PDA

View Full Version : Clanking, tapping sound right beneath valve cover...any ideas?

chris@speedalliance.com
01-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Hey all...
Just tonite my car started to make a tapping sound right beneath the valve cover.

I could feel the tapping on the valve cover when I touch the cover.

Any clues...I have a FSM and will probably work on it this week.
THanks
Chris

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-01-2002, 02:17 AM
There's a possibility that your engine was built before Nissan removed the chain guards. Pull the valve cover to see if there is a broken chain guard resting on top of the timing chain. If so, remove and discard it.

chris@speedalliance.com
01-01-2002, 02:44 AM
Thanks T.Y.

I should mention that it is an S14, probably manufactured in late 94.

Also to add...the tapping is coming from the front of the valve cover...which is near the timing chain.

Chris

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: chris@speedalliance.com ]

Mav1178
01-01-2002, 03:20 AM
There are two upper timing chain guides, both of which can be removed...

I took both of mine off when I put on the DPR head, and have ran track events and logged lots of miles since then without any problems. Engine's a lot quieter, too!

-alex

Grant
01-01-2002, 03:36 AM
Hey Chris, Jared's car has the same problem, he was talking to some guy at the 240sx meet, and he also said it was the chain guides.

Anyways, I have a 1996 240sx, will I have this problem?

chris@speedalliance.com
01-01-2002, 11:12 AM
okay so after searching the forums...i found that I need to remove the upper chain guide...i think. i'll go read old threads one more time.

i guess i'll go ahead and do it tomorrow.

One last question...
Weh doing this procedure...will I be messing with my timing at all. I don't think so. But I was reading FSM and it says thing like TDC and other tech terms.

I've always wondered...how do you find TDC?
I've had this question ever since I wanted to swap cams on my old toyota truck.

Also...will I need to drain my oil? I just changed it today...in hopes that the rattle would go away.

Thanks.
Chris

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: chris@speedalliance.com ]

240sxTurbo
01-01-2002, 11:24 AM
No timing change, no need to drain oil. Pull off your valve cover, you will see a guard in the front with 2 bolts holding it on. Remove it(even if it ain't broke) and put the cover back on....WALLA done.

240sxTurbo
01-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Old one should be there, be a rubber gasket, it is a OEM nissan item, however if you remove slowly it shouldn't damage, and can be reused if not in bad shape. I recommend if its damaged to get a new one from Nissan.

d240t2
01-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Reseal the valve cover with a thin coat of Permatex as well. I have pulled valve covers a bunch of time and never had a problem reusing the factory gasket.

Dennis