PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti Announces 2006 M Advertising Numbers

dfw_danny
01-31-2005, 12:01 PM
1/30/05
Nissan Spends Big to Market New M
Automotive News

Infiniti Division plans to spend about $65 million on the marketing launch of its redesigned M-series luxury sedan.

That figure represents more than one-third of what the luxury division of Nissan North America Inc. spent on all U.S. advertising in 2003, the last full year for which data are available, according to Competitive Media Reporting.

The car is scheduled to go on sale in late February. It will have a base price of $40,510, including destination charges. Infiniti wants to sell 20,000 units annually of the redesigned sedan. U.S. Infiniti sales rose by 10.4 percent last year over 2003, to 130,986. But sales of the entry-level G35 sedan and of trucks accounted for the bulk of that increase. In 2004 Infiniti's M45 luxury sedan had sales of 2,090, and its Q45 luxury sedan had sales of 1,972 units. Both sell for more than $40,000. "Conquesting will be our major task," says Jan Thompson, Nissan's vice president of marketing. She says the target audience of the M series is men in their 40s with annual household incomes of $150,000 to $175,000. Infiniti will give consumers five versions of the M. It plans to stress the sedan's performance and advanced technology in its marketing.

D_Nyholm
01-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Not sure if that is good or bad. I liked it at first when the G coupe was only going to be 12,000/year initially. Then they bumped that up to whatever everyone could sell (over 20,000 units/year). I like a little exclusivity, but I can't afford total exclusivity (ferrari, lambo, porsche). Oh well, I guess I might be one of the 20 year olds in a 40 year olds car!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif I really don't fit those demographics!!

russg
01-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Somewhere there is a huge casting call for rocks, trees, and babbling brooks.

M_TYPE_X
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Somewhere there is a huge casting call for rocks, trees, and babbling brooks.

So serene, so peaceful ... less demographics, more babbling brooks ...... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif

Q2M_from_LS430
01-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Not sure if that is good or bad. I liked it at first when the G coupe was only going to be 12,000/year initially. Then they bumped that up to whatever everyone could sell (over 20,000 units/year). I like a little exclusivity, but I can't afford total exclusivity (ferrari, lambo, porsche). Oh well, I guess I might be one of the 20 year olds in a 40 year olds car!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif I really don't fit those demographics!!

I'm really happy to hear about the advertising. If Infiniti can really get the word out, and establish its brand, this can help get these cars the prestige they truly deserve. As an owner of a 2003 Q45, I find it frustrating (but not surprising) that the car is somewhat lacking in prestige. When Motor Trend did their comparison of this Q45 with the LS430, the Q won hands down. Yet it seems the only people who know it are the few of us who read this forum.

Infiniti makes great cars with really satisfying features, and I want this brand to be properly perceived as the best money can buy, so when I buy my next one, I can get the features I want ALONG with that prestige. The new campaign should help.

Pete

SukairainKupe
01-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Am I missing something? That's A LOT of money to be spending on something that might not yield positive return.

65million / 20,000 cars = $3250 per car.

Wouldn't it be a better advertisement plot to lower the MSRP by $1500 a car and then do a 32million advertisement compaign? I think lower MSRP vs competitor is what gave G35 a huge leap over competitors almost 3 years ago.

Incendiary
01-31-2005, 07:36 PM

I'm really happy to hear about the advertising. If Infiniti can really get the word out, and establish its brand, this can help get these cars the prestige they truly deserve. As an owner of a 2003 Q45, I find it frustrating (but not surprising) that the car is somewhat lacking in prestige. When Motor Trend did their comparison of this Q45 with the LS430, the Q won hands down. Yet it seems the only people who know it are the few of us who read this forum.

Infiniti makes great cars with really satisfying features, and I want this brand to be properly perceived as the best money can buy, so when I buy my next one, I can get the features I want ALONG with that prestige. The new campaign should help.

Pete

Yes, but with more prestige will come higher prices. So just be sure that you're going to be willing to fork out the extra dough...

Incendiary
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Am I missing something? That's A LOT of money to be spending on something that might not yield positive return.

Wouldn't it be a better advertisement plot to lower the MSRP by $1500 a car and then do a 32million advertisement compaign? I think lower MSRP vs competitor is what gave G35 a huge leap over competitors almost 3 years ago.

The M is still going to be cheaper than the competition, as long as it's not optioned too much. With all options, prices will rise above both Acura and Lexus, from the preliminary Lexus pricing that's been released.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Infiniti finally starting to market its cars properly. Part of it is they finally have cars worthy of marketing, but some of their past cars, like the 1st gen Q, for instance, definitely got off to a terrible start in terms of advertising...

M_TYPE_X
01-31-2005, 08:03 PM

Never question marketing! It's hard to find markets. And it's even harder to get the budget for it .... now go get the pizza and bring it back here before engineering all suffocates in the closet. Dang, where did we put the keys? Maybe we can keep them in there for the next budget cycle too................. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q2M_from_LS430
01-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Not sure if that is good or bad. I liked it at first when the G coupe was only going to be 12,000/year initially. Then they bumped that up to whatever everyone could sell (over 20,000 units/year). I like a little exclusivity, but I can't afford total exclusivity (Ferrari, lambo, porsche). Oh well, I guess I might be one of the 20 year olds in a 40 year olds car!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif I really don't fit those demographics!!

Pete

Yes, but with more prestige will come higher prices. So just be sure that you're going to be willing to fork out the extra dough...

A couple of points in response to that:

1) If the car and the brand are really successful, that may not really hurt prices too badly because the R&D and all other fixed costs get amortized over a much larger number of cars. It could really help Nissan do what they're doing but even better.

2) I know many will be annoyed by this (and disagree with it), but no offense intended, honestly. I love infiniti for every reason BUT their lower prices. I would happily pay a great deal more to get every thing infiniti has to offer AND get the prestige as well.

The Mercedes, BMW, and lexus all have the prestige, but for a variety of reasons (other than price) I vastly prefer infiniti. When I buy a car it seems as though I'm choosing between (a) the car I really want (despite the lack of prestige) and (b) the car I DON'T want (but WITH the prestige that I DO want.). Does that make any sense?

If I could get a new M45 and it had more prestige than an E500 I'd be happy as a pig in sh_t, even if I had to pay the price of an E500.

Does anybody else relate to this apparently strange point of view?

Pete

russg
01-31-2005, 11:11 PM
If I could get a new M45 and it had more prestige than an E500 I'd be happy as a pig in sh_t, even if I had to pay the price of an E500.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the "prestige" factor. That's nothing more than what the other guy thinks, something I've never been all that consumed with. What concerns me about the possible runaway success of the new M cars, is that it may likely put an end to bending a dealer over the table and buying very fine automobiles at ridiculously low, heavily discounted prices. Actually, bending over the table is not really a very fair representation of the process. I've found Infiniti dealers to be most willing and accommodating in moving their higher end merchandise at fire sale prices, especially toward the end of model year.

This is a sport I have enjoyed for the last ten years with Q45s and most recently an M45. I shudder to think that I may now have to walk into an Infiniti dealer and play by the same rules I might otherwise have to observe in a Lexus or BMW dealer. Scary thought.

Others will be overjoyed with an inevitable bump in resale performance (as if it could possibly get any worse). Not a big thrill for me. My modus operandi for the past ten years has been to lease, where resale value is of little concern. Take a car that MSRP's in the low 50's, cap it (purchase price) in the upper 30's, put nothing down, and use Infiniti's heavily subsidized lease money. Great cars on the cheap, and always under warranty. Say it ain't over!

Q2M_from_LS430
01-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Personally, I couldn't care less about the "prestige" factor. That's nothing more than what the other guy thinks, something I've never been all that consumed with. What concerns me about the possible runaway success of the new M cars, is that it may likely put an end to bending a dealer over the table and buying very fine automobiles at ridiculously low, heavily discounted prices. Actually, bending over the table is not really a very fair representation of the process. I've found Infiniti dealers to be most willing and accommodating in moving their higher end merchandise at fire sale prices, especially toward the end of model year.

This is a sport I have enjoyed for the last ten years with Q45s and most recently an M45. I shudder to think that I may now have to walk into an Infiniti dealer and play by the same rules I might otherwise have to observe in a Lexus or BMW dealer. Scary thought.

Others will be overjoyed with an inevitable bump in resale performance (as if it could possibly get any worse). Not a big thrill for me. My modus operandi for the past ten years has been to lease, where resale value is of little concern. Take a car that MSRP's in the low 50's, cap it (purchase price) in the upper 30's, put nothing down, and use Infiniti's heavily subsidized lease money. Great cars on the cheap, and always under warranty. Say it ain't over!

Your lack of desire for prestige in your car is no doubt a very healthy attitude. I've got no problem with that and accept it on face value.

In terms of the cost benefit: As a guy who leases rather than buys, you might save some money leasing a car which better held its value. Poor resale value has a direct effect on the cost of leasing, given that a dealer has to calculate his probable resale value in to the leasing fees.

Pete

russg
02-01-2005, 12:46 AM
In terms of the cost benefit: As a guy who leases rather than buys, you might save some money leasing a car which better held its value. Poor resale value has a direct effect on the cost of leasing, given that a dealer has to calculate his probable resale value in to the leasing fees.

Technically, in a perfect world, you would be absolutely correct. But it is not the dealer who establishes the residual value for a leased car, it is the leasing company (manufacturer or bank). And those entities are subject to very high competitive market pressures. If you lowball the residual factor too low on a particular car, the dealer will just do the lease with another entity.

It is true that cars with known strength in resale values will typically carry a relatively high residual factor, resulting in a relatively lower depreciation component of the monthly payment. But historically, cars with abysmal resale histories, such as the higher end Infinitis, have not usually carried abysmally low residual factors, especially if the lease is done through the financing arm of the manufacturer (IFS as an example). A number of banks have lost big bucks in their leasing departments by overestimating residual values.

So, while a Q45 or M45 may not carry quite the residual factor of say a 540i, the outrageous reduction in cap cost that can be negotiated on a Q45 compared to the 540i more than makes up for any lower residual value. At least that has been my experience. Remember, residual value is based on MSRP, not on the actual cap cost, but the depreciation component of the lease payment is the spread between the actual cap cost and residual value. So a huge cap reduction resulting from discounting as opposed to buyer cash can result in a low depreciation component just as easily as a high residual value on a car with a modest or no cap reduction. When mixed with factory-subsidized money factors, outstanding lease deals can be arranged if your timing is good.

Jason B
02-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Pete

Well said. But they should have spent that 65 million when the Q45/M45 was first debuted.

InfiniteNisdom
02-01-2005, 12:04 PM
$65 million. I wonder if that means we can expect to see a commercial on Sunday.

Q2M_from_LS430
02-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Pete

Well said. But they should have spent that 65 million when the Q45/M45 was first debuted.

Hi Jason

Yes, I so wish they had. Here's what I believe happened: They did start doing SOME significant advertising in the first year or two of the current generation Q. I'll bet they saw a VERY disappointing uptick in sales as a response to those ads, and thus concluded that throwing more money at it would not be financially justifiable. They may also have concluded that the styling of the car was at fault, and they may have been right. (I STILL absolutely love it as do MANY others, but I also know this reaction is not universal.)

Unfortunately, the ads that were actually RUN, were, IMHO, really, really BAD. Infiniti SHOULD have looked at the poor sales response and decided "these ads are really, really BAD"

I think the ads have hugely improved with the the G35, FX, and QX56, and I'm hoping they'll have great success with the new M. Seems like history and the odds are on their side.

Pete

Jason B
02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes. The Q is a great reliable car that noone knows about.

Did you ever see this? Highest ranked premium luxury car:

http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2004055cfull.gif

Jason B
02-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Here are those past commercials. I liked them, but they were only around a few weeks.

"Power of speech" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_4t.jpg
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/q45/power_of_speech.mov

"Rear View" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_2t.jpg
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/q45/rear_view_2mb.mov

"Speed Effect" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_1t.jpg
http://www.burtmanindustries.com/q45/speed_effect.mov

Q2M_from_LS430
02-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Thats a great reference Jason. It fully supports my experience. For ALL the years I've had a Lexus LS, or a Q45 I've never had a failure. Just amazing. While my wife's Mercedes has had untold numbers of annoying problems. Nonetheless she still loves it.

For me reliability is VERY important, and there's way more than that that makes the Q my favorite. The M seems to have everything I love about the Q in spades, and likely a design that will be fully appreciated by the public at large.

Pete

Q2M_from_LS430
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Here are those past commercials. I liked them, but they were only around a few weeks.

"Power of speech" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_4t.jpg
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/power_of_speech.mov

"Rear View" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_2t.jpg
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/rear_view_2mb.mov

"Speed Effect" 2.5mb
http://www.darnellworks.com/a52/media/q45_1t.jpg
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/speed_effect.mov

Those WERE excellent commercials, no doubt about it. Do you agree with me about the sucko commercials that preceded them and actually ran for a period of time. One in particular that really failed in my view is the one that asks the question "What ever happened to the cars we were promised." While there's nothing wrong with that question, the amount of time they spend showing a 50's geek engineer, in a 50's film-like quality, just KILLED any image/branding potential IMO.

Pete

Incendiary
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes. The Q is a great reliable car that noone knows about.

Did you ever see this? Highest ranked premium luxury car:

http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2004055cfull.gif

Er, I think it's the second. LS is listed as highest there.

2HD
02-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Are you kidding? The reason why the Altima is such a sucess is because the huge marketing campaign. Infiniti has been lacking on the marketing, lets hope the actual ads are as impressive as the dollar amount.

dfw_danny
02-01-2005, 03:36 PM

The proper launch of a new product is essential, not just for the first year but for the residual effect that comes after the first year. The G35 is the best example of that.

Build the right product, get the right message, spend the money to get your message out and the results last long after the first year.

1995Q45
02-01-2005, 03:48 PM
"Conquesting will be our major task," says Jan Thompson, Nissan's vice president of marketing. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One would think Infiniti could hire someone who could conjugate at a 10th grade level before entrusting her with a $65M advertising campaign. How embarassing. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Incendiary
02-01-2005, 03:49 PM
"Conquesting will be our major task," says Jan Thompson, Nissan's vice president of marketing. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One would think Infiniti could hire someone who could conjugate at a 10th grade level before entrusting her with a $65M advertising campaign. How embarassing. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Actually, I think that's the proper way to use that term. How would you have conjugated it?

1995Q45
02-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Actually, I think that's the proper way to use that term. How would you have conjugated it?

You are kidding, right? Or maybe you are part of the target audience.

Here's a hint: Conquest is a noun. To conquer is the verb. I am sure you can determine the rest.

kennycrudup
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Here's a hint: Conquest is a noun. To conquer is the verb. I am sure you can determine the rest.

... and "conquesting" is "marketing-speak", and they have their own words, it appears. (Haven't you ever had to sit thru one of those bullsh!t-laden, PowerPoint-infested NewSpeak marketing presentations?!)

Incendiary
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM

You are kidding, right? Or maybe you are part of the target audience.

You apparently don't read enough about cars.

dfw_danny
02-01-2005, 10:23 PM
I believe that Nissan conjugated very well when they introduced the Q45 back in 1990. For my money let get to conquesting!

1995Q45
02-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I believe that Nissan conjugated very well when they introduced the Q45 back in 1990. For my money let get to conquesting!

Well, as H. L. once (kind of) said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", it is a paraphrase of the actual quotation.

The closest actual statement of Henry Louis (H. L.) Mencken seems to be:

"No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

"Hey, we're so stupid we cannot even master our own language! Buy from us!"

We'll see.

Incendiary
02-02-2005, 01:15 AM

Well, as H. L. once (kind of) said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", it is a paraphrase of the actual quotation.

"No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

We'll see.

Before you begin to think you're the smartest person in the world, google car and conquesting.

Why do you have two Q45's from the same year, anyway? Variety is the spice of life, you know. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

InfiniteNisdom
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM

We'll see.

I get what your saying, but let it go, its not that serious. It isn't like Infiniti released a commercial announcing they have changed their slogan to: "Infiniti, Conquesting the competition". Let it go, there's no need to worry about someone elses grammatical errors.

RandyWatson
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Well its a good move on Infinitis part as the no one still really knows what an Infiniti is. Hopefully they market it right as even the new infintii ads are better but still lacking.

And to the guy that says prestige doesn't matter, you are the .000001% of luxury car buyers. To most, that prestige matters tons. And perceived resale (even if the buyer has no intention of selling) is also big as luxury car buyers like owning cars that have its value.

They do have the product, the M35/45 is stellar. Lets hope they have the right marketing.

M_TYPE_X
02-02-2005, 08:05 PM

We'll see.

I get what your saying, but let it go, its not that serious. It isn't like Infiniti released a commercial announcing they have changed their slogan to: "Infiniti, Conquesting the competition". Let it go, there's no need to worry about someone elses grammatical errors.

1. "INFINITI - CONQUESTING THE COMPETITION!" will play well with Danny's Bush-loving backers who will buy these things. You know, the guys with strategerical nucular warheads as the art on their bank checks.

2. Talk about talking just to talk, I mean, you were just DYING to get that H.L. Mencken quote in there. I suppose I should ask someone else to deliver the rocks & trees to the set. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dfw_danny
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
"INFINITI - CONQUESTING THE COMPETITION!" will play well with Danny's Bush-loving backers who will buy these things. You know, the guys with strategerical nucular warheads as the art on their bank checks.

http://toons.artie.com/toons/hands_clapping/arg-hands-clap-fas-bluebg.gif

M_TYPE_X
02-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Glad you're enthused. Do NRA members get special discounts or service at Grubbs too?

Jason B
02-27-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm a little upset. I haven't seen any advertising yet on the new M? 65 million? All I keep seeing are these new Avalon commercials every 10 minutes.

340HP
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
I don't watch TV but there's been quite a bit of ads in magazines about the M. Reviews too.

I've heard some great numbers from dealers as well. Out of 40 vehicles arriving early March, Catena had 35 of them sold already about a week ago (mid-Feb). I'm also tlaking to people that have the RL and are considering the new GS - both groups tend to lean towards the M in terms of looks, options, and the price-point.

Once a great car, as Danny said, it will sell strong early on and all you need is to keep the public reminded of how awesome the product really is. eBay, Yahoo, Amazon, come to mind.. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif G35? Of course. The BMW 3-series killer. Can't wait for a shoot-out between the new 3 and the updated G.

Sheesh, can't wait for an M shootout!!

Mike_TX
03-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Glad you're enthused. Do NRA members get special discounts or service at Grubbs too?

If they don't, they by God should. Either that, or tree-hugging, big-government-loving tax-and-spend Liberals should have to pay cost + 20%.

(You asked for that with your snotty posts, you know. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Max Ima
03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
There's an excellent brochure/ad in the new Motor Trend. It's glued in. Beautiful photographs of the M. The car looks like it's worth as much as a Bentley.

tmds
03-06-2005, 08:21 PM
There's an excellent brochure/ad in the new Motor Trend. It's glued in. Beautiful photographs of the M. The car looks like it's worth as much as a Bentley.

You said this without posting scans? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif Does it have any photos that aren't in the normal M brochure?

InfiniteNisdom
03-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm still waiting to see a television commercial. Lexus has been showing commercials for the GS since February, before either of them were released.

Max Ima
03-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Sorry. No scanning ability. Anyone else out there have it?

222Max
03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm still waiting to see a television commercial. Lexus has been showing commercials for the GS since February, before either of them were released.

Same here. I've been looking for the M ads and invariably I'll stumble on the GS ads.

dfw_danny
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Same here. I've been looking for the M ads and invariably I'll stumble on the GS ads.

National M advertising starts in April. Major market ads kickoff in about a week.