PDA

View Full Version : timing chain rattle? .wav file

knate
03-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I recently changed my timing chain tensioner, and noticed the engine making this noise. It's sort of a random rattle, coming from the head. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain, but don't know why. It may have been doing this before the tensioner, I'm not really sure. Anything else it might be? Why might the timing chain rattle with a brand new tensioner? Here's a wav file of it..

Rattle (http://members.cox.net/knate/enginerattle.wav)

steve shadows
03-15-2005, 04:24 AM
i have the same noise it just popped up a couple days ago, going to pull the valve cover, take out the cams, bleed the lifters and check the timing chain tensioner?

anyone else hear this kind of thing before?

mines a lot louder than that.

-steve

knate
03-15-2005, 12:14 PM
If that helps your noise let me know Steve. I'm going to pull the valve cover today and make sure nothing is loose, but I don't have time to pull the cams.

steve shadows
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
anyone else have an opinion

steve shadows
03-15-2005, 09:25 PM
HELLLOOOOO,

im just sooo lazy anyone have an opinion before i tear her head off.

DeatschWerks_Dave
03-16-2005, 12:40 AM
I have what I believe is a timing chain rattle and it sounds nothing like that. Mine is more rattle like and more intermittant. Yours seems to be much more rhythmic and steady.

I dunno. I have checked my oil pressure and replaced the tensioner with the upgraded one, it is a little better but still there. It also seems worse when I need to change my oil.

Does yours go away with a little touch of the throttle? mine does.

SR240sx
03-16-2005, 01:22 AM
That sounds almost exactly like the timing chain guide when it was making noise on my SR. It's super easy to remove, takes about 20mins.

knate
03-16-2005, 03:37 AM
That sounds almost exactly like the timing chain guide when it was making noise on my SR. It's super easy to remove, takes about 20mins.

This seems to be what my problem was. I couldn't find anything wrong under the valve cover, and the chain seemed very tight where the tensioner was. However, the top portion of the chain can't really be tensioned because there is just a set number of teeth between sprockets. My upper guide had definite grooves in it from the chain.

I moved it up about a millimeter by putting washers under the base. So far the noise hasn't returned. If yours sounds like that, check your upper guide Steve. I think it's just from the chain being old.

And if you can get your valve cover off and back on in 20 mins, your a better man than me!

smokem240
03-16-2005, 12:02 PM
mine sounded just like that, and then it spun a rod bearing

steve shadows
03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
yeah but the noise i have is defintly coming form the head