PDA

View Full Version : Can someone verify Zenrin fixed the new-M Nav?

kennycrudup
02-23-2005, 12:08 PM
"Nearest Point-Of-Interest" (POI) handling in the current Nav used in the FXen and Gs is far less useful than in other makers' Nav systems. I see in the topic "Blown away by New 2006 M45 Electronics" that the Nav has been updated, so I'd like for someone to try the following test (hopefully with the car running, and outside):

- Go into whatever Nav menu you should to select "POI"
- Don't set a City
- Don't set a Category
- Search for something fairly common, like "Radio Shack"
- Hit "Nearby" (or equivalent)
- See if it'll find them

In the current Zenrin Navs, doing this will give you an error message after a lot of searching about "The Nearest POI is at least 30 miles away, please enter a city" (which is a huge BUG). It's really my only complaint about the Nav, and I hope Zenrin's heard the various complaints about it and have fixed it in the M.

aas5
02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I didn't spend much time looking at this specific option but I remember that when I tried to find the nearest ATM and gas stations the system gave me a list of the nearest ones without me inputting the city name. Once you do this it also keeps showing ATM and gas station signs on the map, I don't know if this is different from the one in FX.

kennycrudup
02-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I remember that when I tried to find the nearest ATM and gas stations the system gave me a list of the nearest ones without me inputting the city name

That actually works (the "Quick Stop" menu, right?) on the FX, too- but it's not set up for random POIs.

smthpal
02-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I think this only works for some specific categories such as ATMs, gas stations, restaurants etc.

I don't think that it works for a given POI (say I want to go to McDonalds, it wont do it, but it will do it for ALL fast food places).

I think missing this feature is a BIG negative of the system.