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

12-28-2001, 09:39 AM
400 crank hp or 400 whp?

A internally-stock SR should be good for 400 whp, but you're running on the edge there.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SR20DET:
Alright guys, I need some advice. When I finally put my SR in within the next few months its going to be pushing somewhere around 400hp. The only internal upgrades I plan on doing as of right now are Toda valve springs and Tomei rocker arm stoppers. Could the SR handle this amount of power or should I go the safe route and get some pistons, rockerarms and cams? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beef
12-28-2001, 01:20 PM
First of all, what makes you think you'll be pushing this amount of power? What are you doing? At what PSI?

Bottom line...Get pistons, rods, and probably get some block work done. ...or else you'll end up getting them in the long run. (or short run!)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-28-2001, 03:12 PM
No need to resleeve the SR20 to handle a "paltry" 400hp. It's a good measure, but not totally necessary. In fact, forged internals aren't really needed either.
One thing to keep in mind when you have a certain hp motor is that it's not like you're gonna be spending 100% of your time at that hp level. And as long as you are a sane driver, you won't have too much to worry about...

Demon

SR20DET
12-28-2001, 09:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beef:
First of all, what makes you think you'll be pushing this amount of power? What are you doing? At what PSI?

Bottom line...Get pistons, rods, and probably get some block work done. ...or else you'll end up getting them in the long run. (or short run!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found a good deal on a T78 just deciding if I want it or not. Im about to buy a speedpro management system and already have all the other essentials, such as fuel upgrades, etc. My whole problem is I'm getting too impatient and want my motor in, but I probably will upgrade the pistons and rods.

mike2016
12-28-2001, 10:42 PM
if your final HP goal is 400hp, T78 is way too large for a 2 liter motor, and it makes daily driving no fun at all. http://www.freshalloy.com/

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-28-2001, 11:24 PM
true demon, but better safe than sorry, besides, its cool to say "yeah, i resleeved my block- BOYEEE"

haha! 400hp- for some, thats what they live at daily, for me, 300 is just fine!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 04:03 AM
Sometime being too safe ends up being sorry when the sleeve was all honed out of spec to the wrong tolerance.

Daily driver is all about reliablity, resleeve is strong, and can take couple passes at the drag strip at monstrous horsepower. At the wrong tolerance, you will need to rebuild the block again.

For a drag car, yeah that's reasonable. For street car..find a GOOD and RELIABLE machine shop to do the work is the key.

Sometime the old saying if it's not broken, dont' fix it. But different strokes for all..

Tx.

Wayne http://www.phase2motortrend.com

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-29-2001, 08:06 AM
good point tristarx, if it aint broke dont fix it. I wish i knew how much they resleeve the block (mm cyl dia) i would have the block and head hot tanked, and install the RNN14 solid lifters, RNN14 rocker arms and adjustable cam gears. new valve guides and stock RNN14 valves. Basically make it a pulsar head with the good parts of the RWD s13 SR20det (like the stock coil plug ignition (which is apparently good to 600+ power)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 01:03 PM
I am curious about that head setup. If that's the setup you are going with in the future, don't forget to take some pictures. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Tx.

Wayne http://www.phase2motortrend.com

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 09:57 PM
T78 is huge for a street car, even for a RB26 is it too big.
There are alot of turbos out now, that support 400 horse at the flywheel with the stock motor. Tomei, Trust, Power Enterprise, etc. all have T25 based high flowed turbos available. There has been an onset of these turbos lately. A manifold, fuel, and the turbo is basically all your need.

NOSTALGIC_HERO
12-29-2001, 10:48 PM
agreed, for what you need (400hp) i would consider the Greddy T518Z 10cm turbo. Uses the mitsubishi TD06 compressor housing (same one as the forced performance green turbo- has an eclipse running 10's on it) the wheels of course are different, but the turbo can flow. Carboy mag did a feature on it and dynoed 364hp on the turbo with cams, gears and stainless equal manifold. Best part is that i bolts on to stock exhaust if need be! Ask Yury, he has one! (the 8cm one i believe)