PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Question?

InfinitiFreak
03-06-2005, 04:22 PM
What happens when two b/t enabled phones enter the car?

340HP
03-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Read the manual. It's posted in PDF.

tmds
03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
What happens when two b/t enabled phones enter the car?

It's actually not clear from the manual. The manual states that although up to five phones can be paired with the car, only one phone can be "active" (in the sense that it is ready to make and receive calls) at any one time.

I am guessing that the car just gives preference to phones that were paired earlier, but I could be wrong. I hope it doesn't just select the first paired device to come within range each time it turns on. If my wife's phone is within range before mine for some odd reason, I don't want it selecting her phone for the whole drive. Or maybe I do. Who knows. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NCG35Coupe
03-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I never "permanently" have bluetooth on with my cell phone. Its mainly for security reasons - I attended a security conference 18 months ago and the topic of bluetooth hacking came up. They outlined how to disable a specific model phone via bluetooth that could only be fixed by a trip back to the manufacturer.

I considering the M myself and would love to know the answer, even though my wife doesn't currently have a bluetooth phone (although this would likely quickly change if we get a bluetooth car or two).

Ohmster
03-06-2005, 09:55 PM
If the phone is not in 'discoverable' mode, it would be near impossible to breach it's integrity over bluetooth. Only 'trusted and paired' devices would be able to communicate with the unit at all. That is my understanding, I would be quite surprised if this was else wise. Even in discoverable mode, there is usually (if not always) a two way handshake required for the unit to pair with another device. I would be curious to know how anyone could 'force' this via one way communication effort.

Did they actually demonstrate this 'hack' at the conference or was it just an 'outline'.

I never "permanently" have bluetooth on with my cell phone. Its mainly for security reasons - I attended a security conference 18 months ago and the topic of bluetooth hacking came up. They outlined how to disable a specific model phone via bluetooth that could only be fixed by a trip back to the manufacturer.

I considering the M myself and would love to know the answer, even though my wife doesn't currently have a bluetooth phone (although this would likely quickly change if we get a bluetooth car or two).

saabfan
03-07-2005, 12:41 AM
I was in several Ms this weekend and here's my understanding of the issue. You press 'phone' on the dash and then you will see the paired phones mated to the car. Select the phone you wish to use and you're set. I guess it sticks with the selected phone until you tell it otherwise. But I don't think it's possible to use more than one phone at once.

NCG35Coupe
03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
They didn't demonstrate the hacks, but they are certainly out there and far from nearly impossible:

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5KP0220F5E.html

Just a point of information though, most of us will never get hacked, even if we leave bluetooth on all the time.

If the phone is not in 'discoverable' mode, it would be near impossible to breach it's integrity over bluetooth. Only 'trusted and paired' devices would be able to communicate with the unit at all. That is my understanding, I would be quite surprised if this was else wise. Even in discoverable mode, there is usually (if not always) a two way handshake required for the unit to pair with another device. I would be curious to know how anyone could 'force' this via one way communication effort.

Did they actually demonstrate this 'hack' at the conference or was it just an 'outline'.