PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal, etc

dan240t
12-29-2001, 04:57 PM
i have 59,xxx on my 97 SE, and today after washin my car i was putting it in the driveway. i moved my brothers 97 integra b18b (modded, turbo soon, stock clutch) and his clutch pedal was very easy to sink into the floor. i told my dad that i thought his clutch was going or something, and maybe had figured it was just the difference between honda and nissans clutches and my dad said mine was firmer to depress clutch pedal and that mine might have air in fluid or etc. my master and slave clutch cylinders are good as indicated by the oil change place i got done 2 days ago. (have only had this car a week now)

is the stock ka24de clutch pedal usually pretty firm or should i be wary of checking mine out sometime? mine is still good clutch, no slip or chatter or anything, and the pedal depresses smoothly just is firmer than my brothers honda. (the integra is a honda basically).

is this just a difference of brands?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, if you had air in your clutch line, the pedal would easily sink to the floor. The only gsr i've ever driven has ACT street disc, and HD pressure plate. This is the same clutch i have, (different app. of course) and the pedal feel was about the same.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2001, 05:44 PM
if its questionable about your pedal, then just have it bled. Noone can tell you the pedal pressure of your car. If the clutch system had air in it, it wouldnt necessarily mean the clutch would sink to the floor. chances are that your system is fine.

orion
12-30-2001, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by driftdan:
...figured it was just the difference between honda and nissans clutches and my

...is the stock ka24de clutch pedal usually pretty firm or should i be wary of checking mine out sometime?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My old Integra had a very weak feeling clutch...I went through 2 stockers in that thing. I also drove a turbo Integra the other night with and ACT and it was very easy to depress the pedal...

The stock 240SX clutches I've felt/driven have been nice and firm...right now I'm running a Centerforce pressure plate with a stock disc (taken from Garrett's car) and the feel is similar to the Integra clutch you described...soft. The stock clutch has a much better/firm feel. I wouldn't worry...

Catch up with Britt while he's home and feel his with the ACT...it's even more firm than stock. Can't wait to get one in mine...

By the way - did you fix the SES light?

Later - Brian

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: orion ]

s13dummy
12-30-2001, 09:54 AM
Let me tell you some nuts. My "premium replacement" Ram clutch. (Pretty much OE, but the guy at summit said it was a little better) Has about twice the distance to the floor as my sister's 96 240. I don't understand that.

mike2016
12-30-2001, 10:06 AM
i'm very questioning about the clutch pedal too. my 98 240 with 37k miles feels alright but its firmer than my friend's 95 with 70k. both have stock clutch. mine is slipping sometimes, it doesn't catch well when i shift at high rpm.

and my other car, 97 prelude with 65k miles, has a VERY firm clutch pedal, i've driven my friend's 01 prelude and it feels much/softer better than mine. it should be a stock clutch but i have no idea since I bought the car used with no mods. the clutch slips sometimes, and the pedal feel changes if i drive it hard, it would go twice the distance to the floor. i had the clutch line flushed before but the fluid gets dirty again quickly, i looked at the slave/master cylinder and they are ok. dont know why?? http://www.freshalloy.com/

BioSehnsucht
12-30-2001, 10:25 AM
From what my friend says, wire driven (as opposed to hydraulic) clutch systems tend to have less pedal effort..

s13dummy
12-30-2001, 10:37 AM
So is this supposed to answer my question? Why does my sister have such an easier time with her clutch? Before I replaced my factory clutch with 63K, I thought my sister's 60K clutch was in such better condition, her stock car could easily take mine. Due to the launching made easy due to her car's easy slippage of the clutch.

chris@speedalliance.com
12-30-2001, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure if I should be saying his...BUT...

I don't think it's fair to compare Honda clutches to NIssans. The majority of Hondas I've driven have very soft clutches.

Chris

redlyne
12-30-2001, 11:31 AM
There could be a zillion reasons why one clutch feels different than another.

Pedal free height, pedal length and pivot point (between two diff. cars), the health of your pressure plate, whether or not the pedal gets easier (or harder) to push as it swings through it's arc, the wear of a clutch disc over time, et al.

Really, it's kind of moot to compare "feel", esp. between two different model cars, w/o knowing the geometry of the pedal setup and the true force needed to disengage the pressure plate. http://www.freshalloy.com/

And even with two identical cars, they will most likely be different, because of variables like pedal height, manufacturing differences in the pressure plate, disc wear, how your leg feels that day, seat position, the shoes you're wearing, and so on. And yes, all these things make a difference. So, if your clutch does it's job to the extent you want, then be happy. Otherwise, buy a new clutch, or play w/ pedal geometry, or buy a new car. It's really that simple. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Sean