PDA

View Full Version : APS Twin/Single Turbo Is Coming For G!

BrianlG35C
03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I thought I'd give you fellow G owners that may not check other forums, a news flash/update on the new APS TT and ST coming available this year. It looks like APS is way to go (for Turbos) to stay with stock internals with low boost for reliable 380-400whp. Time will tell but several 350Z owners have done this for thousand of miles without any problems. One in IL, owned by GRD Performance is running over 500whp with stock internals! The following are some posts by Peter @ APS (airpowersystems.com) on other forums that may interest you....

APS

For day to day driving the APS single turbo system is very tractible and designed for up to 500 WHP though most guys with stock engines will most likely be happy with 350 to 400 WHP.

Obviously the APS TT system will be capable of much higher power with a built engine, the single turbo is good for around 600 HP flywheel where as the APS Twins are capable of up to 800 HP flywheel.

The APS single Intercooled Turbo System should really be compared to supercharger products not the bigger Twin Turbo systems, with a very affordable MSRP and around 12 hours of install time the APS single will be a very fast Z car and an excellent alternative to other lower cost FI products.

The Z with the APS single will be capable of low 12, high 11 sec ET's with around 8 PSI turbo pressure and drag radials.

Thanks

Peter

Just thought I let you know the boost must come on nice and early on the APS single turbo................just had a good run with a 996 twin turbo porsche and i was very surprised that he only got me by about half a car lenth, we started at around 50 MPH and raced unto (dare I say it) up to 140 MPH..............ah well I gave him a god run for the money.

I reckon he will be a lot more careful next time he comes up against a black track model Z car.

No doubt the APS twin turbo system comes on to power a little earlier than the larger APS single turbo though the single turbo is no slacker by any means.

In fact the APS single is real quick, very quick at full throttle when getting through the gears, no doubt the gear ratios are ideal and this really helps the rapid acceleration of the APS single turbo system.

Make no mistake this quick spooling of the APS single turbo system can be attributed to the superb engineering in the APS/Garrett dual ball bearing turbo (GT 35/40) and the clever exhaust manifolding designed by APS engineering staff.

The exhaust manifolding (hence the turbo poosition) has been cleverly designed to ensure the smoothest and shortest route for the exhaust GAS energy beteween the cyl heads and the Dual Ball Bearing turbocharger, this really makes a HUGE difference to the overall turbo response and low to mid rpm power delivery.

Some large turbos create power lag though I can assure you with complete confidence that this APS single turbo system has awesome response and power delivery..............definitely a mid 12 sec car.

Thanks

Peter

The APS single turbo system will be very complete, with every nut, bolt, and washer required for the installation.

The required exhaust system components (polished 304 stainless steel pipes) will be provided in the APS turbo system, a massive down pipe and a special exhaust connector will allow the connection to the stock exhaust at the mid flange position.

The APS intercooled single turbo system will be perfect as a daily driver, there's absolutely no need to upgrade the internals as long as the engine is tuned safely for the fuel octane you run in your Z car.

One of the other significant benefits of the APS single turbo system is the quick and easy installation, I reckon with basic hand tools the entire APS single turbo system could be easily installed in under 2 days by any car enthusiast who like holding a spanner and tinkering with his car.

Peter

Aps is working dilligently towards producing the highest quality turbo system and to find the most cost effective production methods possible. This said the current exchange rate between the US$ and the Aust$ has APS under severe pressure and I suspect that the MSRP for the single turbo system will be around $5700 US$.

I'm positive that the APS single turbo system will deliver awesome performance for the $$$$ spent and the completeness of the single turbo system is also very important, no hidden dollars to spend after the initial purchase.

The priority and total focus for the moment is the G35 Twin Turbo system, the testing should be completed by the end of March if all goes to plan .

Development and testing will then start on the single turbo system to suit the G35, if this proves to work as well as the APS single turbo for the Z car then I think it's very possible that a single turbo system will be released for the G35, I certainly hope so.

Thanks

Peter

I know there's a lot of info. to take in but I thought it might interest some who are considering FI. I'm very excited about both kits. Can't wait!

Moderators: Please leave in general G35 forum for a while so more can view. Thx. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D_Nyholm
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Looks pretty cool. But sconsidering there are a lot of turbo kits out there.....we'll have to see some comparos

BrianlG35C
03-10-2005, 11:04 AM
From all the research I've done, tuners, and Z owners who've installed these kits, APS is said to be the highest quality and very complete kit. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Riffster
03-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I have heard of this mod through SGP Racing website in Houston (a pre-eminent modder of Nissan's.) They have announced the sale of the APS for quite a while. They are pricing the unit (with intercooler I believe) at $7450.00 and call it the best they've seen - and they also sell the GReddy and Power Enterprises Turbos for the G and Z (and will be selling the JWT turbo when it is released although I doubt they have compared the JWT to the APS.)

I still would be REAL cautious about heightened boost with stock internals, even if the APS is the finest turbo kit ever produced. Pressure is pressure, regardless of brand!

But it does look like an interesting choice for those who want FI.

- Riff

BrianlG35C
03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I have heard of this mod through SGP Racing website in Houston (a pre-eminent modder of Nissan's.) They have announced the sale of the APS for quite a while. They are pricing the unit (with intercooler I believe) at $7450.00 and call it the best they've seen - and they also sell the GReddy and Power Enterprises Turbos for the G and Z (and will be selling the JWT turbo when it is released although I doubt they have compared the JWT to the APS.)

I still would be REAL cautious about heightened boost with stock internals, even if the APS is the finest turbo kit ever produced. Pressure is pressure, regardless of brand!

But it does look like an interesting choice for those who want FI.

- Riff

I know the kit has been out for the 350Z for a while but not the G. This TT will be available for the G this summer. The ST will be hopefully available this fall.

I understand the restraint on FI with stock internals but several Zs have been running APS TT for thousand of miles without issue. I feel and confirmed by APS that if it's properly installed, tuned, proper fuel octane and oil are delivered and boost is kept low, there shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said there's a Z with over 500whp with stock internals running fine. All I want is 360-380whp. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

trebien
03-10-2005, 01:38 PM
When you speak of being "cautious" with stock internals... are you referring to the actual strength of some of the components being in question, or are you more so referring to the fact that it is already a fairly high compression engine, which would make detonation more likely with an FI setup?

If it's the internals, are not the crankshaft, etc. forged? Or is there a weak link that I am missing?

Thanks - just not something I've really researched, since I just got my 05 6MT.

D_Nyholm
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
From what I understand, the connecting rods and the pistons ARE NOT forged. This can cause a problem if you get any sort of detonation. Of course, forged does not mean that you are safe, your motor just has a slightly higher threshold for 'pain'(detonation).