PDA

View Full Version : Whats the average cost to get springs put on??

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 11:28 AM
I got some offers from some people for some springs Im thinking about buying, now I need to know whats the average cost to get them installed?

blacksr
12-29-2001, 04:21 PM
how about...free!!! do it yourself if you have the time and tools. it's easy. just get a $5 manual if you don't have one already and go to town...you'll thank yourself.

Mav1178
12-29-2001, 05:21 PM
If you let me do it, I'll do it for some pizza and some good coffee.

-alex

StealthmodeS14
12-29-2001, 05:35 PM
I actually thought of doing mine myself when ready for the install, but the sight of my parents signing my death certificate after I improperly worked the spring compressor and killed myself, I thought better of it.....I'm a dork....sue me http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 05:37 PM
Here in TX, I was quoted 6 hours at $77.50 p/h for a 4 strut and spring install.
I think this is on the high side http://www.freshalloy.com/
I would shop around in your area...

Hey BlackSR, I will pay you to install my struts for me , how much ?

oldyoung240sx
12-29-2001, 05:41 PM

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 08:23 PM
If you have a little patience it really isn't worth taking it to a shop. Spring/Strut installation was the first thing I did to the car and I had previously never worked on a car before. With a friends help it only took about 4-5 hours. I thought the hardest part was just getting the brake line unclipped from the front suspension.

But I would recomend getting an allighnment done afterwards.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 09:03 PM
the best price is buying Mav1178 some pizza, but honestly, 75-100 is a bit expensive. I think a good price is 40 bucks. But dont pay more than 50. But then again, I am in so cal and everything is so much cheaper over here.

and i think its so worth it to take it to a shop. You can pay 40-50 to pay a shop do it in an hour, or you can put in 4-6 hours trying to do it yourself and save the money, but to me my time is more important. and Spring sound east to install, but keep in mind your gonna ahve to jack up the car 4 times, run the risk of killing yourself if you have never used a spring compressor before, and getting all dirty and hurting yourself. spend the 40-50 buck.

my $.02
-Brian

StealthmodeS14
12-30-2001, 12:17 AM
I can say that a good price range for them to be installed is around $75~100......could be more....could be less...all depends on where you take them (obvious answer) http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
12-30-2001, 05:13 AM
Thank you all for the replies, I think Im going to find a cheap mechanic to put them on because the compressor thing scares me a little. I mean I like having all of my limbs. Thanks again

oldyoung240sx
12-30-2001, 10:08 AM

import silvia
12-30-2001, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moody240:
Thank you all for the replies, I think Im going to find a cheap mechanic to put them on because the compressor thing scares me a little. I mean I like having all of my limbs. Thanks again<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't a fragmentary device, as long as you compress and release in a uniform manner you'll be just fine. Take half the money you would spend to get it done buy the compressor, 4 jackstands, and a manual. It is really very easy on the 240 because the springs and struts are together.

d240t2
12-30-2001, 07:23 PM
With height adjustable coilovers, you don't even need a spring compressor. My favorite way to do springs is to step on the bottom of the shock and point the top away from you. Then use an impact wrench to remove the nut off the top...just make sure nobody is near the other side of it. Not the safest way, but it works, and is fun.

Depending on how much your springs lower, or if you have height adjustable coilovers, you could just assemble the coilovers without the springs compressed.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
12-30-2001, 07:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d240t2:
With height adjustable coilovers, you don't even need a spring compressor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THe spring compressor isnt to put the aftermarket springs on, its to take the stock springs off.

My favorite way to do springs is to step on the bottom of the shock and point the top away from you. Then use an impact wrench to remove the nut off the top...just make sure nobody is near the other side of it. Not the safest way, but it works, and is fun.

Dennis

dont tell an inexperienced guy that, he might kill himself. I remember when i was 15 and I helped a guy lower my friends car. He had me step on one side of the strut while he undid the top part. When it came loose, it scared the hell out of me!! but then again, I am woosy!!=D

**DONOTDELETE**
12-31-2001, 10:49 AM
Definately not for the inexperienced, but what Dennis said is the easiest way. Stand on the strut, and imapct it off. Sure, it throws the spring a few hundred feet, but you don't need it anyway. I've done over a dozen setups like this, takes less than 30 minutes to do a whole car. If I had to pay someone, it would be no more than $50, because it's even easier for a professional with all the right tools.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-31-2001, 11:25 AM
pizza and coffee for suspension install? cant beat that. i'll even toss in chicken wings and ranch dip...