PDA

View Full Version : Story of a $8000 JGY Customs RIP-OFF!!!

matthew210det
02-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi, my name is Matt , I own a 54k mile(orig) 210 and wanted to share some info about my experience w/ an install gone very very wrong. JGY customs Inc., of Atkins VA, did the shoddy work.

If you're curious about how they ripped me off for $8000, check out: www.matthews210turboconversion.com (http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com)

-Matt

Kim_Jong_Il
02-15-2005, 07:45 PM
wow, they seem to have done the worst swap ever paid for, that is horrible.

ivanthieme
02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
holy crap... $8k and that's what you got????
i'd show up with a bat at his front door the next morning... SOBches http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

240trainee
02-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Yea, that is pretty bad. I always try to do my own work, for this reason, but to pay for a swap, and get this..... I swapped an engine better than this, and I was 16, it was my first car, first major engine work at all..... Unbelievable.

Punch
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
I would fvck those guys up. That's ridiculous. I hope you have taken some sort of legal action against them.

Big_Bronze_Rim
02-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I think little oompaloompas high on crack could have done a better job. Forget the bat, Id definitely have a lawyer all over them.

SilverArrow27
02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Ouch! Talking about incompetant mechanics. Looks like I could have done all that within a day.

RobUSAF81
02-16-2005, 01:17 AM
omg, looking at those pictures i couldnt believe it could get any worse but it just kept getting worse and worse with every click.

The cooling fan was wired backwards...wtf?!

Kim_Jong_Il
02-16-2005, 02:06 AM
I'm thinking about moving this post over to 240 basic since it seems most relevant there. Hmm...

BLKSX
02-16-2005, 07:38 AM
hey man you need to post that on midatlantic240sx.com that way none of the virginia boys know not to go there for sr20 work.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-16-2005, 11:55 AM
omg, looking at those pictures i couldnt believe it could get any worse but it just kept getting worse and worse with every click.

The cooling fan was wired backwards...wtf?!

Actually, it's wired correctly. Read his description. It pulls air through the radiator rather than pushes through. Well, that's how it's suppose to work when the fan sits behind the radiator and not in front...

So, I'd read the website with some caution.

Enceladus
02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Were these people aware that you are a mechanic? I don't know why they would try to bull**** you when you seem to know your stuff.

Did that nut in your turbo even belong anywhere? It is obvious that it was put there out of extreme retardation or blatant sabotage.

Is this the most Mickey Mouse, amateur bull**** you ever saw?

So funny yet so infuriating at the same time. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif

Punch
02-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm thinking about moving this post over to 240 basic since it seems most relevant there. Hmm...

Send it to basic, this definitely belongs there. There is no excuse for this work, this really boils my blood.

Brad
02-16-2005, 01:45 PM
well for what its worth, its pretty easy to drop nuts and bolts into the turbo compressor outlets....if you forget to plug them up of course

ill agree that you got jocked seriously...but at the same time with a custom car like that....half the fun is doing it all yourself

s13SRmadness
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
i just read that whole thing.
whatever about the fans... did you see everything else they butchered!!?!??!!?
the motor mounts seem to be the most disgusting thing they did. omfg...

steve shadows
02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
you would think some other cars they have worked on would be [censored] up too? anyone else on here have work done there?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Go read the counter point offered on a thread on SR20forums.com.

PS: I'm not partial to anyone in this situation, just want everyone to look at it with their eyes open, and fair.

2Fass240us
02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Matt: As a little bit of constructive criticism, you might want to make your website a little more objective...it sounds a little juvenile with the "Mr. JGY this" and "Mr. JGY that." I understand you're emotional, but try to realize that the emotion may detract from the point. I was able to pretty well stay focused, but it was a little distracting.

Best of luck,
Andy

KenFuji
02-16-2005, 08:55 PM
other side of the story (http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?p=937037#post937037)

orion
02-16-2005, 09:26 PM
...and the truth is always in the middle.

Enceladus
02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't know... upon looking at the "response to negative statements" thread and a few of the other negative feedback threads, i begin noticing a pattern. His answers to questions are pretty vague and he usually calls teh people sueing him "evil people." He also has a group of 5-6 or so people who post saying "yeah, we believe you Jason!" or " that other guy is so stupid! my car works fine!" or "i have never heard of this happening to a JGY car, it must be made up" or "you are an outstanding individual Jason!" etc. It seems like his friends are putting on a show of sorts.

his response to the shabby 210 work specifically do not address all the points one by one which would have helped his case a little bit. he only responded to a few of the accusations and claimed they were not his fault anyway. In reference to the burn out photo, he said it is a setup/chopped or something of that nature. For some reason JGY's stories seem slightly more suspicious then the complaints i have read.

JonCarson
02-17-2005, 03:10 AM
All I know is that pictures are pretty convincing and JGY seems to be responding to more complaints than any shop should.

Seems to me that they need to pick their jobs carefully, work on their professionalism, and improve quality control. Even if it means charging more so that they can do better quality work, it may be worth it.

2Fass240us
02-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Jason has a few key problems:

1) Timing: He recently hired a couple of people, which helps, but he has way too much work to do to get it all done in a timely fashion. I've sent two pieces off for machine work, and they have both taken way too long. I think this is a combination of lack of organization and lack of control over the machine shop he farms most of his stuff out to. Both are unacceptable IMO.

2) Professionalism: Jason jokes around a lot, and I think this puts some people off. This is especially the case if someone observes a conversation between him and someone he knows, and takes his comments as crass and unnecessary. I can certainly understand the need to joke around as I am afflicted with the same desire, but it must be set aside to portray a positive image.

3) Apathy: From a lot of stories I;ve heard, Jason just doesn't care about some things that a responsible shop owner should pay attention to, the main one being customer service. Regardless of how retarded a customer may be, you have to try your best to make them happy. Jason seems to have the "f*ck it, I'll get more customers" attitude, which'll eventually leave him with none.

I have had very few dealings with Jason and as such do not feel like the best person to speak on the subject. My polyurethane tranny mount came quickly, and it seems to be a nice piece. His machine-work turnaround times suck though, and even though the work comes back looking good, I cannot justify the time took to do the job.

SykikCHIMP
02-17-2005, 08:11 AM
..dude. I've got a friend who owns a machine shop here in charlotte. :-P They build parts for nasa and own several million dollars in CNC machines. Some really nifty ones that cut using electricity..

Punch
02-17-2005, 08:36 AM
I look at it this way, my clients require meticulous, well thought out service. I expect the same. There is nothing that irks me more than an idiot running a business. I have never had contact with anyone from JGY customs but it sounds like they are a bunch of clowns.