PDA

View Full Version : Tube and fin FMIC kits

Doriftomodachi
01-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I searched and didn't find any direct comparison between the hks type s, greddy rspl and blitz lm for the specific information that I am looking for. I have the hks ssqv factory bov replacement kit for the jdm s14 and I want to retain the factory location and prefer not to weld the bov on the piping.

Any input or comments are welcome. I was considering a greddy vspl but I don't want to be limited to 400hp, just in case.

So now I'm looking at either the greddy rspl, hks type s or blitz lm. Please post your installation experiences (clarity of instructions, fitment issues, completeness of kit, etc.) and satisfaction/dissatisfaction with each intercooler's performance (pressure drop, etc).

I like the rspl because it has a connector for the factory bov which will fit my hks ssqv factory replacement kit w/o any welding done to the piping. It doesn't comw with a battery relocation kit, though.

I know the blitz doesn't have the fitting. I looked at several blitz lm s14 fmic kits and they don't have the factory fitting. I know they sell their bov kit and hotpipe in one package (which I don't need since I already have the hks unit) However, it comes with a battery relocation kit, which is nice.

I don't know too much about the hks type s kit. I do know that it comes with steel piping (aluminum piping is $200 extra) and it doesn't come with a battery relocation kit either.

Seems like the greddy rspl is the best kit for me unless i missed anything. any input will be appreciated.

BlackBomber
01-30-2005, 05:58 PM
here is a pretty good write-up courtesy of Phase2.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/whicafinisda.html

DeatschWerks_Dave
01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, what does the "LM" in "Blitz LM" stand for? Phase2 says LeMans, but my Blitz LM IC said "Last Modified" on it so I figured that is waht it was.

anyone know for sure?

HispanicPanic
01-31-2005, 07:33 PM
i heard that the blitz fmic kit has the least pressure drop among all the other fmic kits available for the s14. I've also heard SPearco core intercoolers have a higher efficiency over other intercoolers because of their smaller (but more numerous) fins.

harryhood
02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
I have a 30?x8x3 spearco right now and haven't had any problems (stock turbo) but I've heard they have a huge (1.5-2.5 psi) pressure drop due to the bar and plate design I guess. My boost gauge reads just past .9 bar so probably 13 to 13.5 psi but on the dyno they read about 12 with the wideband. Is this due to the pressure drop or could one measurement just be off? Eventually I plan on upgrading turbos and am leaning towards switching to a vspl.

asad
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
I've heard they have a huge (1.5-2.5 psi) pressure drop due to the bar and plate design I guess.

Given otherwise equal cores (fin count/density, and charge air flow area, etc) and end-tank designs, a bar-and-plate core will have a lower pressure drop than a tube-and-fin core due to tube-and-fin core endplates where the tube sticks through a header plate and is brazed in place. The tube protrusion hampers flow slightly.

My boost gauge reads just past .9 bar so probably 13 to 13.5 psi but on the dyno they read about 12 with the wideband. Is this due to the pressure drop or could one measurement just be off?

Too many variables. Where are these two numbers being measured? Is one measured at the compressor outlet, and one measured at the manifold? What sort of gauge are you using? What sort of gauge does your dyno shop use?

Asad

harryhood
02-01-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm measuring from a Greddy Electronic boost gauge getting a signal from the fpr. All I know about the wide band is that it's a Motec wideband on a Mustang md250 dyno. They just T in the wideband hose in with an exsisting hose by the tb, I don't remember which one but now that I think about it its probably the fpr which would mean one gauge is off, and I would bet its mine.

Jsquared
02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
The wideband O2 sensor isn't what reads the boost level. The throttlebody ports will read the same as the FPR Tee, as the FPR gets its signal from one of those ports.

At P1 my autometer Z-series mechanical read within 0.5psi of what their thing read.

harryhood
02-04-2005, 01:31 PM
yeah I was at p1 too, so I guess it's just my gauge. hehe found a reason to turn up boost.